“Not good but not as bad as I thought.”

Motel 6 La Crosse WI
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I got this hotel on Priceline. It was listed as a 2 star but that's highly questionable! I paid $50 plus their $14.31 so not a deal at all. Could have booked it at that rate on any website. After I "won", I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and on Priceline'. Most were really bad. I was concerned so called Priceline. After 20+ minutes on the phone, they said they "back" this hotel. Another lesson learned! My sister and I arrived around 7 p.m. Checked in and it was for one double bed. A double bed for 2 people? I asked if they had any rooms left with 2 beds. The guy was nice and said he did, and it was his last one. It was all the way at the end of the long hall. Fortunately, we were able to park in the back and didn't have to go through the hall. We did that in the morning for breakfast and it definitely smells or urine! Very small breakfast area and not much there. The room was okay. Didn't notice any smells in there thankfully. AC worked. No notice of bugs or hair. Socks were filthy from the carpet. Sister noticed a couple leaving with THREE dogs. Bed was okay for comfort. Shower worked fine. Glad it was only one night. I would stay again only if it meant there or the ground.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
H0J0GM, General Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

I was proud to read that Priceline “backed” my motel as 22 out of 30 reviews about my motel are really good reviews. I am proud of my staff and property as I see each staff member give 100% to do everything in their power to assure guests are happy.
When purchasing “Low Rate” deals online it is wise to call the motel that was selected for you prior to arrival to ask the desk staff to assign the correct room type. Especially during summer months in La Crosse as the city usually sells out all motel rooms. If the motels sells out all their double rooms prior to a guest’s arrival – there is nothing the desk staff can do to change the room type because there are no double rooms available. I feel so bad when this happens and it actually happens a lot during summers in La Crosse. I am happy that there was actually one left for you when you arrived.
You were right about the guest that had 3 dogs. The housekeepers confirmed that these dogs caused an awful odor. I also talked to my maintenance man about assuring clean carpets via use of a rotating schedule for shampooing rooms.
Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention, as managers need to hear these things.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Great place. Friendly and helpful staff, good breakfast, I enjoyed my stay there and was impressed by how friendly the staff was and how clean the rooms were.
I definetly will stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sadtobehomeWisconsin
H0J0GM, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
We are extremely pleased to hear your stay met your expectations. It is the Howard Johnson Team's policy to, if not meet, to exceed the guest's satisfaction and comfort. We enjoy being personable with our customers and are happy our rooms and breakfast attributed positive feedback!
We would be more than happy to accommodate you again any time - If you did not get a chance to see or experience all that LaCrosse can offer, I recommend for your next trip here, feel free to ask our Front Desk staff about ideas to fulfill your agenda, we have all the sources to great dinning, beautiful scenery and plenty of productive or leisure activities!
Again, thank you for taking the time to comment and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Emily Mollet
Front Desk Services

Reviewed July 2, 2011

Okay, here's the good, I don't think there were any bedbugs in our room! Now for the reality of how bad a place this was. When my wife and I arrived in LaCrosse to attend a wedding.. We were told that were being upgraded to a suite, which sounded good so we checked it out. It had a super strong curry/Indian food stink and we immediately asked to see another room. The second room smelled like a full ashtray so we asked to see a third. This room smelled slightly like cigarettes and we decided it would have to do. Bad mistake; that night the smell seemed to get stronger and it actually triggered my asthma so I had to use my inhaler for the next few days. Other issues: Dirty, dirty room; crumbs and other unidentifiable debris on floor, power outlets with 5 and even 6 plugs going into them, which looked like a sure fire hazard. And lastly a bathroom that had mildew and I'm guessing nicotine staining on all surfaces (also it smelled of sweat). Nasty place, checked out first thing next day.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tkeefe
H0J0GM, General Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2011

