“A wonderful Labor Day weekend”
Review of The American Club

The American Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
New York City, New York
“A wonderful Labor Day weekend”
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We just returned from staying at the Carriage Suites at the American Club and a spectacular Labor Day weekend. Our room was huge, also had a giant whirlpool bath. This part of the property is directly connected to the spa, a first class facility where I had a very good, professional massage. If you stay at this part of the property, there is a more than adequate complimentary continental breakfast and an equally nice cocktail and snack spread late afternoon. Food at the Kohler restaurants we dined at (Horse and Plow, Whistling Straits restaurant, and Blackwolf Run restaurant) was all above average --- but this place is not about food, it is about golf, and if you love the game, it is paradise. There are some limited options for non-golfers here --- a great gym facility only a few minutes away, and some hiking, lackluster shopping, but i would hesitate to book a trip of more than two days here unless everyone in the group plays golf. Service everywhere we went was friendly and very good. Expensive but worth it, we will be back.

Stayed September 2007
7 Thank susan r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Upon booking our room at the American club, the reservationist quoted a higher price than what I saw online. It turns out that it is sometimes cheaper to book a package deal. We went with a couples package, which included free breakfast and 10% off any spa service. The room was lovely, and we enjoyed the lounges and delicious restaurants at the hotel. The spa was great, but services were a bit pricey. Be sure to confirm with the massage therapist what type of massage you are to receive. I was a bit suprised that the couples massage was not a traditional relaxing swedish massage, but a rather intense deep tissue massage. The amenities in the spa such as a whirlpools, plunge pools, saunas and steam rooms were wonderful. Admission to the spa is complimentary if you book a service, otherwise it costs $25 and is well worth it. Although we did not use the golf course or shopping areas, they were a quick shuttle ride away and looked very appealing. Be sure to check out the design center during your stay. You could spend hours admiring the latest from the Kohler brand. If you are lookign for a relaxing weekend with fabulous dining, then the American Club is well worth the higher prices.

• Liked — Variety of high quality dining available
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank malone35
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2007

This place was awesome. The golf was amazing. The rooms were all wonderful. The spa was world class. This hotel I found to be better than a lot of ritz carltons. You can tour the factory or take a tour of the design factory. They even have a horse and carriage in the city. It is amazing. The rooms were super luxurious. If your looking for luxury and amazing service come here. I highly reccomending eating in the Wisconsin Room for Breakfast. There is also a really luxurious restaurant called the Imigrant Room it is super fancy. The Bold Look of Kohler has done it again, with giving there guest an awesome vacation.

• Liked — Awesome Service and Luxury
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank grandhotel22
Miami Beach
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Unfortunately to book tee times in advance you must stay at the American Club. The golf courses are wonderful but most else is terrible considering the prices charged. We paid $500.00+ per night for a room that looked out to a wall,was very dark, had a/c that did not cool the room and a fancy shower system that worked half the time. Their billing system is so bad, we spent several hours attempting to get our bill corrected. We were charged double for some golf, had charges on our bill from other rooms, and observed others at checkout having similar problems. There seems to be little caring by management as they leave these difficulties to be corrected by office staff who unfortunately bear the brunt of customers' frustrations.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
11 Thank stort
usa
Reviewed August 2, 2007

I attended a conference at the American Club in early spring and thought it might be a nice place to bring my mother since my room would be paid for. We were really disappointed. I had requested, early on, a double room, but when we checked in, we were told none were availible. I ended up sleeping on a fold out couch! Our room was good size, but outdated. The furnishings were quite beat up. I had heard about the extravagant bathrooms, but I must say, my home bath is better decorated with better Kohler fixtures! I also must agree with the writer who said his wife was bored to tears. If you are not a golfer, there is simply not much else to do. There is no pool or good shopping. The spa is nice, but services are expensive. The little shopping strip does not have much to offer. My mom was really bored while I attended the conference. We even drove into Sheboygan to see a movie one night, for lack of other entertainment. The little is absolutely dead at night. The service is good. The food is just okay and overly priced. We ended up checking out one day early. I would certainly not recommend this hotel for a casual weekend.

