“Great Alternative to the American Club, Esp. for Canine Lovers”
Review of Inn on Woodlake

Inn on Woodlake
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Reviewed November 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the American Club last fall and very much enjoyed the trails around River Wildlife, the affiliated forest preserve area with restaurant/hunting lodge. But we wanted to figure out a way to bring our large golden retriever. There are virtually no nice places in Kohler or Sheboygan that allow dogs. Enter the Inn on Woodlake that became dog-friendly earlier this year. What a find! For a one-time fee of $75 (for extra cleaning services after your stay), our golden (and if we had a second dog, then the second dog too) was able to stay in a nice very nice hotel room and enjoy all of the American Club amenities, such as the spa, the restaurants, etc. And given that our room was half the rate of the American Club but twice as updated (the bathrooms are MUCH nicer than those in the standard rooms of the American Club), I was pleased as pie. Our well-behaved dog was treated nicely by hotel staff and guests alike, provided with a disposable food and water bowl and a variety of treats. We were even given a nice map with diagrams of suggested walking tours to take with our fuzzy best friend.

Only 3 rooms are dog-friendly at the Inn - all are on the first floor with a sliding door for direct access to the outside (key for dog owners). The rooms either have one comfortable king bed or 2 double beds. I tried negotiating with staff to allow me to stay in a larger suite in exchange for paying a higher price for the dog cleaning, but they wouldn't budge, which was actually fine by me and probably speaks to the integrity of the staff - i.e., they're not going to put a dog-allergic person into a room used by a dog, no matter how much money I was willing to throw at them :-). In actuality, the size of the room just fine - it had a nice corner desk and even a small couch near the window. The large LG flat screen TV on the wall was a great plus. The lighting in the room is much nicer than the lighting in the American Club rooms. Honestly, I would probably stay here again, even if I didn't have our dog with us. The value, the walking-distance proximity to the American Club, the easy access to things like the high-end market in the mall area, and the updated bathroom were all huge pluses to me. Plus, I loved the quiet, understated classiness of the Inn as compared to the more obvious American Club. For someone with high hotel expectations, I totally recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Inn on Woodlake

Reviewed September 9, 2009

We were in Kohler over the Labor Day weekend for a wedding at the American Club. The Inn at Woodlake is definately a more economical place to stay than the main hotel although definately not cheap. I booked 2 nights in a suite. It was a fine room - nothing special except that it was spacious and had a great flat screen TV and Ipod docking station. Of course the bathroom was great - with an awesome shower. The location of our room was right next to an elevator, whose door slammed shut regularly starting at 6:00 each morning.

The hotel is located adjacent to a 1/2 filled shopping plaza. This is a little distance from the American Club, although there is a shuttle between the hotels.

As a word of advise - you need to realize that this is NOT the American Club. This is a basic hotel accomodation. There are no amenities on site at the hotel. If you are looking for a full service hotel - you would be advised to pay the additional rate and stay at the American Club.

The continental breakfast was nice and well maintained.

Overall, Kohler is a great place to spend a couple of days - very relaxing. In Inn is a fine place to stay - although for the money I would have expected slightly more.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2009

My daughter and I spent two pleasant days at the Kohler Carriage House Water Spa then moved over to the Inn at Woodlake to be closer to the stores. We shopped all day, dined at Cuicini's Italian Restuarant and turned in early, about 10pm. Our room was at the end of the hall next to the Exit stairway. Suddenly someone started pounding on our door trying to break in, on what we thought was the main door, but it turned out it was the connecting door to the adjoining room. This woke us and we immediately shouted for them to stop, but they continued, and called the Front Desk. The Front Desk said they would send up Security but they didn't arrive for almost 10 minutes. We could hear Security speak to the people in the next room but they never came over and checked on us. We felt uncomfortable and called the Front Desk for a room change, they didn't help with our luggage, we carried it ourselves, unescorted to the floor below. We are extremely disappointed with this hotel.

Stayed: May 2009
6  Thank cabinlover
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We stayed here one night before transfering over to the Parent Hotel, the 5 Star American Club. Wow, were we impressed at the Inn. The rooms wer fabulous and the service outstanding. The bathroom was amazing with all Kohler fixtures, marble and tile. Our bed and pillows were actually more comfortable at this hotel than at the 5 star. The Inn is smaller and does not have all the amenitites of the American Club, but you are connected to the shops, a fabulous yoga salon and a wonderful Italian restaurant. Plus, they'll shuttle you over the two blocks to the Am. Club for spa services and/or dinner. The staff went out of their way to help with whatever we needed. I'll definately go back here and it's such a value at less than 1/2 the cost of the bigger hotel. In my mind this is a 3-4 star and only wouldn't get 5 b/c they don't have all the amenities those usually offer. But, you get a 5star room! That's all I care about. Thanks for the great stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank dkfalk
Reviewed March 7, 2009

An excellent value. We were planning a short trip to the area for a foodie weekend and visit to the nearby waterpark in Sheboygan. We chose the Inn because of the reasonable rate and comfortable beds, and we were not disappointed. A great night's sleep! The rooms are tastefully furnished with contemporary/modern decor, and the Kohler shower proved to be a nice in-room spa indulgence. Other pluses include the gracious staff and a generous spread offered at breakfast. My only reservation was that the spa services are rather overpriced. But we were not staying there for the resort so much as for other attractions in the area. If you plan to be spending time in Sheboygan during the day, you may want to check out the Entourage Aveda Spa as an alternative.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Laelia-fidelensis
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I stayed here for a wedding at Whistling Straits. We couldn't spring the $400+ a night for the American Club, so went with the Inn on Woodlake instead. The room was very nice-- much nicer than I expected. The bathroom had luxurious showers and nice bath products from the nearby Waters spa, comfortable beds, and a surprisingly pretty view from our window (it faced a field full of grasses and wildflowers). I talked to some other guests who had stayed at both the American Club and the Inn on Woodlake, and they said the bathroom and shower amendities were actually nicer at the Inn.

There's not a whole lot in the way of services here (no concierge or porter), so it's mostly self-serve. However, there is a shuttle that will take you to the golf courses, spa, and various other local sites. I felt like we were able to enjoy some of the high-end perks of the area without breaking the bank. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank viajera725
Reviewed September 2, 2008

As you venture to your room after checking in you will notice the nice wood paneling - which at least makes for an interesting walk (if not a dark walk) to the room. As I nestled into my bed to watch the Olympics I noticed the sound from the flat screen TV was coming from speakers in the wall behind me – cool. Nice picture AND sound. The next morning when I awoke from my pleasant rest in the way-above-average comfortable bed you get to admire the expected nice Kohler fixtures in the bathroom. The shower is one of those fancy types with water spurting from everywhere – a temperature change would boil you alive because there is nowhere to run – but alas MarkoTraveler you are not at home so you don’t have to worry about someone flushing the toilet and ruining your comfortable shower.

After staying at the American Club the last time I was in Kohler I was expecting this hotel to be somewhat of a let down– but it if it is a step down I would have to say it is only ½ a step.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MarkoTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
#3 of 11 in Sheboygan
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to Inn on Woodlake? Share your experiences!