“Graduation Weekend”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Wisconsin
“Graduation Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

I made this reservation with (ahem!) reservations because it had some pretty dismal reviews on a few of the travel sites. But because La Crosse was booked pretty tightly for the midterm commencement, Holiday Inn was the only place with two rooms for my family.

While the reviews that parts of the hotel are showing its age are somewhat true, our experience was great. The front desk staff was efficient, helpful, and pleasant. Our rooms were spacious and comfortable. The location was spectacular...right across the street from the graduation venue, and within walking distance from lots of fun night spots.

Yes, the carpet is worn in some of the common areas, and there are some water-marked ceiling tiles in the hallway, but seriously nothing to get worked up about. What mattered to me was that our rooms were clean, our beds were comfortable, the AC/heating system worked without being noisy. I can often be quite a hotel snob, and this one was great, even with my sometimes diva sensibilities.

Reserve w/o worry. The location and hotel are great.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cerwinfam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Lacrosse, wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

LaCrosse hotels tend to be more expensive than others where I travel. Cheapest room in downtown that I could find was $130 during the weekend. Chose the Holiday Inn bc it is in the perfect location. Staff was very friendly. The building was in very rough shape. The lobby smelled like someone dropped a bottle of perfume. Walking through the hotel throughout the weekend I noticed they prefer to cover smells with strong air fresheners rather than keep things smelling good through consistent cleaning. We went with a king suite with the "sitting" area separate from the bed. Cost $175 per night. The sitting area had a pull out couch. The blanket for that couch had some sort of spaghetti sauce (I really hope that is what is was) on it -- not a stain, actual crusted on sauce. The room smelled like stale smoke. The bathroom sink was full of cigarettes burns from people who clearly extinguished their smokes by pressing them into the counter and sink. The king bed had 4 little pillows. 2 with a fancy tag that read "firm" and 2 with similar tag that read "soft". They were proud of themselves for offering a selection. The problem was these pillows were approximately have the size of a standard pillow (not king size -- standard) so you needed at least 2 for any comfort. My wife and I could not get used to a firm pillow. Called down to get more soft sent up. While friendly, the staff is easily confused. Took three trips for them to bring up 4 soft pillows (needed some for the pullout too). We then opened the cupboard above the microwave and found two dirty plates. Again, staff took care of that issue with a smile, however, when I book a suite I expect a clean, comfortable room no matter how nice the staff. Definitely Not a stale smoke, dirty blanket and dishes run down room. The adjacent parking ramp is free to the public however, holiday inn owns some spaces in that ramp for which it charges guests $5 each day. I refused to pay and just walked the extra 500 ft from a free spot. The Internet was terrible. None of our devices (three iPads, laptop, 2 smart phones, iPod and ps vital got more than 2 meg service. The devices lost service on a regular basis. I'm fairly tech savvy and with all the different types of devices I know it was their router failing. Lastly a good note, the bar/grill in the hotel was great. Amazing service, good food and the perfect setting for a family with kids to eat and for the adults to grab a drink on their own (bar and main dining area were separated by enough space that the bar could be a real bar and the dining area could remain without the loud and the language often associated with a real bar). It is extremely disappointing that this hotel is not better maintained bc it really is right in the center of downtown within short walking distance of several good restaurants, bars and the lacrosse center for concerts and other events (right across the street). Will not stay there again

Room Tip: If you decide to book this hotel, be sure to get what you need from the hotel staff. They will brin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ktrane
Tim R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Ktrane,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Holiday Inn Downtown, La Crosse. Since you live here it means a lot to us to be chosen for your "staycation"! You mention that La Crosse hotels tend to be more expensive and we know that our popular downtown is one of the reasons. You will always find that the Holiday Inn offers the best rates of the downtown properties and the most friendly staff as you mentioned. Thank you again!

I must correct the parking statement as the Holiday Inn does not own any space in the ramp. We rent the space from the city for our guests to use. Parking in the the ramp is not free as you mentioned to the public. It is timed and you will be ticketed if you over stay your allotment. Also, as you are from La Crosse, you might be aware that the city actually installed ticket machines for parking at the entrance of the ramps and will be charging hourly in the near future. I wanted to clarify the "free" statement as that will mislead the public to believe that they can park in the ramp without a cost. We would to have an innocent person read that statement, only to have a parking ticket on their car when they returned!

