“Best way to spend a summer evening.”
Review of Mississippi Explorer Cruises - CLOSED

Mississippi Explorer Cruises
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer unique sightseeing cruises which explore the scenic and wild backwaters and side-channels of the Mississippi River. The cruises are interactive, fully-guided (by onboard wildlife naturalists), and vastly more scenic than other riverboat cruises. With us, you'll learn interesting aspects and stories of the Mississippi and its scenic Upper Miss Wildlife Refuge while comfortably aboard a safe, U.S. Coast Guard inspected vessel, complete with a licensed Captain and crew. Plan to get within feet of beautiful backwater riverbanks, bald eagles, bald eagle nests, turtle-filled logs, great blue herons, beaver lodges, blooming American lotus & water lilies, and more! Check us out - you won't be disappointed!
Reviewed September 10, 2013

As a transplanted New Englander, I am painfully missing the ocean. So on a hot summer night just a week ago, I decided to play tourist in my own town, and get myself out onto the water.

The Mississippi Explorer is both a family-friendly and couples-friendly activity. The onboard biologist, who skillfully narrates for the first hour of the two-hour cruise, seamlessly integrates children aboard the boat into his "crew,' naming them as junior biologists and assigning them to play "show and tell" with the guests. But don't let that description deter you from considering this as proper date-night recreation. For the adult crowd, the cruise is a serene escape from weekday busy-ness, made even better by gorgeous sunsets, frequent eagle sightings and intelligent narration. To top it off: the captain permits guests to bring their own drinks and snacks. We came equipped with a softside cooler full of craft beer, cheese and crackers, and fresh fruit.

A few things you might be wondering:
- You can reserve your tickets online; print a copy of your confirmation to give to the ticket-taker at the dock.
- Arrive well in advance to find good parking (around Riverside Park can be tricky -- there are some public ramps a block or so away). The crowd will be competing for the limited bench seats on the bow (uncovered); these have the best view, but are exposed, so bring sunscreen or a rain jacket as appropriate. Indoor seating is plentiful and comfortable with upholstered seats around the perimeter of the cabin ... but these afford limited views.
- There is a head at the stern. I recommend your bring hand sanitizer.

5  Thank KateMcNeill

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went on line to find a few things to do when we came to LaCrosse. Finding this 2 hour eco tour was like finding a gem. We made reservations in advance though by going after Labor Day weekend, 1030 AM tour, they really weren't needed. We did what a couple previous reviewers suggested and got in line early so we could get the seats at the front of the boat. They are metal bench seats and they are not covered..so you got the sun and a good view. The seats located in the inner part of the boat were situated so you could see very well. Our naturalist was excellent and gave us great information on the river itself, the species of nature that call it home, including some human kind too. Plenty of information is provided and then there is time to simply enjoy the ride and surrounding scenery. It is a good tour for children as the naturalist gears part of the trip for them. There is a restroom on board. Yes, we did see eagles which is always an awesome sight in my view. Plenty of street parking and if there on the weekend, the time limit is not in effect.

6  Thank rvtraveller_10
Reviewed August 4, 2013

this boat gets way closer to the nature part of river life. small groups means you can ask questions and get great pictures. this is great trip for kids. you can bring picnic and beverages. if you are looking for something fancier, go down the dock to the other river tour, which is nice also, but if you are looking for something smaller and able to get closer to the wildlife, go with mississippi explorer day cruise

5  Thank wren32
Reviewed July 29, 2013

As a local, I've been in the backwaters of the Mississippi many times. I thought the crew did a great job and I very much enjoyed seeing things again.

I believe the out-of-towners also enjoyed the tour and appreciated the opportunity for a relaxed fun outing.

1  Thank DianeinRiverCity
Reviewed July 15, 2013

It seems like every day is a great day to take a cruise on the Mississippi. We took the morning tour, starting out at 10:30 for two hours. The pilot and tour guide were friendly and informative, and eager to answer all our questions. The tour took is outside the banks of the river, into some of the back waters where we were able to spot all sorts of wildlife. My wife and son had both seen Eagles before, both on trips, and near our home, but I'd never seen one. Well, that was cured with this excursion. We saw 3 pairs of eagles. Also along the way were turtles and heron and other shore birds. It rained for a period during our trip, but with the enclosed cabin, no one got wet. It was a very comfortable, smooth ride and our hosts made us feel right at home, from dockside check-in, to disembarking back at the dock.
I’d sail with them again any time.

5  Thank 50StatesOrDieTrying