Stayed March 2007
7 Thank barbaraUsa
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2007

Let me start by saying the golf is world class. I thought Whistling Straights is one of the best I have played, better than Pebble Beach by far. The hotel however is not of the same standard. The rooms (we
looked at 3 before settling on 1) are somewhat old and faded although
certainly veryclean. The sevice was superb until checkout when I wanted a late checkout so my son and I could finish our round at Whistling Straights(at $400 per person). The front desk clerk was somewhat rude regarding this request and threatened to charge 1/2 day for 1 hour after the noon check out. The restaurants were good with excellent service, but you will eat much better at Stefanos in Sheboygan 15 minutes away. It is a great golf destination but not a full sevice resort. There is not a pool or even a lounge chair in the beautiful gardens. My wife is not a golfer and was bored to tears. The spa was also very nice. The gym was 1/2 a mile away and well equiped.

• Liked — golf courses
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank jed k
St. Paul
Reviewed May 21, 2007

I can say that the American Club is one of the finest properties I have stayed at. Overall the facility looked great, the furnishings were top notch, service was excellent and you received a good value for what you paid.

The hotel looked in great physical shape. The garden was well landscaped with bright flowers, greenery and ornaments. The building was well kept with elegant understatement and classic charm. It was a little confusing at times because there are many twists and turns to the corridors, stairwells and elevators but not unexpected situation in an older historical building. It was also a little annoying to have to go to the front door in order to get into the building, the many doors leading to the exterior could only be used from the inside, a surprise when even the most basic of hotels now have card or fob readers to allow guests to enter and exit from the door of their choice. Nonetheless the hotel was very modern in a historic well maintained and updated building.

As far as the rooms themselves, we liked our room very much. We stayed in a deluxe room. We had a very comfortable bed with down comforter, a wet bar, cd player/radio alarm clock, a sofa sitting area with coffee table, and a writing table. There was a coffee market, iron and ironing board discreetly tucked away in the closet. The bathroom was well lighted with double sinks, an oversized single tub, and a lighted magnifying mirror in addition to the standard one. I was actually surprised that the bathroom fixtures weren't more daring considering the innovative creations next door at the Kohler Design Center. The room was not huge but by no means small. I think we will try the standard room next time or go larger rather than the deluxe. The tv was surprisingly dated (an old rounded tube tv) but you may not care. My wife and I loved the room and could definitely have lived in there for weeks.

The best part of the hotel was the excellent service. Everyone was polite and friendly. Each staff member seemed ready to go the extra step if needed. We were celebrating our anniversary and the hotel very kindly sent a bottle of sparking wine. We had rushed out of our room to get to a spa appointment and we came back to find our bed turned down and our clothes neatly folded on top of our luggage when we returned.

As side from the hotel staff, the staff at their restaurants seemed very nice and friendly too. We enjoyed the Horse and Plow as well as the Greenhouse. We also enjoyed dining at Cucina where the service was not quite as good but still a nice experience. The food at each was first rate, except the ice cream at the Greenhouse was not as full mouth creamy as you would expect for a premium house made ice cream. Nonetheless, it was an excellent experience.

I would say it is a good value. We booked a destinationkohler.com rate at the last minute and stayed at the hotel for the spa. The hotel is definitely a premium hotel with all the usual extras. It wasn't cheap but it was a good value for the comfort, hospitality and service we received. I would definitely stay there again for those factors.

As far as the Kohler Waters Spa, it was a tremendous spa. The actual spa was actually fairly small compared to large top line destination spas but they did everything well. The rooftop lounge was bright, warm and cheerful as was the first floor lounge. The lower level was intimate without feeling claustrophobic. The treatments were excellent and we found it to be a relaxing oasis.

I would highly recommend staying at Kohler for a great getaway or special occasion destination.

• Liked — The comfortable room
  • Disliked — The view from the room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank part_time_beach_bum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#7 of 11 in Sheboygan
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
52 Stafford
52 Stafford
#4 of 5 in Plymouth
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!