“A step back in time ...”
Review of The American Club

The American Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My MIL, SIL, and I came here to celebrate my MIL's 60th birthday. The staff did a wonderful job acknowledging the special occasion at every opportunity. This included a small birthday gift for her at the spa as well as complimentary champagne in our room. We were greeted by name whenever possible and the staff bordered on overly solicitous at times. Sometimes this can feel stuffy to me but for the occasion we were celebrating, it worked. The room and bathroom was large enough that the three of us never felt on top of each other. Housekeeping was quick to answer any request.
My biggest gripe with this hotel is that we had to travel through two extremely cold glass corridors to reach our room. It felt like we were practically outdoors. Also the underground tunnel connecting the hotel to the spa involved going through an unheated parking garage. Little details like this made it feel less luxurious at times.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear I0ves_t0_plan,

Thank you for celebrating your MIL’s 60th birthday at The American Club resort. It is lovely to see the team took great care to ensure it was a memorable birthday. I do apologize for the cold corridors. During the summer the windows are removed. It makes for a lovely walk on a summer day, as you can smell all the wonderful plants and flowers growing in our courtyards. I am working with our maintenance team to be sure the heat lamps in the corridors are working properly, as normally they do a solid job of warming things up.

We hope you are able to return to celebrate many more special occasions.

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 12, 2013

While the American Club is a beautiful facility, especially the bathrooms, it certainly doesn't live up to a 5 star rating! The Kohler Design center is very interesting -- and the area is quaint. You can take a tour of the manufacturing facility and there are a few shops .... BUT -- If you're not going for the golf ... don't go! There's very little to do if the golf courses aren't open or if it's rainy. Service was very slow, room service was awful. Food was mediocre at best -- especially since there is such a limited selection of restaurants open during the week. The spa supposedly world class spa services were unimpressive. It took 6 people to send a FedEx letter for us!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank mrc6363

Dear mrc6363,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Hearing directly from customers gives us the opportunity to make continuous improvements. Upon reading your posting I have taken immediate action with our team on speed of service, quality of food, and package delivery.

I realize these improvements cannot go back and change your experience with us this April. I would like to extend my sincerest apology on behalf of our entire team for your stay. I truly wish there was something we could do to erase these misses you experienced.

The summer season is a busier time for us and we sincerely hope you will return to try our resort during the warmer months.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I were passing through the Kohler, Wi area during our anniversary and decided to stay at the American Club on short notice for two nights. Their website indicated that multiple spa services would be unavailable from April 1st to the 3rd due to renovations at the spa. This would work out great since we were going to check in on the 3rd, we would be able to enjoy the Waters Spa on the 4th. Upon checking in, we booked a package deal for about $100 more that offered 20% off at the spa for any spa services. At no time was I notified of any changes to renovation dates. Once we got to our room, I called the spa to book the couples “Riverbath with Massage for Two” for April 4th. I was told that the RiverBath was unavailable due to the renovations. I inquired about the website stating that the renovations would be complete on the 3rd and was told that it had been extended. I hung up and was very unhappy. I then called back to book the “Kohler Massage for Two”. I was asked what time I preferred. I told the receptionist our time and she told me that it was unavailable. I asked what times they had open and she told me that the couples rooms were completely booked, but we could each get a massage in separate rooms (how romantic for our 11th anniversary!). I was a little puzzled, as I was not sure why she initially asked me what time I preferred if they were completely booked to begin with. I double checked the website to make sure I hadn’t missed something and discovered that all guests at The American Club during our stay received 20% off at the Waters Spa due to the renovations. Why was I not told this when I checked in? I could have saved $100! I asked to talk with a manager and was met by Lucas Chaltry. Mr. Chaltry attempted to make things right by offering my wife and I a couples massage in The American Club itself and a 30% discount. So, if I understand it correctly, a savings of an additional $30 and a massage in a room not even near the spa, nor designed for a massage. I declined Mr. Chaltry’s poor attempt to make things right and informed him that I wanted to drop the package I had purchased and requested the lowest possible rate for the one night that we would now be staying. Mr. Chaltry agreed to drop the rate.

