“crappy attitude”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“crappy attitude”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

When checking in last weekend I was told right off the bat that the hotel was sold out. I was also told that since I was using Reward Points, there were no upgrades available. I was told the only room was across from a meeting room which was being used to store bikes and had numerous people going in and out and talking right outside the room. Plus the window was right next to the front door and the circle drive. Also in my profile, I always request a high floor. Why there was NO EFFORT to satisfy my reservation, I do not know.
When I complained, I was told the only other room I could have was wheelchair accessable. I gladly accepted as it was better than the worst room in the house they had me in before. However, the beds in those rooms are also not the normal Marriott beds and when I took a shower the entire bathroom floor got wet as there is not a normal shower. Just a hand shower in a tiled room with a plastic curtain.
I find it impossilble to believe that every room in the hotel was already take when I checked in at 4pm. Oh and did I say, I have been a Platinum Elite member for many years and spend 200+ nights on the road. This was by far the worst experiance I have had.
Don't expect much.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bradley H, Front Office Manager at Courtyard La Crosse Downtown/Mississippi Riverfront, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry that your stay was less than expected. I can certainly understand the frustration of having simple requests that were not met. We do our very best to honor requests and to provide upgrades to our Elite guests whenever possible; however, sometimes despite our best efforts, it is simply not possible to meet the requests of all of our guests. I am sorry that we were not able to give you a higher floor room. At check-in, the front desk clerk was trying to convey that we would very much liked to have given you, a platinum guest with a rewards stay, a complimentary upgrade, but because we were sold out, we were unable to do so. I apologize that this was not communicated in an effective way and came off as sounding uncaring.

We would welcome any specific comments about the bed in the accessible room where you slept. These are the same beds that we have throughout our property, but if there is an issue with the bed that you slept on, we would certainly welcome the opportunity to have it corrected.

I apologize that the only rooms we had to offer you were a noisy first floor room and an accessible room with a walk in shower. Hopefully, you will allow us the oportunity on a future stay to prove to you how much we value our platinum guests.

the front office manager at the La Crosse, WI Courtyard by Marriott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Audubon, Iowa
Reviewed July 22, 2013

WE loved the outside seating and fire pit,they did shut lights and fire pit off and bar closed early for some weekend guests, It was nice to see boaters going on the river .Bar and morning breakfast not complementary, and some what limited and priced kind of high but very good. STARBUCKS COFFEE bar was great but price was too, AN option of eating downtown was offered by many of the businesses close to the hotel offered a nice verity of choices ,Piggy"s was a fine place for Dinner or breakfast,and drinks ,it is just a few steps away from the hotel.The staff was helpful and nice,The Hotel was not real large,and nice decorated,very new look.The bed was very confartable and room clean and nice,restroom was a little small.The room we had was more a mini suit street side.Air conditioner worked real well and very quiet.The mini frig only stayed on 2 hours but Ice could be used for our cooler

Room Tip: the rooms on the river side are said to be much larger but more money ,our room was very nice ,cooli...
2 Thank Vic G
Jordan
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had the pleasure to spend a night at this hotel - it was excellent!! The staff were very friendly, hotel was modern and in great condition, and our room was great. Very clean, and we were upgraded to a riverview room. I was very happy with pretty much everything! Only downside was the lineup for the Bistro (Starbucks) in the lobby - only one barista was working at the time.

1 Thank Jason B
illinois
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is located right on the river in downtown La Crosse. We enjoyed dinner at the next door Piggy's restaurant and took a relaxing stroll along the riverside walk to the adjacent park with its fountains, flowers and statuary. Our check-in was efficient and friendly. Our (upgraded) room was spacious, with a view over the river. The pool is smallish and located in a space that also has river views. It was rather cold when we used it early in the morning. I don't like the Courtyard/Starbucks bar/serveries, but this one was well run, with relaxed bar service and efficiency in the morning. The bar looks out onto the river, and there is an outside seating area on the river.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alveric
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this place based off reviews and the staff suggesting they are the "only" hotel on the water. The place is not on the water and you have to walk to the park about 75 Yards away to the right to get your water experience. This is a very busy waterfront with other hotels such as the Radisson also adjacent to the front. The location is ideal..you can walk to Qwik Trip as well as many food places. If you stay here you should use points, miles or make sure you get a good discounted rate. Even the AAA rate isn't much. There is no free breakfast. There is free parking and free internet. The staff is very helpful. Especially the grave yard shift gentlemen. He loves his jobs and is very knowledgeable of the area!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the water. The traffic on the entrance and the restaurant across the street may wa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jdreynoldsjr
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Nice Marriott on the river. I am from the La Crosse area but stayed here for pleasure with the family over the weekend. I've stayed in dozen's of Marriott's as an Elite member and this hotel is modern and clean, rooms are of avg size, and the bathrooms are smaller than expected. Front desk service is friendly and helpful and the kids loved the pool. The cafe is overpriced for below avg food but had a nice patio overlooking the Mississippi.

We only had two issues... We requested a cot for our 2 yr old. Upon opening it during bedtime, we found soiled sheets and someone's old clothes still in it. This gave me the creepy-crawlies so we called the front desk and they changed the linens. In addition, after further inspection of the room we found an old pacifier under the curtains. These two issues were not a deal-breaker but it made me feel the cleaning standards at this property are below standard and easily overlooked.

Usually the front desk offers some bonus points for inconveniences like this, but I was not offered any.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ntwkstudent
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed June 10, 2013

In LaCrosse for a 2-day business trip. I'm partial to Marriott properties and this one was very nice. Clean, well-kept and the staff was fantastic. This one was about 2 long blocks from the convention center where my meeting was. My room (3rd floor) was quiet and comfortable. Both the WiFi and Wired net services were very fast and reliable with very easy login and no dropped connections during large uploads/downloads.

The staff were exceptional: From the cleaning staff to the font desk for making recommendations for dinner, all were cheerful and helpful. Kudos to all!

My only "cons" associated with the hotel were (1) it was kind of pricey for a Courtyard (in excess of $200/night total) and (2) no free breakfast. Competing brands from other major hotel chains (not as close to the convention center though) are a bit less expensive and offered some freebies for business folks to get their day going, like some kind of food (even fruity would be satisfactory) and coffee. (C'mon, folks, even full-service Marriott properties in convention cities have lobby coffee available!)

Even with the minor "cons" I still highly recommend the property.

Room Tip: If you can, get a river-view one. Awesome view in the morning as the sun comes from behind you!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business