“Excellent!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Excellent!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The American Club is a historic property that maintains its sense of history while providing modern amenities in an elegant environment. The sleeping rooms have been recently updated and are beautiful - the bathrooms are outstanding. The employees are very friendly. We dined in the Wisconsin Room (excellent) and had a nice lunch in "Craverie" (French Bistro style restaurant and chocolate shop) which is operated by the American Club in the nearby Woodlake shopping center. There we had a sandwich with a glass of wine by the fireplace and had a good view of children ice skating on the frozen pond. We stayed just one night while celebrating our wedding anniversary. We received complementary cold champagne delivered to our room with in an ice bucket with 2 flutes, which was a total surprise. We have been here before and plan to return many times.

Room Tip: We like the West wing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Steve C,

We are so honored that you selected The American Club to celebrate your anniversary. It was a pleasure to read how well the team treated you and how much you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking your time to post your experience. We hope you return for many more anniversaries and special occasions and promise to make all of them as special.

Christine Loose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I found the American Club pleasant enough, but a stay there with meals and spa services can get very pricey very quickly. I don't think the level of service matches the price--especially because of the lack of attention to detail. For example, when we checked in, nobody walked us through what the features of our stay would be (for example, the coupons for children's meals, which were included, were packed in envelopes in bags for the children--of course we assumed the meals were covered, and someone really should have given the coupons to the parents! We discovered them too late to use many of them...). Also, when we checked out we found that not one but TWO MEALS WE DIDN"T HAVE at restaurants where we never set foot had been inadvertently charged to our account!!! Anyone who was attentive to details would have seen that we couldn't have eaten at two restaurants at the same time. But whenever I asked a question or when I pointed this out, all I got were plastic smiles and polite responses without much depth--as if all employees are trained to be nice, rather than to actually solve problems. In addition--and this is just a matter of bad luck--the Horse and Plow is closed for several months for renovation. But NOTHING was done to help make up for this in terms of securing alternative reservations at comparable restaurants/prices! Oh, and getting reservations for meals? Apparently you're meant to do this a month in advance....everything was apparently booked! (But not full when we got there, as others have mentioned.) We made do with the Wisconsin Room--conventional and super pricey. I like the reviewer who describes it as the sort of place where you would attend a wedding reception--except that you feel as if you're at one where you don't know anyone!! I had two spa treatments--water treatment and a facial--and they were fine but the Saturday two-treatment minimum plus a 20% surcharge is highway robbery.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CS2752
Dear CS2752

Please accept my sincere and heartfelt apology. On behalf of the entire team, we are truly sorry for recent stay and the poor experience we provided you. Upon your departure I did speak with many team members about your experience. While I cannot go back and improve your experience I do want you to know we took immediate action upon your departure.

We have changed the presentation methods of our Kohler Kidz meal vouchers. They are now going directly to the parents with a detailed explanation. We identified both associates who erroneously charged the two meals to your room. Both have been retrained. In addition we did a retraining of the entire team to be sure everyone was well versed on the proper process for verifying the room number before sending the charge through.

In addition, we have provided your feedback on offering similarly priced dining options to our concierge and front desk teams. While we want our guests to enjoy our restaurants, we also want to be sure we are meeting guests’ needs and expectations.

I truly wish I could rewind the clock and have put these changes in place before your arrival. Thank you for taking the time to speak with our manager during your stay and allowing us the opportunity to receive your gift of feedback.

chicago
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The American Club is not a 5 Star property. I have traveled extensively and stayed at many 5 Star Properties over the years and this property isn't even close. Keep in mind, THIS IS NOT A RESORT

My wife and I have lived in Chicago for the last 6 years and finally decided to take the 2 hour drive to Kohler for Valentine's Day weekend. I was able to secure a package through American Express Platinum which included breakfast and a $100 dining credit, and I stll believe the resort cost twice as much as it should. Now the specifics...

The check in process was overly detailed and cumbersome. The hotel is uniquie in design as it was adapted from a living quarters built over a hundred years ago, and while the lady that checked us in tried to explain where to go to get where, life would have been much easier for the both of us including her if we received a map. We tried to make reservations for brunch Sunday morning during check-in, but we were told it was solidly booked, except when we did stay a little longer at breakfast the next morning - more half of the restaurant was empty for brunch. The champagne we were offered at check-in was a nice treat, but I would have preferred to drink it from a flute instead of a glass coffee mug that looked like it was taken from Denny's.

