“A relaxing Winter getaway...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The American Club

The American Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“A relaxing Winter getaway...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

My husband and I booked a one-night stay at the American Club. I was able to get an off-season rate, plus I had gift cards to use from purchasing tickets to the PGA held in Kohler earlier in 2010, so we wanted to use our gift cards towards a night's stay!

Making the reservation was very easy and the staff were friendly and knowledgeable. We had to check in in the basement/parking structure area instead of the front entrance (which I later found out was because they are remodeling the entrance). This was not a big deal. The lady at the desk was very nice and cheery. Someone helped us take our luggage to our room, and they also parked our car for us in the underground parking structure (which is nice in the Winter time...it means no snow on our car in the morning).

Our room was extremely clean. They said we had a 'newly remodeled' room. No bathtub, just a shower. The shower was great though - it had numerous Kohler brand sprayers and a place to sit. The bathroom was very nice, the bed was nice, the linens were spectacular. My only complaint about the bed was the pillows. They were huge and fluffy and my husband and I both had a hard time sleeping on them. Since there were six pillows on the bed, maybe the hotel could make 2 super fluffy, 2 medium and 2 light - that way everyone can be happy? Nice carpeting - it was actually cushy and soft, unlike most gross hotel floors. There was a fully stocked refrigerator and snack bar (for additional cost). Magazines to read, plenty of seating, the closet even had an umbrella for use.

We ate at Cucina for dinner, in the Shops At Woodlake. The restaurant would be nicer if it wasn't in a strip mall, but once you were in it you kind of forgot about the location. The service/waitress was nice and knowledgeable. We had two appetizers, a sampling of oysters, two pasta entrees and creme brulee for dessert. I would give the food a 6-7 out of 10. We also tried a new Italian wine that we enjoyed.

The turn down service when we got back to our room after dinner was awesome. They dimmed this lights over the bed, had slippers at each side of the bed, a little tray with cookies and the breakfast order menu.

This was a quick stay for us and we really did not have time to see the rest of the resort. The room was warm and inviting, the staff were friendly and we will definitely come back some day. I will be back soon to use the Spa.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2011

We went as a couple's winter getaway, and while it felt like we were "missing" a bit of the charm of Kohler in that season, it was still a fantastic place to experience. Great building, interesting historic information, excellent food, quiet, fantastic sevice... However, we did feel a little underdressed and almost like we were "not worthy" of such treatment. Also the price was a bit much, esp considering you really don't need to be staying at the Club to enjoy it's services (such as the food or the tea service). I would avoid this place if you are a family or would want a touch less snobbery... otherwise I couldn't speak more highly of the experience.

Geneva, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

Very disappointed in our stay. I would not consider this a 5 Star Hotel.

Reception Staff did not inform us of may things like no on-site Indoor pool, whirlpool or Spa/Workout Center. No Continental Breakfast. Staff did not provide an sort of communication of what is going on at the Hotel or in the Kohler area.

Also wen we came down the first night to see about dinner at the hotel, we talked with the Concierge who appeared to eye us and determine that we could not afford places like the Immigrant Restaurant. Both my wife and I got very clear vibes that we should not bother her with continued questions and we ended up simply going up to our room and eating what we brought with us for the trip for dinner.

Here is another example of not being told about what is going on at the hotel, As we were going down to the basement to pick up our car to go out to dinner that night, we saw that there was a group signing Christmas Carols in the Library area. I went over and saw that there appeared to be appetizers there, but because there was no sign I was not sure if we were invited.

Here is what I would express about our experience there.

If you are looking for peace and quiet, looking to read a book, looking for all the Tea and Cookies you want, not interested in on-site ammenities then it is a good place to go. If you are looking for ammendities like on-site pool, spa, workout center, activities, etc. you can find it at a much, much cheaper hotel. Way too expensive for what you get.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Mark_from_Geneva
Monticello, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

Our second stay at this marvelous resort, this time for New Years weekend, exceeded our already high expectations due to the previous visit. Absolutely elegant and timeless, spotlessly clean, and well cared for. The resort was booked, yet the check-in went as smooth as silk. The service here on all fronts is second to none. I've never had so many doors opened for me in my life.

We were told at the front desk that we were being put in a redecorated room and they were not kidding. The new version comports with the high standards of the past with no expense spared and no short cuts that we could identify. Very luxurious with the best bathroom stuff from the Kohler Company and the most comfortable bed imaginable. Along with turn down service, they put out bath robes and slippers for you and leave you a little treat. Nice flat panel TV w/HD programming and all of the possible connections you can think of for portable devices. No stone is left unturned when it comes to service and the little things that add up to five stars.

Terrific lunch at the Horse and Plow and excellent food for the New Years Eve dinner in the Wisconsin Room.

I say again, not cheap but worth every penny, elegant , but not intimidating, formal, but very homey as well.

We will be back in the spring.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

This place is amazing. We stayed here as a treat on our 3 week US holiday. The service was fantastic and the rooms were gorgeous.

We treated ourselves to a couples massage with riverbath and it was fantastic. Incredibly relaxing and the spa facilities are excellent.

Would recommend this hotel as a treat with your loved one. We ate in the Wisconsin Room for dinner and had the seafood buffet. It was delicious and so much to choose from.

This is a stunning place

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

It is difficult where to begin this review, as I was truly impressed with every aspect of my stay. Prior reviews, including mine from last year, point out most of the strengths of the property. It really is incredible.

We stayed in a renovated deluxe room above the library. The renovations were very well done; the room was plush & felt like a 5 diamond room. It really felt like a guest bedroom in a mansion rather than a hotel room.

For the reviews that say there are no rec facilities; if you are willing to take a 2 minute shuttle ride, Sportscore is complimentary for guests. There you can find a large workout space, 2 lap pools, indoor & outdoor hot tubs and a sauna. It is clean and well maintained. Although it was quite busy the afternoon we were there, we didn't feel crowded.

Restaurants are plentiful and food is good. If you don't feel like eating at a Kohler restaurant, there are many choices in Sheboygan, which is only 10 minutes away.

This is an older hotel, but it is by far the most elegant hotel we have ever been to. After the renovations, rooms now have LCD TV's and movies on demand. They also have in-room coffee makers, as well as a fully stocked honor bar. I found it easier to walk to the Greenhouse to grab complimentary morning coffee.

The staff is very proper and will accommodate most requests without question.

1 Thank Chicagoboy29
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

My husband and I decided to visit this hotel for a night after seeing it in 1,000 Places to See Before You Die (US and Canada version). We live in Chicago, so it was just a quick 2.5 hour drive north. While the hotel is normally quite expensive, we found a great last minute deal on their website and thought that it would be a pretty time to visit with the snow and Christmas lights. I have to admit, after reading the reviews, I wasn't expecting much, and boy, was I wrong! This hotel was beautiful and full of old charm. No, this isn't a brand new hotel, but that's not the point of it. It's a historic hotel with so much character. Yes, the hallways and rooms are a bit dark, but I truly was not bothered by this at all. I just felt that it added to the ambiance. The bathrooms were beautiful with top of the line Kohler fixtures. There were sitting rooms on the floors that were decorated with beautiful Christmas trees. They also had complimentary tea in the afternoon, and carolers, munchies, and drinks in the parlor the same evening. While a lot of the guests seemed uptight, we had a great time. The staff was exceptional, with the bellman calling us by our name each time he saw us. We also visited the spa for massages and were only disappointed that we forgot to pack our bathing suits. The spa was gorgeous and again, the staff provided exceptional service. While we don't love the Midwest and rarely find gems in this area, this truly is a diamond in the rough!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
Harbor Winds
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!