“Meh...”

Candlewood Suites La Crosse
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The room was very clean to begin with but after a week of staying there I could have used a quick clean sweep by housekeeping. Maybe leave more than one pack of regular coffee. I had to go down every morning and get more from the front desk. The towel thing, walking around with your dirty towels just to get new ones. I get the concept of suites but after a 13hr day of work don't feel like taking the garbage down the hallway. Place the lock bar over the door, had housekeeping just barge into my room randomly. Would I stay there again? Yes. Now that I know how it all works, as a new guest to the hotel its a little frustrating.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry that we did not do a great job explaining our once a week housekeeping model to you. We do try to accommodate all your needs in between those housekeeping visits, so next time you stay with us (and thank you for giving us another try), just call the front desk with whatever you need. We will be happy to send housekeeping up to do some touch ups, bring you fresh towels, and load you up with coffee. I am also sorry our housekeeping staff did accidently come to your room. We will work better with our communication to prevent that in the future.

Thanks for staying with us. We look forward to having you back and having the chance to wowing you with our service!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Spent 7 days here on a business trip last month.

The employees were extraordinarily friendly and very accomodating with minor requests and offering general assistance. My room was very well aid out and spacious. The hotel offered the amenities I expected as a business traveller, and I found the free laundry and the availability of an in house convenience store to be an excellent benefit. The location is very good because in the same parking lot is a large grocery store, liqour store, numerous restaurants, etc. Overall I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back, for a quieter nights sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank KeithandAdriana
mrkhughes, General Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff, amenties, and location at Candlewood Suites La Crosse. We appreciate you taking the time to let us and other travelers know what you thought, and we hope you do get the chance to come back and stay with us again.

Thank you!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone who visits the area and wants a nice, clean place to relax after a day of exploring.

Compliments: 1. Room: exceptionally clean and the full kitchen (complete with dishware, dishwasher, stove, coffee pot, and ice maker) added a level of comfort and personality to the room; bathroom was CLEAN and spacious; window opened nicely; comfortable bed; 2. Staff: helpful and very friendly; our request to check out late was accommodated. 3. 24/7 Food Cupboard: unique food items to hotels (ice cream, Lean Cuisines); breakfast foods included as there is no continental breakfast.

Complaints: 1. Difficulty maneuvering my luggage into the hotel and into the room due to the room's heavy door. 2. Hallway smell: not bad, not good, but present and obvious. It was not, however, presnt in the room and if it was, it was unnoticeable after a few minutes. 3. Not the most comfortable pillows.

Bottom line: The complaints were minimal and the compliments far exceeded any annoyance we may have had. I feel confident that had we asked, the hotel staff would have accommodated whatever they could have for us. We will definitely stay here again and I would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Our room faced the main street (Copeland Ave) and was noisy. The ambulance went by at least 3 or 4 t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
mrkhughes, General Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful compliments and your feedback for Candlewood Suites La Crosse. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Your comment on the cleanliness of the room and on the helpfulness of the staff are top priorities for us and I will be passing the pat on the back to our staff as reward for their hard work and genuine caring.

I am sorry the doors were a bit heavy. I would agree this can make it difficult to get in the room. On your next stay we would be more than happy to give you a hand with your luggage. In regards to the air freshener used in our hallways, I am sorry you didn't prefer the scent. We will look at new scents and decreasing the use of the air freshener overall to make it less noticeable.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and the room/lobby extremely clean. The location was great - we walked to the Oktoberfest grounds via a trail that also passed by a beautiful garden and led to the river area. Wished we would've taken a River Cruise, also! I highly recommend this hotel and will not hesitate to revisit. The one thing I would recommend to the hotel would be to add a breakfast option.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lynmof
mrkhughes, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed your stay. We are glad you were able to enjoy the short path that led the Oktoberfest Grounds, the Friendship Gardens, and Riverside Park. The river and its beauty surely are some of the best sights in La Crosse.

