“A great place if you want great food and don't have high expectations for service”

Dublin Square Irish Pub & Eatery
Ranked #5 of 203 Restaurants in La Crosse
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Traditional Irish pub & eatery located on 3rd and Main in downtown La Crosse, WI. Great place to watch sports, watch live music, hang out with friends, eat delicious food, and participate in good conversation. We're all a wee bit Irish at Dublin Square. Stop in and see for yourself! Recently voted Best Burger in La Crosse. Took Runner-up in Best Bloody Mary, Best International/Regional Cuisine, and Best Outdoor Dining.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This restaurant is getting four stars from me because the Reuben I had there was one of the best I've eaten (the fries were okay). However, I was very disappointed with the service. There were a lot of younger people working there and it didn't seem like there were any older, experienced servers there at the time. I went in to tell the hostess I would be sitting outside, and she brought me menus. I sat there for five minutes and not a single server acknowledged me nor asked me if I would like anything to drink. The person I was waiting for arrived, and we switched tables. I went inside to use the restroom (and ask where our server was), at which point the hostess approached me to say that she had seen we switched tables. Great, I thought, finally we'll get some service...but we waited at least five more minutes before our server finally came. We were his first official table, so I'm willing to forgive any imperfections on his part (he was fine once he actually came to our table), but allowing guests to sit for more than ten minutes without being acknowledged or getting them drinks is unacceptable (even if it were busy, which it wasn't). Like I said, the food was great, but the service was a real downer for me.

• Visited August 2014
Matt B, Owner at Dublin Square Irish Pub & Eatery, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and provide feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your Reuben sandwich. We do hear great reviews on our Reuben. We also do on our service which is why we take bad ones on our service to heart. I will share with our staff. However, I would just like to add that anytime anyone at any restaurant anywhere switches tables, it is going to cause some confusion. Especially when the hostess isn't made aware of beforehand. This could've been the main reason why it took 5-10 minutes for your server to come to your table. Thanks again for the feedback and for the review. Have a great day.

Scottsdale
“Good Food / Bad Service”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

The Shepherd's Pie was among the best I've had. Service was terrible.

As a single traveler, I sat at the bar. Even though I was the only customer at the bar, the several workers behind the bar seemed too busy to pay attention to me. By the time I finally got a beer and my Shepherd's Pie, there were about a dozen customers at the bar. The poor guy sitting next to me was having a hard time just getting a menu. By the time I finished eating he still hadn't been asked for his order.

I know what it's like to work for tips. Apparently these people don't.

• Visited August 2014
Matt B, Owner at Dublin Square Irish Pub & Eatery, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and provide us with feedback on your recent experience at our pub. I am glad to hear that you feel our Shepherd's Pie was amongst the best you've ever had. I am not glad to hear that you feel the service you received was terrible as this is not what we aim to deliver and also not the norm for us. We usually hear great compliments on our service and do regular staff meeting focusing on the importance of great service. I will make our staff aware of your complaint and we will all continue to do our best to please our customers. Thanks again for visiting us and we hope you will stop by again when you are in town again. Have a great day!
Farmington, Minnesota
“Amazing food and fabulous service.”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I had no idea what a walnut burger was until I had the pleasure to devour one at this pub. I have had MANY vegetarian burgers, but this was the tastiest burger I have ever had. Service was excellent. Everyone at our table of 4 had delicious food. Can not wait to go back and have the walnut burger, with Swiss cheese and red onion on a home-made toasted bun!

• Visited August 2014
Thank you Lisa for visiting our pub recently and for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are glad to hear you had a memorable experience. Our Trempealeau Hotel walnut burger is consistently highly talked about with our guests. Glad to hear you thought it was amazing. I will share with our staff your thoughts on their excellent service. Looking forward to your next visit. Have a great day!
Nyssa
“Double Yum!!”
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

We've been in a road trip traveling the US for the last 3 weeks, and this was by far the best Lunch yet!! The Pork Belly Wrap was AMAZING!! Service was great!

Matt B, Owner at Dublin Square Irish Pub & Eatery, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us a review of your recent visit. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience. I will tell our staff that you enjoyed our Teriyaki Pork Belly Wrap and the service you received. Looking forward to your next visit. Have a great day!
“Family Friendly, Adult Pleasing”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Returning home from many days on the road, last night of our vacation. Decided to spend the night in La Crosse. Wanted a good meal that didn't break the bank. Service was cheerful and expedient. Food exceeded our expectations. My husband and I split the Irish trio: corned beef/cabbage, Irish stew, and Shepherds pie. The corned beef was tender with excellent flavor, the horseradish sauce was perfection. Our son had Mac n' Cheese with fries. He didn't have room for dessert. Ellie, our server, answered all our questions and made our visit exceptional. Bill with appetizer, our meals, dessert for my husband and myself, and drinks was extremely reasonable for the quality.

Matt B, Owner at Dublin Square Irish Pub & Eatery, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you very much for the review and feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our pub. We do hear a lot that customers enjoy the tenderness of our corned beef and the Dublin Trio is one of our most ordered dishes. I will be sure to share your review with our staff. Thanks again for the visit and we are looking forward to your return visit next time you are in town. Have a great day!