“Better than expected”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Had a gift certificate for a 1 night stay and a sightseeing boat tour on the island girl boat. We were able to check in around 3 after the sightseeing boat tour. The hotel seemed very busy w/ wedding parties and other groups but didn't see or hear much of them. The staff was very friendly and helpful w/ dinner suggestions and the like. PArking in the ramp is not the best but when the hotel's lot has about only 16-20 spaces what can you do. Our room was clean, very updated and surprisingly quiet for a second floor room near the alley and street. I love the location and will stay here again

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank deuceDePereWisconsin

Reviewed August 11, 2007

After reading a few reviews about this hotel, I was a little concerned about what to expect as downtown hotels sometimes are not to the highest standards. However, we found the hotel to be fantastic. The location is great, near the river and some very good dining opportunities. The facility was in great condition; the rooms very nice and well furnished. We had dinner in Ebenezer's at the hotel and found that to be very good. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and professional. Yes, we paid $3.00 for parking. Having recently been in Alexandria, VA and paid $16.00 per night to park, I had no problem paying $3.00. This hotel will be my base for future trips to La Crosse.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank MNRoadWarrior
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel twice now and have had no problems. I was nervous reading some of the other reviews but I have had great service from the young (20s) staff. The public areas are showing some wear but the rooms are clean. There is a small pool and whirlpool but no sauna. The bar and restaurant look great! Probably the thing I enjoy the most about this hotel is it's location in historic downtown La Crosse. All around the hotel are renovated buildings with shops,bars, restaurants, coffee shops, ice cream parlors, etc. There is a nice riverside park a few blocks away also. Just a real nice area for strolling day or night! The nearby Radisson looks dated.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank 2,618,010
Reviewed June 13, 2007

The stay at Holiday Inn was nothing spectacular but ok. The rooms were clean and seemed updated. The beds were soft and plenty of pillows. It did look like they needed a fresh coat of paint for the doors and walls in the hallway. The staff was friendly enough and accomodating when we had requests. You'll have to pay $3 for parking in the attached ramp if there is no room in their tiny lot by the entrance. My husband and I shared a room with my brother and his wife. The hotel staff said that they normally only give out 1 parking permit per room, but they so kindly "accommodated" us with another permit (for another $3) so we could park too. How nice of them?!

The location of the hotel was prime for us since we had a wedding to go to on the river and enjoyed the night life downtown afterwards.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Samicogs
Reviewed June 10, 2007

The first time I stayed here, I was generally satisfied as the service was adequate. Nobody went out of their way but the staff was somewhat accommodating. I am staying here right now and it appears they are too busy and full to care. First, I was placed in a smoking room even though I requested a non-smoking room. After choking for a couple of minutes, I requested a non-smoking room and that wish was granted. My new room can barely hold an internet connection unless I stand right next to the entrance door. The lady at the front desk said they were aware that their so-called "free" in-room internet service did not work too well in some of the rooms as the router is too close. Hummm? Anyway, they couldn't really guarantee me a room for my entire stay if I decided to move to another room as they were already overbooked for Thursday (routine to sell more rooms than they have according to the front desk lady.)
It seems that once the allure of good customer service is gone, it is at that point you begin to notice all of the other shortcomings within the hotel - worn out carpeting, wallpaper peeling off the walls, generall disrepair. My advice. You can do much better at the Hampton in Onalaska. It is cheaper, fresher and the staff is much more friendly, courteous and professional. To top it off, their free internet service works and they offer free breakfast. As a frequent business traveler to La Crosse, there are fortunately a lot of good choices. Staying at this Holiday Inn would probably not be a smart decision.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Tbone85
Reviewed May 15, 2007

Great hotel! I'v stayed at the Radisson across the street serveral times and much prefer the Holiday Inn, rates are much better and the staff is friendly, "real" and helpfull. Renovated rooms, Jean at hotel bar is excellent. Hotel food / service is really good for a hotel restaurant. Easy and safe walk to area nightlife.

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed October 26, 2006

We stayed here this summer. The room was actually wet. There was so much dampness that I relished being able to leave so that I could feel dry again. There needs to be updates made to this hotel. The service was fine, but the entire hotel was smokey and damp.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family