So we decided to go to Blackwolf Run and eat at the bar (we didn’t feel like we had the proper attire to eat in the restaurant since we were just passing through). My wife and I ordered the Pulled Pork Nachos, Spicy Chicken Wings and we each got the Blackwolf Run Burger. Since the restaurant received the Wine Spectator magazine’s Award of Excellence, we were expecting great food, even though we were dining in the bar (same kitchen, same food right?). The nacho dish was cold and tasted like canned salsa had been poured over it (I’ve actually had better canned salsa). The pulled pork was fair at best. The wings however were really good. The burgers, well they were just bad. The meat was mushy and flavorless, enough said. However, the portions were huge; we ate half of the burgers and half of the nachos. Or, maybe we just ate half because it wasn’t good. I’ve had better burgers at Wendy’s! Service was not good either. The bartender was absent about 90% of the time we were seated in the bar. Did I mention we were the only people in the bar! One would think service would be great!

So the following morning I went to check out. The receptionist was clueless as to anything that had occurred. When she told me my total I informed her of my conversation with Mr. Chaltry. According to the receptionist, at no time did Mr. Chaltry make note of any change to my reservation. The receptionist was very courteous and did lower my one night rate. Overall, I’m not sure how this place is rated so high. I would save my money and stay elsewhere. I was prepared to spend about $1400 in two days and they seemed to care less. Maybe that isn’t a lot to some who stay there, but to me that is about $1300 more than it would have been worth. And, judging by how few people were there during our stay, maybe it is because of experiences like these. Thanks American Club for making our anniversary memorable!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel G
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Daniel G,

Upon reading your review, I am not sure my response can properly convey my deepest and heartfelt apology. Your 11th anniversary should be something you look back upon with fond memories and our incorrect communication of our spa renovations started and ended your stay unacceptably. I will not to try make any explanations for your experience, but simply tell you how sorry I am.

I am pleased to share the spa renovation is fully complete as well as the Horse and Plow. The Carriage House reopens this Friday April 26th, with the new entrance the only thing remaining under construction until May 24th.

If you would ever find it in your heart to return, I would be honored to personally ensure we erase your 11th anniversary memory.

With Humble Regrets,

Reviewed April 6, 2013

This beautiful hotel continues to offer classic Midwestern hospitably which has not been comprised during current renovations. Several older hotels have chosen to reinvent themselves by doing modern renovations that comprise their architecture leaving disappointing results. While The American Club has added some modern elements to the hotel (like updated lighting fixtures) they have chosen to stay true to the style of the hotel’s architecture which we really appreciated. Don’t get me wrong we enjoy a well executed new modern hotel we just hate to see this new cookie cutter trend. That said the service and amenities have continued to be excellent. The spa has some really nice improvements like a much better steam room and a new sauna. What I loved during our much needed get away was the room’s blackout drapes. Believe me not all blackout drapes are created equal. The room remained dark even though it was a sunny day which made sleeping in a breeze. We stayed in a superior room with a whirlpool bathtub and shower that was wonderful, well worth the extra money. This is a hotel that we will return to again and again, if for nothing else a really good night’s sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear hate2go,

We are so pleased to read about your recent visit and impression of our renovation. Your summary of our renovation is truly spot on to the goals we set. After the renovation the superior category is my personal favorite, although I like them all. I enjoy the tub filler that flows from the ceiling, creating an element of surprise. I hope you felt the same.

And a good night’s sleep is the most important element of a wonderful hotel stay.

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We went to the American Club for our anniversary weekend. We had a fabulous time. Our superior room was great, and the bathroom was amazing. Dinner at the Immigrant Room was top notch, and the service there was excellent. We spent half a day at the spa; the staff at the spa went out of their way to accommodate us. The spa facilities and services were awesome. We would love to visit the American Club again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 11246SSChicago
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear 11246SSChicago,

Thank you for selecting The American Club to celebrate your anniversary weekend. It is wonderful to learn that you had a lovely visit and celebration. Wishing you many more years of wonderful anniversaries.