I am very sorry to read that you had a bad experience at my motel. Most blogs about my motel tell me that my staff is personable, friendly and helpful and that I have very clean rooms. So I take it very serious when I come across a bad blog.
I would love to offer a refund if you contact me as I confidently guarantee 100% guest satisfaction and after researching your stay I discovered that you did share some accurate criticisms.
I provide rooms to benevolent organizations for families in crisis and in the room beside you was a family with two little children. My housekeepers confirmed that the room did have a bad odor due to the youngster’s diapers.
The housekeepers also reported a few rooms were smoked in during the night of your stay as we are to fine anyone smoking in public places as it is Wisconsin’s law. I am sorry that my desk employee was not made aware of the smokers so he could have dealt with them.
Regarding the power outlets, we undergo inspection from the Fire Department twice a year and the power outlets in my property are officially approved.
Also, I checked the bathroom to try to understand what you were talking about regarding mildew and found that some discolored caulking that could be replace. I wrote up a work order for maintenance to redo the caulk.
Thank you for sharing your experience as this information helps my staff and I watch for the problem spots so we can try to prevent them from happening.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

Very personable and pet friendly. Free Wi-fi and Pizza hut next door a great combination excellent place to stay with pets!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SpeedyOdie
H0J0GM, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2011

Thank you you for taking time to comment about our facility and staff. We certainly appreciate the compliments that we receive from our valued guest. At Howard Johnson LaCrosse, we have a very liberal pet policy.
Dogs and cats are welcome, there is no restriction on size and we do not charge an additional fee for your pet's stay, just a refundable $10 pet deposit. Most inn keepers have weight restrictions and charge a nightly pet fee up to $25 per night. Howard Johnson is located just 2 signal lights south of I-90 at exit 3, and just minutes from downtown LaCrosse's "Historical District". There are excellent restaurants all within walking distance from the motel. Check our explore LaCrosse packages to take advantage of our special room rates, which include complimentary meals or gift certificates at selected restaurants.

Greg Westland

Reviewed June 22, 2011

We were in town for a wedding and needed an early check-in. They were very accommading and let us check-in early. I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jelietz

Thank you for staying with us. We do hope that the wedding went well and that you were able to enjoy other things La Crosse has to offer during this beautiful time of the year. We are proud of our housekeeping staff as well as our front desk for keeping things ship-shape so you were able to check in, early. We look forward to being your primary choice of stay on your next visit to La Crosse! Thank you!

Dennis Campos

Reviewed April 8, 2011

Mary had our room spotless and cleaned to perfection, I am a goverment employee and travel alot to differnt hotels, this smells very clean and the room is clean and well kept. Hats off to the housekeepers there!...

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jenny59973
H0J0GM, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Thank you! We are so lucky to really have some of the housekeepers as a part of our staff here at HOJO of La Crosse. Please don't be a stranger and pay us another visit next time you're in town. Thanks!

Reviewed March 15, 2011

We have been looking or a nice, affordable place to stay when we come to town to visit family. This place was disgusting. The whole hotel smelled of smoke and urine. The rooms were dirty, beds hard, carpet smelled and the linens didn't look as though they had been cleaned. We almost left right after checking in. The hotel walls where so thin, I could have held a conversation with the guests upstairs. (By the way, they were partying until 6:00am) Throught the night, I could hear the guests upstairs actually urinate into the toilet. Again, disgusting. If were didn't have little children that we sleeping, we would have left during the night. Neither myself or my husband slept. When I checked out EARLY that next morning, I mentioned that it was loud the night before and was given the responce "yeah, it was a little loud last night wasn't it."

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SaraGasper
H0J0GM, General Manager at Motel 6 La Crosse WI, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

Wow, I am very sorry to read of your experience. I was a bit surprised as I usually hear that my property has clean rooms and a friendly desk staff which I pride myself in. I had to do a bit of research to find out what happened so I could make this right.

First, I discovered that you were right. We had a sellout weekend due to a tournament in town and even my housekeepers complained about the drinking, vomit and trashed rooms.

I wanted to blame my desk staff for not controlling the noise but immediately realized this was my own fault for leaving my property understaffed on a sell out weekend. This was an unexpected sell out and I was not ready for it.

Again, I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at my motel. I’m sure you noticed your refund a few weeks ago. We are rolling into our summer sell out season and I spent the last few weeks interviewing and hiring outstanding summer help employees.

Thank you for not being silent. Managers need to hear these comments and guests deserve our best. When I first read your blog, I felt you were being unfair. But once I researched what happened, I was thankful that you brought this to my attention.