“Used to be a great place”

Radisson Hotel La Crosse
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Radisson Lacrosse has a wonderful location, right on the Mississippi River. It's an old hotel and it needs a lot of updating. Also, some of their staff needs lessons in customer service/hospitality. Front desk and maintenance staff were great. Restaurant in the hotel is still good.

Room Tip: Always ask for a river-view room but don't pay the extra for the 7th floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SL262
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear SandyML262,

Good morning and thank you for your review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel. It was a pleasure to meet you and your husband last week when we chatted about your stay in La Crosse. I had the opportunity to share your concerns with some of our staff members as we look for ways to improve our operation and keep this hotel as one the best in La Crosse. I am sorry that we were not able to meet all of your expectations, it is embarrassing and humbling when we fall short of our service goals. It was nice to see that both the front desk and engineering staff were recognized for their solid performance, I have shared those comments as well.

I hope your granddaughter's final softball game was successful for her and that your trip back to Waukesha was uneventful. I will look forward to being of service to you for future visits.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Don't let the exterior of this hotel fool you, it's quite nice inside. The staff is friendly and the prices were fair. The location is great. Riverside gives a view of the river, the other side gives a view of the parking lot. The restaurant prices were fair but there were too few staff for how many people were in the bar area. A/c was very quiet.

Room Tip: If you don't like bright morning sun make sure you get on the west-facing riverview.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear TravellingPriest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. I couldn't agree more with you on the great location, the scenery outside the hotel is quite spectacular! I am quite fortunate to work with such a talented group of individuals and they all work hard at providing the best customer service they can, thank you for recognizing their efforts. It is disappointing to see that we were not better prepared in our lounge area and that you were negatively affected by that, please accept my apologies.

If I can ever be of service, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Safe travels and best wishes.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is probably the best and easily one of the best Raddisons in the country which are often tired properties, poorly managed, ill-maintained and way overrated (the one on the west side of Madison is pure ugh!).

This is a renovated property which, unlike a great number of renovated hotels, does not really look like it. They did a very nice job of working with what they had. Not to say that everything is perfect but those things aren't enough to warrant a negative review.

First, although my room was small, it was well-furnished with adequate lighting and a refrigerator that actually worked. (No microwave, however.) Bed was comfortable and although there were a few dings in the furniture I won't ding the hotel this time because they worked hard to make sure everything else is in good order. Towels were good. The shower was way too funky to operate but fine once you got the hang of it. Adequate pressure but nothing great. Internet worked well. Flat panel TV. Nice closet. The proximity reader keys are a great concept but one key had to be remade three times to work. The fan/HVAC is a bit noisy is that stuff bothers you but more like a rumble than the annoying buzz-saw in many places. Wall thermostat controlled. Housekeeping gets an early start here so if you plan on sleeping after 7:45 a.m. you need to have the door hanger out and call the front desk after you get up. All in all this hotel passes my "clean and everything works as it should" test which despite its basic premise is a challenge for most hotels to meet. Although it passed the test that doesn't mean it gets an A+.

There is only one power outlet on the desk. None at the nightstands. In our meeting rooms there were narrow tables and decent chairs but NO power outlets for laptops. This is 2013. We use laptops, iPads, smartphones, etc. This is the one critical omission from the renovation. If you stay here, I recommend bringing an extension cord (or two or three) and/or a power strip. IF YOU ARE USING A MAC AT LEAST ONE EXTENSION CORD MAY BE REQUIRED BECAUSE OF THE CLEARANCE OF THE ONLY DESK LEVEL POWER OUTLET.

There are minor cleanup, paintup, fixup type things. I mentioned the room furniture nicks and dings and there are some on doorways, hallways, etc. Not enough to cause any worry or complaint but these are things that become larger issues if left unattended.

Overall, the property is very clean and well-maintained. The food was good. Our meeting catering was good. The property is attractive with a clean view of the Mississippi River if you are facing the right direction.

Now for the really good part: the staff. This is the hospitality industry but rarely do the people who run it "get it." Hospitality means more than routine politeness or fake or real ostentatiousness. Do you make someone feel welcome and glad they came here? The staff here does and does it without being one bit uppity or detached. They actually do seem genuinely friendly and eager to help. Easily among the best in the country. The folks at most other Carlson chain properties across the country should be sent here to see how it's done. This is a very welcoming place and it's done without faux décor, behavior or dress.

On a personal note, I became acutely ill shortly after checking in and didn't have time to wait for an ambulance. The desk clerk (Dick?) wrote out directions to Gundersen Lutheran Hospital ER. Very nice of him and much appreciated. (Note to management: This is something that you probably should have prepared in advance with copies available at the desk. I can't believe I'm the only guest who ever needed emergency or urgent medical attention.)

No, this is not a perfect place but it's pretty damn good, one of the best in the country and I would not hesitate staying here again or recommending it to others.

Room Tip: A view of the river is nice. I'd bring an extension cord or two or three or a power strip. You...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear 6530bx4,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel, I am very pleased to see that we were able to make a positive impact on your trip. All of your comments are well received and I see that we still have work to do to be even better, it is the little things that matter to a seasoned traveler such as you. We are currently looking at options for more outlets and will continue to work on keeping our rooms fresh and in good repair.

I am proud to work with such a talented group of individuals at this hotel, we take pride in our service levels and it appreciated when those efforts are recognized. I see that you are a frequent contributor to TripAdvisor, thank you for your kind assessment of our hotel. Until we are of service to you again, safe travels!

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 25, 2013

After being on the road for over a week (through Canada), this hotel was a refreshing stay.

Pros:

- The front desk staff was amazing. We checked in very late (10pm) and very tired but Daisy made out night with her kindness. After an encounter near the elevators with a rude customer, Daisy personally called my room 5 minutes later and apologized for the incident. She was very kind and deserves recognition for her professionalism as well. Great face for the company.