Christine loose

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I think our experience suffered from too much hype.
My husband and I wanted a really wonderful getaway to relax and only had 3 nights. So we decided to really splurge and maximize our time to lounge. Overall it was fine. Ultimately, just not our vibe. The dark, rich, almost stuffy, grandness was just not relaxing to us .. just kept feeling like we should have brought our polo gear. If you like that sort of thing, you would probably enjoy it. We read the other reviews and took the advice to get an upgraded room. At first I was a little disappointed in the room - it is very dark and not that big - I came to think the room was fine -- bed was GREAT and the bathroom terrific -- but again, dark and stuffy... like a scotch and cigar was always in order. And again if I liked scotch or cigars... would have probably loved this...But it was expensive and not altogether that special. But if we had gotten the regular room I would have been really unhappy to be in a lesser room, It wouldn't have felt special at all I fear. And it wasn't that the property wasn't beautiful - it was and the staff wasn't kind - they were -- But again I think it was a vibe thing. It most obvious in this way-- It was interesting to watch people who are paid to be exceptionally nice. Some where really good at making me believe that I deserved all the attention and others just looked like they knew better than to be ANYTHING BUT OVERWHELMINGLY ACCOMMODATING or somebody was going to yell at them. That is a bit painful to be aware of... although on more than one occasion I did hear an irate patron letting some poor bellhop have it... I guess I prefer to be under the illusion that we are just being kind because that is what we should do and being accommodating and knowledgeable is just the norm and so is making the occasional mistake -- poor bellhop.
We really enjoyed the Greenhouse for coffee in the morning (get in early cuz it gets busy) and thoroughly LOVED the Winery Bar for drinks which was beautiful, unique, romantic and friendly. Although we ended up driving about 5 miles away to eat. We went to a couple fantastic restaurants in Sheboygan (now don't judge-- cuz that is what they did at the concierge desk) as we cancelled our IMMIGRANT reservations and went to STEPHANOs -- Fabulous service, atmosphere lovely and beautiful authentic Italian food and wine. If you are in Kohler and want an alternative to the hotel offerings check it out.
Most importantly- THE WATER SPA was TERRIFIC and well worth the expense! Comfortable, extremely relaxing and luxurious without being stuffy. Loved the bright and sunny roof top lounge area. Had several services and happy with all of them..Really loved the women's sauna/steam and cold plunge -- wonderful. My first complete spa experience and look forward to another special occasion to splurge again.I would return to the WATER SPA for sure.
Perhaps I would stay at the SPA itself - they have rooms above it that were unavailable due to construction. Maybe next time?
All in all it was a nice weekend but really wanted it to be SPECTACULAR.... not quite. If I could give it 3 and & half stars I would.But not 4.. Not for the cost.

Room Tip: if you like dark rooms... you will be happy. if you want light during the days.. check out the othe...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank springgreen

Dear Springgreen,

I am very pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the spa, it is a wonderful spa and the rooftop lounge is my personal area as well. I hope one of your services was a massage, our technicians have magic hands.

I appreciate your impression on the overall décor, and understand our guests have different tastes and preferences. We have been renovating the entire hotel over the past four years, with the renovation you mentioned at the Carriage House being our final phase. As a property listed on the National Register of Historic places, we are committed to upholding the heritage of The American Club. The Kohler family is from Austria, so the rich, dark color schemes you experienced represent a specific time and place. With any renovation, we take the risk that the style will not always suit each guest.

We do have a third hotel at our resort - The Inn on Woodlake. This is a more contemporary experience and décor; something you might consider exploring for a return visit. It is much more modern, bright and open. As our Three Diamond property the services offered at the Inn on Woodlake are different, however, you still have access to all the amenities of the resort, like The American Club.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We've stayed at The American Club two times and have another trip planned. The first stay was nice and met our expectations although we thought it to be over priced.
The second stay, they "upgraded" our room unbeknownst to us and the four of us ended up in a one bed suite! They gave us a rollaway bed (at no extra charge) without linens. We called twice for linens which were never delivered to out room so two of us slept on a bare mattress.
We are staying yet again in hopes of improvement. I booked a maternity massage (in secret and informed the guest services of this as we have not revealed the pregnancy yet). Well, they sent a confirmation email of all spa services to my friend who now found out through the Kohler Club customer service that I am pregnant! Unfortunately I have gift cards to use so will be staying this last time. Rest assured I will never give them my business or company business again. Not only disappointed but extremely hurt.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Spalove100

Dear Spalove100,

I am so deeply sorry that our confirmation email was sent inappropriately and made your exciting, but private, news public. That was a mistake on our behalf, and for this I truly hope you will accept my apology. Pregnancy is such a joyous time, to know that we interfered with your opportunity to deliver the news on your terms saddens me greatly.

I wish I could turn back the hands of time and prevent this from happening. Although it will not change your experience, we have identified the error with the confirmation email system and fixed it for the future.

I’m confident we can deliver the level of service you deserve on your upcoming visit, but also respect how your past experience was disappointing and understand your decision if you choose not to return. I wish you the best of luck in the future and a healthy and joyous pregnancy and birth.

With the warmest of regards,
Christine Loose

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Econo Lodge Sheboygan
Econo Lodge Sheboygan
#8 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!