“Great experience!”

Ranked #4 of 204 Restaurants in La Crosse
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Warm atmosphere highlighted by historic building. A menu built on steaks and seafood, with fresh vegetable salad bar and choice of side dish accompany every entree. Varying daily specials, seasonal vegetables, and seasonal served salads.
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were staying at the Grand Stay Inn across the street for an overnight in La Crosse and saw the Freight House across the street as we drove to the hotel. We decided to give it a try as it looked interesting. It turned out to be a good choice for us! My wife and I had the seafood special for the night which was an Alaskan Hailbut steak. It was very tasty and presentation was good as well. it was served with a baked squash that with a maple syrup glaze on the side that was oh my delicious! We enjoy these kind of re-tasked old buildings so the setting was great ini our opinion. The service we received from the wait staff was very good. All were quite attentive to our needs and made the appropriate amount of visits to our table to make us feel that we were well cared for. Prices were reasonable for the quality. We will definitely go back again when in La Crosse area to try the Freight House again!

There are newer reviews for Freighthouse Restaurant

Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I had dinner for our anniversary. I had never been and was excited because the reviews seemed pretty good. The service was really good, friendly and always checking in. The atmosphere is good, decor decent. The real problem was the food. I ordered a ribeye and it was cooked properly just extremely bland. I have made better tasting ribeye's myself on the grill. The vegetables were definitely just steamed with absolutely no seasoning or butter, gross really. My husband had the kabob and it was cooked well but just okay, not really seasoned and just plain. He had the vegetables as well which he agreed were bland and it also came with rice which was the best part of the meal. All in all it was an okay experience but for the price, I would go else where. Next time we will go to the waterfront and pay the same price for better food, decor and atmosphere!

2  Thank Crystal J
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is one of our favorite places to go for a special night out. We have never gotten a bad meal here. Some of our favorites are the Alaskan King Crab, the Kabobs, any steak on the menu and their salad bar is great too.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I took my college daughter here the night before Thanksgiving. We love traditional supper club places, and this lived up to the setting and service. Very much a meat-eaters dream - which I don't eat, but their fish was excellent even though they had run out of the halibut special. My daughter loves steak and hers was cooked to perfection, but unfortunately she said it had zero flavor. Maybe they don't use any seasoning, but she used the lemon butter that came with my salmon and dipped her steak in that and was happy. We also ordered maple acorn squash as the vegetable which was wonderful. The salad bar and dressings were very good too. Quite pricey (higher than the price chart on here) but worth it to do once and a while. I wouldn't bring young kids who are picky here - just because of the cost.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had a rehearsal dinner for my nephews wedding. For large groups you are provided a special menu. There was something for everyone and I had prime rib and a loaded baked potato, it was excellent. I asked for a glass of Chardonnay and the bartender did open up a better bottle than just the house when I gave him a look that said that I wanted a nicer wine. We had great service and an enjoyable evening.