We have been proud to be one of the first non-smoking hotels in 2007 and since that time have replaced many of the soft goods, including carpeting, drapes and mattresses. We obviously can't stop people from smoking in a room and it appears that is what you encountered. We wish we would have known to correct the issue for you and assure that our rooms do not typically have that issue.

Again, we apologize for falling short of your expectations and hope that you will give us a chance to accommodate you in the future!

Travelers are raving about these La Crosse hotels

Depere, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel while in town for a conference held at the convention center across the street. The location was perfect. The staff was very accommodating with helping me to get checked in early and to stay parked in their lot later the day I checked out. The room was clean and I love that the holiday inn marks which pillows are soft/firm. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay! We are happy that you love the new pillows and how they are marked. We hope to see you the next time you are in La Crosse!
Billings, MY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Although we booked three rooms several weeks in advance, and requested that we be near each other, we were on three different floors, apparently because these were "handicapped accessible" rooms, but none of us were. It's pricey, and they charge $5 a day to park your car. The location is convenient to restaurants and shopping, and a convention center. The hotel restaurant wasn't up to par -- the staff mixed up the meals and the checks. Food was below average.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Richard W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that you liked our hotel location. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like our hotel fell short of your expectations. It is regrettable that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to room allocation and food quality. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and services we offer to our guests.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lino Lakes, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have stayed at many Holiday Inn chain hotels over the past years, and this is one of the worst. I will admit, most of this negativity is due to the terrible, and I mean terrible, customer service. However the hotel is outdated as well, but in most cases I can overlook that. Poor customer service is something I cannot.

The situation is I went online to the IHG site and changed my reservation from 1 room to 2 rooms. I did this about 5 hrs prior to check in. It showed many room types available, so thought we were fine. However when checking in, was told they only had me for 1 room and are sold out, as is all other hotels in the area. Fortunately, I had booked a king suite so it did have a pull out couch. I am not fond of sleeping in the same bed with co-workers as we were in town on business.

So that in itself is annoying, but the persons response is what really irritated me. She said "It is not our fault, you need to handle this through corporate". Really? Just pass the buck off. I don't care if you are an independent franchise or not, you are HOliday Inn, right? Then she still went on to charge full rate as well as charge the extra $5 for parking. Oh, but we did get 1 extra drink ticket (which we are not using anyway).

I would put her name here, but she was not wearing a name tag. I assume because she is normally a B*%ch and does not want people to know her name.

I do not recommend giving this hotel your business. The Radisson is right across the street, so stay there. It looks nicer anyway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tim R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Joel C,

I regret that you experienced rude service regarding your reservation. I am unaware of the situation but would be happy to investigate it further if you would like to call me directly. If you have the confirmation number of the updated reservation showing the additional room, that would be helpful. Computer errors can happen but we strive to accommodate electronic issues beyond everyone's control if at all possible and again apologize if you were not treated with our greatest asset, Friendly Customer Service.

Please contact me and I will be happy to assist you further!
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our welcome was warm and friendly. The hotel is well located to campus and downtown events. Our room was on the 4th floor in the back of the hotel-and when it was time to go to sleep we found many flood lights shining in our room. When I called the front desk they immediately offered to change rooms, but we were already unpacked and ready for bed. The front desk has probably had that complaint a lot. And the solution is SO SIMPLE! Just put heavier curtains across the window! These were sheer curtains and they really let the light in. Really? You cannot replace these with something that will block out the light? Seems like an easy fix. Staff gets high marks for friendliness, but the housekeeper asked us 2x if we were leaving (though we did not have suitcases in hand). A bit irritating. She could not get us out of there fast enough! In general, I would likely stay elsewhere next time. The hotel could use an upgrade. Rooms feel old and worn.

Room Tip: Stay at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tim R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you Jennifer for your kind words about our staff! We take pride in our service and friendly atmosphere. In regards to the window coverings, there are blackout shades behind the valance and sheer decorative curtain. They are heavy so they will block out any of the city or marquee lighting that you described. I'm sorry that you encountered a problem finding them.

I do hope that our friendly service will help you choose to stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you again!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel was very clean and the staff very helpful.Located in downtown you could leave your car parked and walk to any dining location. The restaurant on the premises Busters had a good breakfast and at a great price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple