“Service was good, everything else was average”
Review of Fayze's

Fayze's
Ranked #12 of 204 Restaurants in La Crosse
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was the last place my girlfriend and I decided to try before I left town. We saw a lot of great reviews on tripadvisor and we were expecting a great meal. I'll start off with the good and say that the server was very nice and the food came out quickly. I will say that I had to ask if we received rolls/bread with our meal (I only asked because their tagline is that you'll love their buns so it seemed natural to me that they would give you some) and she said yes and that she forgot to bring them out, but they were making some fresh ones right now. When she did bring them, they were completely cold and definitely not fresh out of the oven. However, they did taste fresh and they were good.

I rarely write bad reviews so I don't want to sound too negative, so I'll be brief. But there were a lot of bads. First, I feel we got the worst table in the restaurant. If they try and seat you to the left of the hostess stand, avoid it. You are directly next to where the servers roll their silverware (loud and annoying), directly next to where they come in and out of the kitchen (loud and lots of activity), directly next to where they put in their orders (again, lots of servers running around), and the wall between you and the hostess is where they put their menus. So every few minutes someone would slam the menus in to the holder and it would shake the pictures on the wall.

We both ordered pastas. The food was ok, but frankly it wasn't anything amazing. I would certainly eat it again, but it wasn't worth $15/plate. It was a lot of food and the leftovers could have lasted us another meal or two, so maybe that's why it's so expensive; but typically when I go to a restaurant and pay that much for a meal, I expect it to be fine dining. It simply wasn't.

I don't mean to beat Fayze's down, if I lived in town then I would go back. I really hate writing bad reviews. I just think it's overpriced and over-hyped for what it is. Certainly if I had taken my girlfriend there on a nice date then I would have been very upset.

There are newer reviews for Fayze's

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We eat out frequently, and have struggled to find a consistently good place for breakfast. I think we found it with Fayze's. Lots of really unique and delicious items on the menu. I had a gyro omelet, and my wife had the southwest scramble. Both were huge portions and tasted delicious. Other menu items I saw served at other tables looked great too. The best part is the reasonable pricing. OUTSTANDING.

1  Thank 71dp64
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Fayze's will rate as one of my top five restraunts ever visited.Went to visit the kids & grandkids.They suggested Fayzes.We aren't from the area so we agreed to go there.BEST choice ever.For a total of 5 adult meals,with an appetizer,(the young ones split a meal.Our total bill was only $58.00 !!!!!! And we were full !!! And the food was FANTASTIC,along with a great wait staff.Can't wait to visit again.......because I already know where we'll be eating !!!!!

1  Thank Jeff B
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Atmosphere was a bit dark for my taste. I really prefer sunshine and I don;t think there were any windows. The cranberry walnut bread that my chicken salad sandwich was on felt like it had been toasted. It wasn't. This is never a good sign but our excellent waiter brought me a fresh piece. He should have brought 2 pieces since I had 2 pieces of hard bread but I'm giving him credit for trying. I ordered a piece of apple pie bar from the bakery case to go. It was so good I ended up eating it all so I ordered 3 more pieces to go! It honestly rivaled my mother's Danish Pastry Apple Bars. That's extremely high praise! I ordered a Talame bun also just because so many people had mentioned they were wonderful. They were right! The coffee was hot and fresh and excellent. The young man at the bakery counter was kind enough to take our pictures, even though he was busy. Many thanks. Bakery prices were an absolute steal. I wish I lived closer to this restaurant and bakery! I would eat here often.

1  Thank trulike
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We were in a time crunch and the only place that fit our schedule was Fayze's. Good food and not overpriced. Our server was excellent. Think his name was Lloyd. He took very good care of us.

1  Thank Barbersinger