“Decent motel for the money”

Motel 6 La Crosse WI
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed here with my two teenage daughters for a weekend leisure trip. I was pleasantly surprised by the amenities provided by this budget motel. Nice soaps/shampoo, coffee in the room, and the TP and tissues were good quality. This place wasn't sparkling clean or updated, but it's comfortable and surprisingly quiet. In fact, quieter than many mid-level hotels we've stayed. The front desk staff was very polite, and offered that if we found that we'd forgotten to bring any toiletries, we should call them, as they have replacements available. USA Today available in the lobby. We didn't sit down to eat breakfast in the morning, but were able to grab a wrapped muffin in the lobby at check out. More than enough!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank dannolisa
H0J0GM, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

We are glad that you and your lovely family enjoyed your stay here in La Crosse and we are honored that you chose to stay with us. Do come again and if you ever need an activity to do in while in La Crosse, one of our friendly concierge desk staff would be more than happy to set you up. Thanks!

Dennis Campos

There are newer reviews for Motel 6 La Crosse WI

Reviewed August 6, 2011

My husand and I stayed here after a concert. It was a Priceline bid so I guess we got what we paid for this time. Very small and basic room, had one double sized bed, I would at least expect a queen! The room was OK, definately could see the age in some of the furniture, flooring, A/C unit etc. The plus, the room did have a microwave and fridge. Otherwise nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mbberven
H0J0GM, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

"Thank you so much for staying with us at Howard Johnson, La Crosse!
Priceline is a great website to find lodging and other accommodations. I highly recommend verifying your reservation with the property after booking online, in case room upgrades are desired - our staff loves to please the guests! As I write this, measurements are being taken to resolve the carpeting issue that guests have commented about. Its voices like yours that help us get things done, and I cannot thank everyone enough for the candid blogs."

Adrian O'Dell

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Found this hotel to be clean and the front desk service to be excellent.

You have to get down to breakfast early as showing up near 9am there wasn't much left both days we were there.

Overall, no complaints. This is a budget hotel and the rooms were in good shape, air conditioning was solid, and rooms were updated. Hotel provides free Wi-fi and there is a Pizza Hut next door for late night dinner.

Would stay here again.

3  Thank gophertravel
H0J0GM, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our property. I apologize that there was little food left toward the end of breakfast. Being I’ve seen this same comment in the past regarding 9AM I will extend our breakfast hours to 10AM. We have been coaching the staff to try and keep the food waste to a minimum. I will be addressing the food levels during breakfast with my morning staff, to ensure a sufficient quantity of food is available throughout the breakfast period. I'm always pleased to hear compliments regarding service received by our guest from our front desk. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate all reviews negative or positive. However it’s always enjoyable to go over positive reviews with the staff, and discuss ways to further enhance our guest experience.

Greg Westland

Reviewed July 30, 2011

We enjoyed our 2 night stay at Howard Johnsons. We had the king suite and it was very clean and comfortable. The staff were nice and they had a very good breakfast.

3  Thank Norene S
H0J0GM, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for taking time to send us your feedback about your stay. We are very pleased to hear that it was an enjoyable experience for you and hope you were able to see everything LaCrosse has to offer. Howard Johnson is grateful for replies like yours, it helps us become more innovative and by that, we become more successful thanks to customers like you.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and if you travel through in the future, feel free to ask our Front Desk staff about the attractions and proactive events in this area. We hope to see you soon!

Emily Mollet

Reviewed July 25, 2011

I was there last week for a business trip. We bought the room off priceline..only $34 bucks so I can't complain about that. I will start with the good. All the staff I encountered were very friendly. (That's about all I can come up with..)

This is hardly a 2 star hotel. I have stayed in many nicer super 8's. The rooms smelled musty, carpets were stained, and walls very thin. I ended up calling the front desk regarding the guests next to me being so loud and knocking on the wall. Good thing the air conditioner was so loud, it eventually drowned out their noise. The door knob was hanging off the entry to get to the staircase (no elevator..). Breakfast was nothing to get excited over..a few soggy bagels, one day there were donuts, as well as biscuits and gravy. The cereal was never stocked. The dining area was pretty messy also. Employees smoked right outside the front entry way..even though it clearly stated not to. Lots of trash litters the side of the motel. All and all it was OK if you have to stay just for a nice and needed a place cheap. I would never recommend to a family or couple for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TriciaKerth
H0J0GM, General Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for recognizing my staff! I agree that they are friendly, fun and informative. They are a true pleasure for me to work with. I’m sorry to hear about the guests in the room next to you. If my staff did not take care of the situation in a timely manner – please call me so we can work out a refund. The door knob was actually the keycard reader that a guest accidently broke off and it took a few days to get the parts shipped in for repair. I struggle anytime I hear a complaint regarding our breakfasts as so many guests love our breakfast and most recognize that we serve far more than our Brand standard requires. Most limited service motels at such a fair rate would not be serving biscuits and gravy. But this was not the first bolg mentioning dissatisfaction with the breakfast so I met with staff to innovate ways to meet this challenge. One step we are taking is to extend breakfast to 10 AM. They feel 9AM is too early to close breakfast as many guests that wake later do get the slim pickings prior to closing the breakfast room.

Thank you for taking the time to share with me.

Rodney A. Piotraschke

Reviewed July 21, 2011

Staff is great, rooms are very clean, and the try to make you happy. Bob

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank la-tick
H0J0GM, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

Dear Bob,

The staff of Howard Johnson of La Crosse truly appreciates your kind words in regard to our services and amenities! We look forward to seeing you around here again and we are proud to have lived up to your expectations!

Jason J. Robertson
Guest Services

Reviewed July 21, 2011

We spent a long weekend here to be with our son who will soon be shipping out to Kuwait. Sadly, the hotel didn't live up to any expectations we had. We awoke each morning to dogs barking IN the hotel. I understand people traveling with their pets, however, I do not understand paying for a hotel room and waking up to someone else's pet noises. We also had bugs in our room...a centipede on our bed and spiders in the tub. The free continental breakfast provided was barely adequate with very weak coffee, watered down juice, and not so fresh bagels. Because this was our last chance to spend with our son for a year, we sucked it up and stayed but I won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
H0J0GM, General Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

First, I would like to thank your son for his service to our nation. I am sorry to hear of the dog barking and if you call the motel and ask for me I will refund you. My staff is supposed to do hall checks every few hours to find possible noise complaints before my guests do.
I also called Orkin and informed them of the spiders. It is summer and our property is right on the river so we do struggle with bugs. My maintenance man sprays the exterior and bushes weekly. There might be a specific issue with the room you had and I hope Orkin can correct this.
I was very surprised to read that you felt our breakfast quality was below your expectation as I usually her compliments as we offer beyond what is required by our brand standard. Boiled eggs and glazed French Toasts are favorites of many of my guests.
I do hope you call me so I can refund you and find out more about the breakfast situation.

Rodney A. Piotraschke