“Like a old country buffet”

North Country Steak Buffet
Ranked #19 of 205 Restaurants in La Crosse
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Buffet
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

It was like a old country buffet but a lot better.
The Sirloin steak was great and as much as you like.
The rest was just average but for 11 bucks you can't beat the deal.
We had a group of 16 and got seated very quickly on a busy Labor day weekend

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I brought my hubby and teenage son here quite a few times when my kid lived in LaCrosse. They are big steak and potato eaters and this place fit the bill. It's hard to find a place anything like it anywhere else. Salad bar is good too. Decor is a bit dated and booths are small, but who cares.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

One would be tempted to think that any place that advertises itself as an All You Can Eat Steak Buffet can NOT possibly be all that good. Well, I tried this place to see if it was possible and it is.

At least one of the reviews complained about the decor, and it is dated, and the ceiling could use a fresher coat of paint, but that has nothing to do with the food.

The staff here were exceedingly friendly on our recent Thursday evening visit. Not having eaten here before when asked we were given a thorough explanation of the what's, where's and how's at the place and we soon knuckled down to eating.

The steaks on the grill are 5 oz. sirloins -- not always the tenderest of cuts but these were well prepared. With some always on the griddle they are quickly to your plate to the doneness you request. My 3 trips back for Medium Rare steaks were all on point! In addition there is cooked to order sirloin burgers and chicken (4 oz.) breasts. All available with a variety of sauces (several different BBQ varieties, horseradish, hot sauce) and several dry seasoning mixtures.

The rest of the buffet wasn't stunning but it was good american fare. During our visit there were also boneless BBQ pork (good but could have been hotter), beef stew -- terrific and tender, spaghetti with marinara sauce, several hot vegetables, salad bar, dessert bar, and ice cream.

This isn't 'fine dining' fare but it's nicely prepared honest food at a better-than-fair price. I'd return in an instant. Would I be a regular guest if I lived in town... no telling. I usually change up my visits and we don't go back to too many places. But I'd certainly visit once or twice a year if I were a townie.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It is just an all around good place to eat at....was even nice when you were staying across the street from it.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

First, the picture a the head of this listing IS NOT this restaurant. This was a Ponderosa steak house and has not been heavily remodeled. It's a bunch of tables in a somewhat dark room with about eight foot ceilings.
The whole point is all you can eat 5 oz sirloins, if your main interest is a lot of beef, this is your place. The steaks are not bad, but they are mass grilled mediocre cuts. Normally you can get your choice of doneness immediately.
There are the usual buffet side dishes, including fried chicken and fried and baked fish.
The potatoes, vegetables and desserts are best left where they are. If you're concerned about a balanced diet, bulk up on the other stuff at other meals.
If you want cheap meat, this is the place to meet.