“Inexperienced help”
Review of Pogreba Restaurant

Pogreba Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 203 Restaurants in La Crosse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our staff prides itself in not only creating and delivering a superior product, but in building meaningful relationships with our guests. Join us for dinner and try one of our signature beef,seafood, pork, or pasta dishes. Cocktail with friends and family atop our unique mezzanine level or relax bar side and get to know our talented staff. Catering any and all events. Stop in and see what all the buzz is about on La Crosse's north side...Pogreba Restaurant
Winona, Minnesota
“Inexperienced help”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a new waiter who was working without someone who knew what was going on. He didn't know the menu, the specials. For the price of the food, we expect more knowledgable waitstaff.
The food was very mediocre. The grilled romaine salad was good, but the portion is overwhelming.
Sorry, we really wanted to like this place,

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank OnTheRoad1947

Dobbs Ferry, New York
“Elegant dining!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a wonderful restaurant! I've eaten there twice while visiting in the La Crosse area and have found the food exceptional, the service great and the ability of staff and kitchen to accommodate the needs of adults with child wonderful! Their seafood hot pot was to die for!

Visited June 2013
Onalaska, Wisconsin
“Great Experience”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My family has been to Progreba's twice and we are going there again tonight. With several mediocre dining establishments to choose from, we were pleasantly surprised at the great atmosphere Progreba's offered. Though the location of the restaurant leaves a little to be desired, the dining experience is wonderful, the waiters are great and food is unique and fantastic. I would recommend this restaurant!

• Visited March 2013
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“less pretentious food second time around”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went right around the opening and found a restaurant and chef trying to show off. No salt and pepper on the table, only flavored butter available. Also, our plates were decorated with a smear of what I assumed was a Balsamic reduction, but when I tried it found it to be grape jelly (really!).
On our second visit we found the the emphasis more on well prepared food rather than a showy presentation. Much more emphasis on seafood than at other area restaurants.
There is a poorly done website available, but it had little real information last time I checked.
Large selection of beer available.
The extensively remodeled church is very classy and attractive, giving little evidence of it's previous use. The former choir loft is a lounge area for the bar.
Windows are tall and large, overlooking the street on one side and the neighbor's back yard with flower and water garden on the other. The windows feature translucent multi-colored glass on the lower sections.
The most physically impressive restaurant in the area, although I have never been to Chateau LaCrosse, so cannot compare with them.
A place to bring guests when you want to impress.
Located in a primarily residental neighborhood, although there are a number of antique and specialty stores a block to the West. Parking on the street or in an unpaved lot across the street from the building.
Currently only open for dinner, starting at 4 PM.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Donald E A
Midwest
“Tried again, 100 times better!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Wow. When I visited Pogreba a couple years ago, I had a bad experience - bad food and bad service. I went there again a couple days ago and had the best meal I've eaten in recent memory AND outstanding service.

I ordered Parmesan Crusted Salmon, and it was incredibly tasty. It was a rather large portion (8 oz.), so I intended to eat half and take half home. HA! I cleaned my plate. The salmon, wild rice medley, and asparagus were all just too good to not finish.

Our waiter knew every last detail about the menu. We asked a lot of questions, and he could answer everything. He described each menu item in thorough detail and was friendly and professional.

My dinner companion ordered dessert -- a lovely key lime dessert with lots of whipped cream and limoncello poured over the top. I had a bite, and again - the best thing you can even imagine.

One sort of interesting thing about Pogreba is the atmosphere. It's pretty classy, but the thing that struck me is that, though the restaurant was full, it wasn't noisy.

I wish I could delete my old review. They've completely turned things around. I can't wait to go back!

If you are in La Crosse, you should try Pogreba. They have a unique menu and are definitely one of the most upscale restaurants in town!

• Visited March 2013