The room was nice, but certainly not impressive. The bathroom was a work of art as one would expect since the property is own by Kohler. We settled in and decided to head out for the afternoon and take advantage of the activities we read about on the website, but what a snore. We walked over to the Kohler Desgin center, which is nice if you're looking for bathroom fixtures or ideas, but this is a bathroom showroom. After killing a half hour there, we decided to take the shuttle to the Shops of Woodlake and do some shopping. There's nothing here of any interest, and we would have rather been taking a nap instead of walking around. At least there was a market and we bought a bottle of wine and headed back to the hotel where we sat in the bar area and drank our wine. Later we went to dinner, which was fine, very limited menu in the Wisonsin Room, and just a horrible atmosphere. This restaurnat feels like you're at a wedding banquet room except that you don't know anyone at the wedding.

We had a late checkout at 4pm thanks to the American Express Platinum package, but my wife and I ran out of there at 9am. All this, which included my free breakfast and $100 dining credit still cost $560. I have no problem spending this kind of money for a great property, but this is not even close. I am from the midwest and the property keeps reminding travelers they are the only 5 star resort in the midwest. I can recommend a lot of other properties in the midwest that are nicer.

4 Thank sandmeister11
Dear sandmeister11,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay. I do believe feedback is a gift and strive very hard to make improvements as a result.
I am very sorry for your overall experience during your stay. It’s unfortunate to hear your arrival was less than welcoming. I work very hard with our front desk team, training them that they own the first impression with our guests. If we fail to make a positive first impression, we miss the opportunity to warmly welcome our guests and set a positive tone for great things to come. In addition, I am horrified to read how we served you the welcome glass of champagne. We should never run out of champagne glasses, unacceptable.
The resort does have a different feel during the winter months and summer months. During the summer as the weather warms up we have many more outdoor activities, golf (of course), horseback riding, trap shooting, fishing and our lovely beach at the Sports Core health club all guests have access to are just a start. All year long we do have our spa open as well.
If you would ever consider returning, it would be my pleasure to have you reach out to me directly at the resort. I would work closely with our concierge team to put together a wonderful stay filled with activities that you would enjoy. (920 457-8000)
Again, please accept my apology and my gratitude for this feedback.
Waukesha
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The staff at the American Club really do go above and beyond to make you feel special. We spent a Thursday night, Friday spa day and check out on Saturday. Our room was wonderful, clean, comfortable bed, great toiletries and of course the shower was awesome. Thursday night we went to the Winery Bar for beverages and appetizers. The staff was knowledgeable and personable. The bartender introduced me to my new favorite wine. Thursday night we ate at Cucina, which was fantastic and reasonably priced. We spent the entire day Friday at the spa, beginning with massages. The massage therapist Carrie was absolutely amazing. The spa techs hustled all day to keep the spa tidy. We had a full body exfoliation which was nice and then last minute pedicures. The pedicure tech that performed my service was Lisa and she was fantastic. The tech that performed my husband's pedicure seemed like she didn't want to be there. Since we were getting our pedicures next to each other, the difference in service was very noticeable. Friday night we went back to the Winery Bar, totally different staff and different experience. The staff was more intrigued with their own conversation than with assisting patrons. We sat at the bar, so our service wasn't too bad. Other patrons who were sitting at tables had to come up to the bar to request service after sitting for an extended period with no attention paid to them. Friday night we ate at The Wisconsin Room, in great anticipation of the seafood buffet. We both love seafood and raw bars and were greatly disappointed by the buffet. I don't know if they had an off night, but the buffet did not look at all like the pictures and the seafood that was offered was not top quality. I know, buffet -what was I expecting? Anyway, we capped off the night purchasing some Kohler made chocolates at the Emporium. Stephanie was wonderful in assisting us in our purchase and sent a couple of mini bottles of sparkling to our room for us to enjoy with the chocolates.
Overall, it was a very nice get away and we will go back. The service provided by a majority of the American Club and Kohler Waters staff was outstanding and made up for the staff that was lackluster.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We purchased a package over Valentines Day (week days). This hotel was overpriced but I heard wonderful things so my expectations were high.