We hope you do get a chance to come back and stay with us again with time to enjoy a river cruise. Because we are an extended stay and offer some different amenities to our guests other than breakfast, I can't say that we will be able to remedy that one need for you, but the good news is there is a Great Harvest Bread Company opening up this winter next door which will offer coffee, breads, and pastries for a quick breakfast option.

Thanks again for the review and happy, safe travels!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is very nice and clean. The only thing it was missing was breakfast. The front desk clerk did reccomend a nice eatery. The room was spacious and included a fully stocked kitchen. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill D

Thank you, Bill D, for your kind review. We are proud of our work and love to hear that you were pleased with our hotel and cleanliness. I am sorry that we were not able to provide a full breakfast for you. I understand that the convenience items in our Candlewood Cupboard may not always suit everyone's breakfast needs, but I am happy we were able to recommend a nice breakfast spot for you. We do try to keep menus and maps nearby for just that occasion and will continue to do our best to accommodate everyone's morning hunger.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed here with two young boys during a recent visit for a wedding. The accommodations, service, and value were outstanding. The rooms were clean, very nice sized with decent kitchen accommodations. We would stay here again when in the area next time. Location was easy to get to downtown places.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be pretty equal based on other rooms our guests had.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DMGWisconsin
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Space: Excellent amount of space per room.
Cupboard items: Excellent choice of food, snacks, toiletries, etc.
Staff Mannerism: Very polite and well trained.
Parking: Plentiful and always space available/well-lit.
Windows: Fresh air is a must. Re-breathing old, stale air from months of previous guests prevents a good nights rest. Not being able to open windows is a bit annoying.
HDTV: Excellent service provider (Charter) and a digital HDTV box in every room.
Internet access: The best I could get was about 1.76Mb/s. I believe the hotel uses CenturyLink DSL as their ISP. Nothing against CenturyLink, but the performance of DSL is quite laggy, slow and not decent enough to Video Teleconference with other business colleagues. I would highly recommend management switch to Charter for their internet service. They already use them for TV services, so the transition would be as simple as installing a cable modem in the communications closet to replace the dsl modem. I once did this for a living, so I know. Speeds would exceed 50Mb/s versus their slow DSL connection shared between numerous guests. Management: Don't try to defend your slow internet by saying it was caused by an outage, weather, etc. like other hotels have done in response to my past reviews. I have stayed here twice and both times have rendered the same speed results.
Peacefulness: Even having a room in the front of the hotel is peaceful, except for the selfish annoying motorcycle riders whom pass by every now and then. The hotel is far enough away from all the rowdy bars to have near perfect silence most of the time.
Gym: The fitness center is very spacious. One could do crossfit, aerobics, P90X, insanity, whatever. The equipment is also plentiful. Water is unlimited, and towels provided.
Laundry: The hotel has several laundry machines. One of them is a super duty machine for large blankets, jackets, etc. All free of charge. I have noticed other hotels that limit their dryer cycles so they end up charging guests twice to dry a single load. Not the Candlewood. Never. They seem to understand that people simply don't have time to go looking for quarters to do something so necessary as keeping clothing clean on busy trips. No one wants to even think about going through the trouble of doing that on a trip. Candlewood understands this perfectly.
Kitchenette: In every room there is a full kitchen. No problems with any of the appliances or utensils. Excellent!
Beds: Very comfortable.
Hotel Construction: As usual with the Candlewood brand, the floors are made of plywood, not concrete. I am a light sleeper, so having an overweight and clumsy person staying above me (or a woman with high heels) is quite annoying. I had to move from the 3rd to the 4th floor.
Modern: The hotel is very modern and the owners seems to take very good care of it.
Overall: I'd say this is one of the best hotels in the Lacrosse area that you could stay in. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Total silence is in the rear of the hotel on the top floor, obviously. You will also get better cell...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bradleybaldwin1
mrkhughes, General Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I really can't thank you enough for your kind words about our property. I agree that our floors will not block out all noise that may affect other guests and we will politely make the guests aware of another guests concerns. We're all very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us while you were in La Crosse. We hope to see you again in the future when you may be traveling to the area.

Thank You again!