- The room we stayed had had a great access to the pool as well as stairs to take our dogs down and outside to the park.

-The park right out side was a bonus for us since we have dogs. I know the signs say "no dogs", but Im sorry - parks are meant for dogs. (Just clean up after your pet and no issues).

-Ample parking space. VERY accommodating for anyone pulling a U-Haul trailer or any larger trucks.

-Great pet policy and acceptance.

Cons:

- The bartender and the restaurant was very rude when I had an issue .We checked in late and after our check-in we ordered food. The waitress said she would call my room when its ready. She didn't and the food we ordered sat on the bar getting cold for 45 minutes until I went down myself to figure out the issue. After standing at the bar watching the bartender stay engaged in small talk with a couple across the opposite end of the bar, she finally asked me what I wanted in a very rude tone. Another waitress had to come over and handle it.

- Needs a continental breakfast.

The overall experience was very good and if Im in the area again, I will certainly stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park/water. Waking up to the view of the Mississippi was very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Michael L,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel. I am thrilled to see that overall you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and would consider us for a follow up visit, that is the best compliment a hotel can receive. It was nice to see that our front desk staff made a positive impact on your stay.

I would like to apologize for the lack of service you received in our restaurant. I have reviewed your comments with the management and the staff in the Three Trees Restaurant, obviously we need to make sure we are following through with guest requests in a timely and effecient manner. Thank you for taking the time to assist us in gauging how we are performing.

I look forward to being of service to you for future visits.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This recent weekend my friends and I had planned to stay here for my Bachelorette Party. Upon check in we had found you that someone had gotten sick in our room the day before and they were at a full house. The manager (not sure of her name) didn't feel comfortable renting that room to us because if the damages from the previous guest. A little disappointing because we had chose this hotel because it is so close to down town and we didn't want to worry about driving because we had planned to be drinking.

But they made up for it in a HUGE way. They had to walk us to another hotel (Courtyard Marriott that was 2 blocks away) and they paid for the WHOLE stay! We had also planned to eat at the restaurant inside of the Radisson and again did not want to drive at all! The Manager picked us up at the Courtyard and shuttled us to back to the Radisson for dinner and we were so greateful for that alone. We had sat down for dinner and the server came up to us and said the manager wanted to buy us two free appetizers! We were not expecting this at all! This is amazing service and they really care about their guests.

When finishing dinner they took us back to the Courtyard to finish getting ready for our night. They had even offered to shuttle us downtown from the Courtyard and also pick us up at bar close at 2:30 in the morning! We did not take them up on this because we felt that they had already done so much for us!

I have worked in hotels for 7 years I KNOW that great help is hard to find! They have AMAZING managers on staff! Keep up the WONDERFUL customer service! Needless to say even though the rooms are pricey the staff really makes it worth it!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Colleen D,

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel. I would like to begin by apologizing for the fact that we were unable to provide you with the room you had reserved for our hotel. The summer weekends are in extremely high demand and we do our best to make sure there are rooms for all reserved guests. I am very grateful for the fact that you understood the issue and were able to still make the most out of your special weekend.

I am so pleased to see that our staff was able to still provide you with outstanding service and to turn a difficult and frustrating situation into a positive experience. It is nice to see that the efforts of the front desk were noticed, I will share your comments with them. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and I am hopeful that we can be of service to you for future visits.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is the second time this month that I've stayed at a well run Hotel. It's rare to walk into a hotel with a staff that cares and the Radisson is one that comes complete with clean, spacious rooms, one of the most comfortable beds, good internet connection and the one thing missing in the green world... WATER PRESSURE!

Not only did the staff accommodate our storage needs for two nights but they also kept the kitchen open at closing time (upon our arrival) because the only thing available in town was pizza and street meat.

I use the Radisson chain in many places because this is more the norm than the exception. The staff is to be commended and I hope that this chain continues down the path of awesomeness.

The hotel is located next to the big river and just a short block walk to restaurants and bars along with some unique shopping. Pizza runs late (Polito's has a HUGE late night selection) and there is plenty of parking.

Room Tip: Get one facing the river!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Ron K,

Thank you so much for your review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel. We were thrilled to see that you were back for another visit and that our hotel and company have been able to meet, and many times, exceed your expectations. All hotels are the same in one way or another in a physical way, it is the service that makes the difference and I am happy to see we have made a favorable impact on you.

If I can ever be of personal service, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Until the next time we see you, best regards and safe travels.

Best,

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

A reasonable hotel room with amenities expected from a Radisson. The best part about this hotel is its location between the river and neat little shops on 2nd Street. If you're staying and parking a boat, make sure to let the hotel know - and remind them - this was a wrinkle during our stay over the 4th of July. The front desk clerk could only recommend that we try to find street parking, after she chastised us for not letting them know about the boat...although they'd been told the previous evening. Fortunately, we were able to make our own parking spot in the lot (by taking 4.5 spots!) before all of the non-guests parked in the lot for the fireworks. The sign in front of the lot stated no non-guest parking, but there is no room key required to enter the lot - that might be a nice addition, Radisson. A room key slider and an intercom for people checking in to get clearance from the front desk.

• Stayed: July 2013
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Cyclonegal,

Thank you for your review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel, we appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent visit. I am pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay wtih us and that the location suited your needs. I am disappointed to see that our front desk staff did not handle themselves in a more favorable manner regarding your boat parking. The parking was definitely at a premium during the Riverfest celebration and we did our best to monitor the lot, and make sure our guest's needs were fulfilled. Thank you for your suggestion regarding the intercom and key system.

If I can ever be of personal service, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. I hope the rest of your travels were enjoyable!

Kind regards,