“Great choice”

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great choice”
Reviewed January 22, 2008

I stayed here for a full week during a trip for work. This place was suggested (along with a couple others) by the folks i was doing the work for.

I often travel alone and as a woman I always look for a place that will be safe. This hotel provided a comfortable safe place to stay for my week long trip.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to cleanliness of a hotel, but I always want a cheap price so sometimes it's hard to get both. They gave me the government discount and it was up to my standard of cleanliness. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

I took full use of the kitchen. A note about the previous review that stated there was no kitchen-ware: It's all in the dishwasher when you arrive in your room (there's a note in the cupboard that states so). I too wondered where all the kitchen stuff was at first.

All in all this was a great hotel and I would definitely recommend this one to friends... and strangers for that matter.

• Liked — Comfort and convenience
  • Disliked — Ocassional wireless internet connection problems.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank PickyTravelerMN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
west bend wi
Reviewed November 9, 2007

This hotel is clean and comfortable. It was nice to have a seperate bedroom for our family of 3 to stay here. The breakfast was ok. The location next tothe bike trails and the river is great. I had planned to make a meal or 2 but there was no silverware, plates, bowls. nothing really to use to "cook" anything. We did use the frig, but couldn't use the rest of the kitchen.

2 Thank wbwis
Wisconsin
Reviewed October 26, 2007

I had never heard of GrandStay before we spent a night there and actually wished we needed to stay longer! Due to a large convention in town and short notice on our part (the day of--October 24th), we were offered the handicap accessible room. It had a walk-in shower rather than a tub, which was fine by us. With a wooden bench, though, the shower was tight but before his turn, my husband walked in and flipped it up against the wall (which it's made to do) and then the shower was great.

The room was very spacious, with two queen beds plus a fold-out couch. We also had two TV's, with separate remotes and with the room design, we weren't disturbed if watching different programs. The beds were very comfy and temperature was perfect and easy to control with a room thermostat verses in-wall noisy mechanisms. Hotel staff were very courteous, friendly and professional. Had we needed to stay longer, we would have had the use of a full kitchen with refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher as well as sitting area.

The room and entire hotel were beautifully decorated, clean, and inviting. The pool, whirlpool and fitness room were all handy and the vending area had everything from frozen pizza, ice cream and cold coffee drinks to specialty chips and snacks--a nice touch. The continental breakfast was well done, with items such as muffins, yogurt, cereal, bagels, breads, juices & coffee. The hotel is located at the end of a street and is very quiet yet within a few blocks of downtown and next to the walkway that leads to Riverside park on the Mississippi River. I've stayed at the Radisson and the Holiday Inn Courtyard, both nearby, but will be choosing the GrandStay for future visits. The value can't be beat!

• Liked — Spacious, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank delamills
NJ
Reviewed October 24, 2007

Booked this a month in advance, then called twice to reconfirm, then called the day of arrival and they still did not hold the room for late arrival despite my credit card guarantee. They dumped me over to a marginal place 20 minutes away. This is not worth the gamble!

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank CycleJim
Chicago
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I'll start with the good so no one gets the wrong impression, because I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel. The hotel is up to date and clean, our room was very spacious, especially for the price. The lobby is so nice I almost expected to see a concierge and bell captain, but it's not that genre of hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, which is not always the case with the older franchise joints, for sure. The location is excellent, continental breakfast was more than adequate. My non-smoking room was a non-smoking room, so that was good.

As I have found most hotels will do, they put me in a handicapped-accessible room with no warning. I don't think you should have to cross-examine the front desk to find out things like this about the room they are going to give you. If anyone has ever gotten such a room, you know the bathroom is very inconvenient for non-handicapped people. For example, there is no room to stand up in the shower due to the wooden benches. Also not much room at the sink to set your shaving kit on. The A/C unit was a bit loud, but since it was built into the wall, it was quiter than most all-in-one units that sit below the window.

• Liked — Clean, modern, large room at a reasonable price.
  • Disliked — Handicap-accessible bathroom, tiny pool (which my son still loved).
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank trvlng_patent_lawyer
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Exceptional suite.....received a government rate...it was worth every penny. Great location. Attentive service. Kitchen is stocked with plates, cups, utensils, etc....Only drawback was....no business center for computer access. Will stay again.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank cactus7
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 5, 2005

First, the location: Perfect! It's at the north end of the riverfront park and walkway, which made for a lovely stroll into downtown along the Mississippi.

The suite was a one-bedroom apartment with a living room and an efficiency kitchen (full-size fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher) w/ dining nook. I note this because so many places are calling their rooms "suites" these days when actually, it's just a regular motel room with a couple extra feet, or a sofa wedged in.

I was in La Crosse to lecture at the university, so even though there was no government rate coming up in the search, I called the hotel directly and they honored the university rate of $62. Which was a fantastic bargain, but I'd have gladly paid $100+ a night for what I got.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business