The first impression was snooty front desk agent. We laughed it off, but then getting to our room was another disappointment. The standard room was the size of a large closet (no exaggeration). Immediately I noticed VERY loud buzzing and clanking sounds coming from the closet. I notified the front desk at once in hopes to change rooms. The front desk tried to act as if was the first they've heard this complaint. They are also bad actors. This bothered me since they took my money knowing they had a problem the room. Whats worse is they attempted to put me in another loud room. After calling and calling we were finally moved to a deluxe room which was a normal size for a standard in the midwest, small town of U.S. This wasted our time and was annoying.
Pub was closed down for renovation dessert shop, closed.

The Italian Restaurant was off site and although the staff was nice, the food was terrible!
Chocolate shop closed at 6 which meant we couldn't try it for dessert.
The Immigrant restaurant was over priced and good, but not worth the price of $250 for a basic meal without a bottle of wine. We had asked to move our reservation from 7pm to 7:30 and were denied. When we walked into the restaurant, it wasn't even halfway filled. More empty tables than not.

The wine bar had a great wine and cheese selection. The spa was very nice.

THE WORST departing breakfast wasn't because of the food; it tasted good but there was a METAL WIRE in my husbands omelet!!! He almost swallowed this 2" long piece of sharp metal!

We notified the staff and they apologized and took his omelet off the bill, but not any other portion of the meal. This didn't satisfy us because breakfast was included in our package. We also mentioned this as we hurried to check out, again apologies, no discount.
We will never return.

3 Thank Robin B
Dear Robin B,
I have so much to apologize after reading your feedback. I was able to research your stay and not only am I sincerely sorry for the experience you received, but we did not do our best to recover from the mechanical failure in your room. Another unacceptable miss was our team did not properly communicate that your entire meal from breakfast was removed from your bill, not just the omelet. I would expect nothing less from our team, than a full credit. In addition, I have identified the team member who handled your arrival as a coachable moment. Our team should be demonstrating warm friendly service and nothing less is acceptable.
If there was any way possible for our resort to go back and redo your entire experience, I would. Please know that your feedback was greatly appreciated, and immediate action was taken.
Thank you so much for this gift.
Williams Bay, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Have stayed at the carriage house many times. Service is great, appetizer / cocktails daily is a nice touch. Water spa is wonderful, never have to get out of your robe all day. Had one issue on a very windy winter weekend, our room was on the top floor and something on the roof was making noise all night, sounded like a basketball being dribbled. Next day they gave us a different room which also was an upgrade, no questions asked.

I would recommend dinner at River Wildlife if you can, shuttle from the hotel.

A great place to spend a weekend relaxing.

Room Tip: All rooms are different, smaller rooms have funky layouts (angled ceilings, bathrooms down long hall...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jim L,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback from your stay. The Carriage House is a special place and it always makes me smile to see our guests in their robes all day long, enjoying a relaxing visit.
I am excited to share the Carriage House is under renovation. Not only are we renovating the guest rooms and lobby, but we have installed a brand new roof. We used guest feedback to insure we are addressing any and all mechanical issues with our renovation.
I am very pleased to see that our team took immediate actions and moved you to an upgraded room. While we work hard to insure no guest issues occur, it is even more important that the team take excellent care of our guests when they do.
I hope you are able to return after the renovation, I would love to hear your feedback on the changes.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This was our second stay at the American Club. We stayed once before in 2010. I think Kohler is a special place and the staff works hard to keep it that way. The hotel, room, spa, etc. were all fantastic... I do think they can make some improvements at their restaurants. In the future I won't eat exclusively at the American Club and try other places in the area.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank alwaysevol000
Dear Alwaysevol000,
What a true pleasure to read about your recent visit to The American Club resort. I am so happy to hear that our team made your experience special. I love feedback and use it to take corrective action and drive guest improvement. When you return, I would enjoy meeting you and learning more about your feedback regarding our restaurants.
We do look forward to your return.
Christine Loose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!