“Doesn't Live Up to the Reputation”

Radisson Hotel La Crosse
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Wisconsin
“Doesn't Live Up to the Reputation”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We decided to stay at this hotel at the last minute. As Gold Points Plus members, we had a earned a free night that we decided to use to treat ourselves. The Radisson has a reputation for being one of the top hotels in the area. How it earned that reputation, I do not know! The room was clean, but the glassware provided was spotted and did not appear clean. The furniture is old and looking quite beaten up. The door looked like someone had tried to break in.The rooms are quite small and the selection of channels to watch is the absolute most basic cable possible, with several not coming in clearly. The beds in our room were Sleep Number beds that unfortunately did not work. One of the beds wouldn't adjust at all so I slept with a hard lump in the middle of my back all night. The other bed would only adjust a little bit, so my son woke up with a sore back and hips from the deep depression in the bed. The heat in the room would not adjust below 72 degrees. We called down to the front desk and we're told we should turn it off, the turn it back on. We tried that, waited a bit, but no difference. We checked the vent and you could see the filter or vent was full of dust. We again called downstairs and were told what she meant was to turn it off and leave it off. When I asked about having air flow in the room, we were offered a fan. About 20 minutes later, the fan arrived. Since it was the end of February and about 2 degrees outside, I really didn't want to open a window but we had to. Even then, with the window open and the fan blowing, the room remained too warm to sleep well. I can honestly say after staying at hotels all over the country, it was one of the worst night's sleeps we have ever had. Other downsides were the people next door talking loudly at 6 a.m. and not stopping until we checked out at 10:00. Upon checkout, we were greeted by "Checking out?", "Oh, you stayed free?" (in disgust), "Here's your parking token." No pleasant greeting, questions about our stay, thank you, come again, anything! What a waste of an evening!!!!! This was no treat! I would have rather stayed home and watched reruns!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank RoadTrip4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
SE, WI
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The hotel was very nice and kept up well. I caught some noisy kids (hockey team) running in the halls and stairs. Troy took care of the situation and did apologize for the disturbance. Had a chance to eat breakfast in the restaurant and the food was very good. When we checked in the front desk did comply with our bed request.

• Stayed February 2011
Georgetown, Maryland
Reviewed January 26, 2011

THEY SUCK. The housekeeping manager, a "Mr. Smith," is the most rude, obnoxious, cop-wannabe that I've ever met at any hotel. He even told me not to talk to his housekeeping staff as he walked by! This person is the largest single reason I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I came to the event with as much as allowed by the airlines without purchasing more baggage allowance. I was staying there while performing in a national music performance. When leaving the hotel, as I was packing my bags outside of my room down on the elevator foyer on the second floor, a woman guest came to where I was packing and would not leave, talking very loudly on her cellphone. To pack in quiet, I went to the pool area, and the hotel managers and several employees came in to see if I was stealing anything, the last guy making it clear that is why he was in there. Since we were given very much in the line of gifts and novelty items pertaining to the event, and there was no place to put these things, I packed three bags that the event staff were going to send to me via "Veteran's Administration post-to-post mail..." and after I left the bags with event staff in a room of the hotel, supposedly secure, all of the bags but one disappeared. When the mail arrived in my hometown VA, only one bag showed up. None of my personal belongings were in it, only a few items that I had packed. I suspect that "Mr. Smith" was to blame for the suspicious way I was eyed by the manager and the staff, and I seriously DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE STAY AT THIS HOTEL BECAUSE OF THE STAFF AND MANAGEMENT PROBLEMS.

Find a Days Inn, which is one of my favorites, which would be about the same quality with better staffing for 1/3rd the cost.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank PhantasticPhotog
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Really liked it. It was within short walking distance to a lot of downtown hotspots as well as the La Crosse Center. They have a VIP floor, nice large pool, and it is well kept and clean.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Salem, Virginia
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Beautiful view if riverside room. Rooms small. Service excellent. Pool body temp, spa nice. Not a comfortable chair in entire hotel, rooms or lobbies. Food for conference was excellent and plentiful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed September 8, 2010

This hotel is along the river front. It has a very nice park between it and the river. It is in a nice downtown location. It has free parking.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 10, 2010

One night stay, I guess you have to experience bad to appreciate how nice it is when everything goes well.....

The room was clean, check in, no problems. It had a sleep number bed, which thankfully now I know I will never buy one...slept fine, but would have prefered pillow top...down pillows, granite counter tops, great bathroom, nice toiletries. On the Mississippi, beautiful park out the back door......easy walk to restaurants and downtown....big flat screen TV. Awesome eggs benedict in the hotel restaurant...only real complaint...the coffee was watery...we ordered espresso to add to our cup.

We were on a motorcycle, and they provided towels, kickstand blocks, and local scenic ride maps...nice touch.....since we had no concrete plans the dual computers/internet in the lobby/business center was a great help in planning the next step of our adventure....

In a perfect world, it would have been a little cheaper ($149+ about $20 in local hotel taxes), but the world isn't perfect is it?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple