The American Club/Carriage and Kohler Waters Spa is the perfect getaway for anyone from Chicago. Just a few hours from Chicago, the property and surrounding neighborhood of the American Club is beautiful and well kept. In the winter time, the Christmas lights and fireplaces are beautiful and inviting. In the summer and fall, there are paths for biking and running everywhere and it is wonderful to explore.
The Carriage House is worth the extra money, so you may get the breakfast, tea time and hors d'oeuvres. I thought the newly renovated Horse and Plow was a great option for dinner, as the other dining options are just ok. I really do not like Cucina and felt the food was pretty bad; and it is a small restaurant usually filled with big parties making it impossible to hear the people at your table. The Wisconsin room is great for breakfast, the eggs benedict was amazing! However, for dinner it was way overpriced and the room is a banquet hall, making it feel less romantic and quaint for a dinner choice.
The spa facilities are wonderful, including the top floor of the spa which has a co-ed hot tub. The cool plunge is great, and the showers are what you would want and expect from Kohler. However, the treatments are a total rip-off and after the first few visits, it will be hard to justify going back and paying over $200 for a massage that is just average. I am also really against the idea that the spa makes you get 2 services to avoid a "spa usage fee" on busier days. I also find it interesting that they bump up the price of the services on Saturdays. I get it, it is a popular day, but usually this means less available times for services and no chairs in the spa area, so I recommend going during the week, when it is less busy and much more quiet.
The town (really just 1 row of shops) nearby really has a few pricey stores. The green house coffee shop in the American club is adorable and great for a quick light breakfast. Overall, unless you go for a walk/run/golf/bike, you have no reason to be off the property. You will be able to relax in the spa, read a book by the many fireplaces, or go for a few very expensive meals.
Last thing to note, the golf courses are beautiful and there is a Yoga facility on the Lake and access to their fitness center. A perfect combination of relaxing and fitness oriented if that is your thing.
I think this place is worth going to once or twice, but after that, there is really no reason to continually go back for the amount of money you will spend for a short trip. I also think the management really cares and welcomes feedback, which is nice to see.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The American Club is a Forbes Five-Star Resort Hotel and the Midwest’s only AAA Five Diamond Resort Hotel providing unique, luxurious decor that with a singular quality experience room by room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and TravelClick so you can book your The American Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The American Club Hotel Kohler
- American Hotel Kohler
- The American Hotel
- American Club Wisconsin
- American Kohler
- American Club In Kohler Wi
- American Club Kohler Wi
- The American Club Kohler, Wisconsin