“Pleasant March getaway”
Review of The American Club

The American Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Spent a weekend here with our school age children. The American Club is quite elegant. We had connecting deluxe rooms(all that was available) and they were very spacious. The other wings are currently undergoing renovations and while curtains,etc may benefit from the updating we still found the room to be in good shape with wonderfully comfortable beds and huge bathrooms with whirlpool tubs. Ate at both Wisconsin Room and Plow and Horse and both were excellent. The resort seems heavily geared toward couples(kids aren't allowed at the high end Carriage House accomodations for example) and this is not the place to go if you have rowdy kids. However, our family was treated well and wouldn't hesitate to come here with well behaved children. Pool is large and lovely but is off site at the Sports Core which is a minor inconvenience(5minute drive and they will shuttle you there), especially if you have small kids. Only complaint was that the first night there was a lot of noise in the room above us-something about the structure allows you to hear walking back and forth so if possible I would recommend getting a room on the top floor. Overall a very lovely place to stay and is probably really wonderful in warmer weather when the gardens are in bloom

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank IndianaTravelmom

Reviewed March 3, 2010

My husband and I, along with another couple, recently spent two nights at the American Club over Valentine's Day weekend. Overall, it was a very fun, relaxing, and much needed getaway.

The hotel is very classic and reminded us of some older European hotels that are somewhat maze-like from years of additions. The service is stellar, from bellhops to room service to concierge. While there, we ate dinner at the Horse & Plow, brunch in the Wisconsin Room, dinner at Cucina, and lunch at Le Craverie. As well, we ordered room service twice. A friend and I also spent one afternoon at the Waters Spa.

Horse & Plow: Good service, salty but good food, fun atmosphere.

Wisconsin Room - Excellent service, excellent brunch, comfortable yet elegant atmosphere.

Cucina - Average minus service, average food. Not worth a second visit.

Le Craverie - Excellent service, fabulous food and chocolates (YUM)

Room Service - Excellent service, excellent coffee and food (I love room service)

Waters Spa - Nice set up, excellent facilities, good, but over-priced services (for WI), good service overall. There were, however, a few hiccups with my friend's treatments (they only massaged one of her feet, room was next to a loud waiting room, etc), which I think is unacceptable given the high standards that they tout. Also, the spa itself was very crowded, although I am willing to write that off to it having been Valentine's Day weekend. Overall, I would go back, but with some hesitation.

While we were there, all but 75 of the American Club's room were closed for renovations ($30M worth for the upcoming PGA championships). It did not seem dusty to me, but my allergies and my husband's sinuses were a total nightmare all weekend, so sleep was a challenge. However, the room was very well-appointed, with an over-sized jacuzzi tub and a nice sitting area. Everything functioned as it should and anything that we needed was swiftly delivered. I can see, however, why they are making updates to the rooms (the tub surround was pink).

I did not personally use the SportsCore gym, but my husband informed me that it had all of the latest equipment and was very nice.

All in all, it was a very relaxing getaway and we do plan to return on a less busy weekend. This is a great place to have in Wisconsin - historical and full of amenities.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2010

If are from Chicago, Milwaukee or any of the surrounding cities, and you really want to get away and relax without the fuss of flying, this is the place for you. This place is for people who are serious about relaxing, unwinding and taking advantage on the on-premise spa. Because the spa is part of the hotel, you can spend the whole weekend in a spa robe and I think most of the guests do spend the majority of their time doing just that. I went for a girls' weekend and it was amazing!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2010

The American club was really luxurious. Amazing restaurants and surroundings in the middle of this Wisconsin community. The staff was spectacular. This place is a real gem.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the American Club for a St Valentine's day weekend getaway, it was both our first times there. Let's start from the beginning. Old beautiful building, with a ton of dark wood that is definitely dated. However, this is what I would expect from a building with the heritage of the AC. I love the chandeliers, wood burning fireplaces, and brick hallways that feel as though you are going through your own secret passageway to a restaurant. I don't expect for the price to have dated rooms to stay in. I find this unacceptable. The queen beds seemed smaller than others, the TV was off to the side of the room, so watching any T.V. in bed was impossible ( understanding that you don't pay $300 a night minimum to watch tv, but still) not to mention it was a small 32 inch old tv, not the modern flat screens that even Hampton Inns have today. The bathroom was nice, but seeing this is KOHLER ....I expected a bit more. Our room was 169 and even when the heat was turned off it would skyrocket to about 78 degrees....the ceiling fan would only work on high, and the first night the heater would creek and spit like a old fashioned boiler heat system. Once again , not acceptable. We did mention something to the front desk and they said they would look into it. The 2nd night the noise was gone, but the heat was unbearable and we had to open the windows to cool off the room. We mentioned this at check out and once again, " we are sorry we will look into it." After a $1500 bill, I feel a bit more would have been appropriate. So that is the accommodations....very average. I travel for work and well....I have been to much better. Now onto the food and drink. I must say that the Wisconsin room was by far my favorite part of the stay. The servers were very friendly, knowledgeable and prompt. The food was amazing. We had 3 meals there, 1 breakfast, 1 dinner and 1 Sunday Brunch. Breakfast was delicious. I had the Cheddar Omelet, very good with a side of heirloom tomatoes..very nice. Mark had pancakes and said they were good. For dinner we had the Valentines special which was a 5 course meal that was spectacular for $60 pp. Fondue to die for, a tenderloin soup and wild rice and mushroom soup that was the best I have ever tasted, 2 different choices of salads, tenderloin with a whipped sweet potato and regular potato side, asparagus cooked perfectly, and tomatoes that were like a flavor explosion in your mouth! Then dessert which we had to take with us back to the room. The whole meal was delightful. The Sunday brunch consisted of meats, cheeses, oysters, mussels, 3 different smoked fish, carving table, omelet table, french toast table, and a dozen different other brunch delights. THE best brunch I have had. Well worth an hour drive to experience again. Friday night we had a later dinner at the Immigrant Room, which is an upscale dining experience where men must have coats and the ambience is lovely. You MUST stop at the Winery Bar for a pre dinner drink and try the BEST Cucumber Mint Mojito ever. Our meal at the I.R. was very good, personally I liked the ambience and quality of service at the WI room much better. I think the I.R. is a place to go once, try it, experience the culinary creations that have given the I.R. its' reputation that is deserved, and make it a special occasion. Will I go back? No. Will I go back to the WI room? Yes , yes and yes.
Finally, we had a couples massage booked at the Water Spa. We were not aware that our massages included the use of the spa for the day,( hence the term day spa) to relax in the hot tub, use the pool, the sauna or the cooling pools. So neither of us brought out swimsuits and for almost $200 per person for the massage, this could have been an all day even making the price well worth it. I can't really blame anyone but ourselves for this, but how were we to know? My massage was done by a man Terry and he was absolutely wonderful, Mark had a lady ( can't remember her name) that was just ok. Ask for Terry though he was excellent, as I like a deep tissue and he was perfect! Never have gone to a spa I was a bit weirded out in the locker rooms as I do not like to undress in front of others and there really is no other place to do it and it brought back nightmares of junior high gym class...not really but for the reputation I was also surprised at how small the spa facilities were. Each of the men's and women's locker rooms had hot tubs, with a cool dip pool next to it as well as a sauna. However, the hot tub was crowded and who wants to sit alone it a hot tub if you are there as a couple? The upper "rooftop" spa area also had a crowded hot tub, with a shower and a sitting area with a fireplace. Very nice but crowded, and since I had not swimsuit with me, hanging out it a bathrobe with a lot of other people was a bit awkward for me.....but now I know.
All and all it was great trip, but for the price it should have been.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2010

We got upgraded to a suite and the room was stunning! The spa is fantastic, the free food and liquor daily is such a rare find..high quality fruits and veggies and all kinds of delicious treats. Great service, romantic.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2010

We stayed at the carriage house to celebrate our 10th anniversary on Jan 9. I am glad to say that the experience was truly memorable.

Overall, the establishment was elegant, yet unpretentious. The services and amenities were excellent but not overpowering . Staff members had this amazing attention to detail capability to anticipate the guests’ expectations, in a subtle way.

Before we even had to ask for something, it was already taken care of. Turn down services, wine opener (the kind that is easy to use, without working up a sweat, or a heart attack....), chocolate to go with merlot, never-out fresh orange juice even during high volume Sunday morning breakfast time, ice cold towels by the sauna room....

In robes and slippers, sipping wine by the fireplace, talking about life. It was a great place to just unwind and to reconnect with loved ones, knowing everything else will go smoothly.

I had only one suggestion, however, with the in room oversize Jacuzzi bath tub shower head. The side shower head came apart when we tried to get into the tub. My bruise on the calf was minor, and didn’t ruin the whole experience.

I hope when the remodel time comes in the future, they would switch the side shower head placement (from left to right). Till then, I guess we just have to be extra careful getting in…. !

Overall, I had a great weekend. I will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank u_can_wear_ur_hat_2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#4 of 11 in Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!