“Wow...yuk!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in La Crosse
Washburn, Wisconsin
“Wow...yuk!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I ended up at the Affordable Inn after a very long day of driving and due to poor planning on my part. Affordable, yes. It cost me about $60. I am also not frightened away by people living at a motel. However, I think I should've been this time.

My room was in the back of the motel and at least I was able to park my car where I could see it from the room. The room itself was shabby; dirty, ripped & burned rug (in a nonsmoking room), the door only had a turn lock on the knob (no chain lock or bolt), and the window was wide open with only a screen to keep others out (good thing I noticed it before leaving the room for dinner). The bathroom was fine & looked relatively newly remodeled, except for the shower. I had great difficulty trying to turn the shower on and apparently other had also because the knob was broken obviously by someone pulling it the wrong way. I ended up having to call the front desk and have them literally yank the knob to get the water running. After getting into the tub, it creeked & groaned as I stood in it. Looking down as the water ran not only I could see the supports being pushed up through the bottom of the tub as the unsupported parts were sinking down, but I also saw the amount of black coming off the bottom of my feet from the rug I walked on (I had showered earlier in the day & had put on clean socks). I spent my shower straddled on the supports.

After dozing off at about 12:30 a.m. I was awoken by the people upstairs having very loud sex. Not only did I hear them, but the bed they were on was extremely loud. Now, people in motels having sex is not unheard of or even surprising. So, I turned on the TV, turned up the volume and attempted to return to sleep. After more than an hour of consistent noise, I was now not only tired & angry, but I was jealous! I called the front desk, complained, waited another 30 minutes and never heard anyone approach them nor did I hear the phone ring in the room. I was finally able to sleep after about 2:15 a.m.

The positives about the room: cheap, microwave, refrigerator, and air conditioner.

Otherwise, pay the extra money and find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Cheryl H

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Room was freshly painted. Air conditioner worked well. Staff was friendly enough. Overall, not bad for $68 on a Friday night. Yes, people live here but people live in houses too and that doesn't scare us away from them, does it?

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Thespoonerfam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Wasn't a bad place to stay. Room was fine. Comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Room key was literally a key on a chain, people LIVE there, no maid service whatsoever. Filthy room, stained linens, ripped sheet covering box spring. Never again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsLeonhard

Travelers are raving about these La Crosse hotels

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The room keys are literally keys. They have people living there. Maid service was a no go, we never got our garbage emptied or toilet paper replaced. Floors were dirty, hair was stuck to the back of the bathroom door. Linens on bed were stained and ripped. Never again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple