“Relax and rejuvenate”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Relax and rejuvenate”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is one of the most beautiful, serene locations in the Midwest! Here on a girl's spa weekend. The spa is a place you will want to spend your entire day relaxing after your treatment. The food in all of the American Club restaurants is excellent. This is the third time I have been here and I definitely plan to come back with my husband!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Wisconsin
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have had the opportunity to stay at the carriage house 2 times within the American Club Resort. The experience is heavenly. I love the stay in your robe all weekend spa mentality. At first I thought it would be odd to be in a robe around people I didn't know, but it's funny how easily you can get used to it. The spa services were so great as well. We also loved the wine and cheese hour before we left for dinner. The only thing that I thought was odd (this was a few years ago, not sure how it is now) is that the rooms were pretty dated. The wallpaper was a dark green floral and made the room feel small. I don't know if they have updated the interior, but it was odd to go from a great spa experience to a dated room that screamed themes from the 80s. Looking at other people's pictures on Trip Advisor, it doesn't look like they have changed the rooms, but I could be wrong. We also did the events they offered; we went in the winter so we did some dog sleds which was fun. I love all the options they have for their guests of different things to do at the resort. If I get to go back there, I would be thrilled.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without dark green wallpaper, if they still have that color
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were there for two nights after Christmas. What a treat. They must have a state-of-the-art training and quality assurance for their staff. Everyone, and I mean everyone, seemed genuinely delighted that we were there. We were greeted by name in the Immigrant Room (fantastic restaurant), our maid was wonderful and the club.. Well the club is a treat among treats. Relaxing, elegant, with the advantage of having perfect bathrooms!

Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have done business in the plumbing industry for over 40 years and have had various opportunities to stay at the American Club while at meetings with the Herb and David Kohler family. Now retired, last year we visited the AC for the first time with my wife and another couple. As always the AC once again delivered an exceptional experience. Our guest were truely impressed with the very personal and friendly service of the staff and the excellence of the food. The Sunday Brunch is not to be missed, but do make reservation when you make your room reservations as it is always the most popular event at the AC.

Take time to visit the resturant at Black Wolf Run in the late morning for a tremendous Bloody Mary and a brillant view of the golf course, especially in winter with the deer roaming across the fairways.

Ask the staff for directions to an off the beat Friday Fish Fry resturant about 30 minutes away in a small town that is so much fun and offers exceptional fish and prime rib! Everyone one uses a funny name to be called for your table reservation! Leave time to sit at the bar and enjoy the local friendship of the people!

Do not miss the shops near the sports core and the AC shuttle will take you over their. These are exceptional with unique purchasing opportunniities at very reasonable prices! Also there is a super little cigar store that offers a great cocktail and cigar experience.

The last highlight to be experienced is the antique shopping throughout the area and the hotel staff will give your very detailed directions. The lady that was the concierge while we were their was absolutely fanyastic!

So we have already planned our return for this February 13' to celebrate my wifes special birthday, no years allowed and are looking forward to another exceptional experience!

Tom Hudock

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear tom_h:

Allow me to introduce myself; I am Christine Loose, the General Manager of The American Club resort. I would like to thank you very much for staying with us and submitting this review on TripAdvisor. It was such a pleasure to read about your experience in Kohler and learn that you were able to enjoy it for the first time with loved ones after years of business travel to our property. It seems like you and your guests thoroughly enjoyed your time on-site and truly were able to experience a lot of what the Village of Kohler and surrounding area has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back in February!

Warmest regards,
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed December 27, 2012

When we first came to the American Club on Jan 2011, we were a very overwhelmed by it. We had never been to a 5 star resort before, and felt a bit "unworthy" by the whole experience (and wrote a review on here that said as much). It just seemed stuffy and a bit overdone for a childless couple in their 30's.

Somehow though, the memory stayed with us, and we went back to celebrate our 2012 Christmas in the resort. From the first moment walking in, we felt like we were prepared and ready to enjoy the hotel for what it is. The bell staff was incredible (esp Ross), we were taken to our room by the gal who checked us in, and Arika, the girl who came to do our turn down service was a delight and so sweet. This was all just our first night!

Now to be fair, we did say we were using the visit to belatedly celebrate our 5th anniversary. Everyone we encountered along our stay told us "happy anniversary" and brought us some kind of token of congrats. While I don't think this was the only reason we received such top service, it still made us feel very special and might have contributed to our new experience. Anything we asked for was given to us, and any request was quickly taken care of with a polite "of course." You're paying top dollar for quality here, and the American Inn will not disappoint in this respect.

On the negative side, one of our original complaints from 2011 still stand. The Horse and Plow is STILL having an issue with service/food quality. We visited twice during on this trip. The first time our meal came late, and was explained that my burger had been overcooked and they wanted to re-do it. Seemed like a great gesture, but the burger was completely underdone now, and my wife's sandwich had been sitting under a heat lamp and dried out in the process (making the bread hard as a rock and inedible). The waitress was very good about it, but it was a bit of an unpleasant experience for both of us. The second time we went (because everything else was closed Christmas Day) we both ordered the burger. This time BOTH came out underdone. My wife and I love a good medium rare burger, and this was flat out raw in the middle. The taste was still good and the meat high quality, but we couldn't finish either burger because of this.

Our other note would be if you are a young couple who isn't used to 5 star quality, don't come here. The American Club is all about service, and will make you feel like you're staying in Downton Abbey. If you're not prepared for this treatment, it just isn't going to be enjoyable to you if you prefer more energy, entertainment, and an updated more contemporary vibe in your vacations. It threw us off in 2011, and only now in a return visit were we able to relax and let things truly soak in since we were expecting it.

Room Tip: This hotel is a bit dimly lit, and the architecture will appeal to fans of art deco and classic mans...
1 Thank djneko
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear djnkeo:

I am so delighted to hear you returned to The American Club during the holidays. The holiday season is a special time at the resort and one of my personal favorite times of the year. I am pleased to hear the entire team wished you a happy anniversary and made this occasion extra special for you and your wife. We are truly honored that you selected our property to celebrate your 5th anniversary.

Please know that the feedback you provided in this review, regarding your experience at The Horse & Plow, will be taken to heart and shared with the team. I am excited to share with you that on Monday, February 4, The Horse & Plow begins a refurbishment project. During the seven-week shutdown, the team will be focusing on improving service standards and food quality. They are working hard on some menu enhancements, producing consistent food quality and providing outstanding, memorable experience for our guests. I do hope that during your next visit you try The Horse & Plow again, and please let us know if we have improved.

We truly look forward to your return and I hope you have a wonderful year.

Best wishes,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is the 3rd time we've stayed at American Club and there definitely has been a slip in services. Everyone is still friendly and will smilingly tell you, "Sure no problem" ... and then it may or may not get done.

We stayed at Woodlake Inn this time over the Christmas holiday and staffing seemed to be short. We had to ask for fresh towels the 2nd day and for trash cans to be emptied. The mattress was extremely hard (to me anyway) and the second day I asked for a mattress topper to be brought up if possible. "Sure no problem". Never materialized. No worries, a massage helped.

When I booked the Ah-Shiatsu massage I specifically asked for Jennifer (tall blondish-brown quiet girl), who is the creme de la creme of Shiatsu massage therapists! She can fix anything in one treatment. I was surprised to find that I was scheduled with JENN, not Jennifer. She was just "ok" - definitely not a Jennifer! Jenn rushed thru the treatment and seemed stressed out. I later asked another therapist if Jennifer still was with American Club and was assured she was. So why the Switch-a-roo on American Club's part when booking me?

The Horse and Plow also left something to be desired and definitely not up to past experiences. The Reuben was full of tough thick cut pastrami, and the bread was cold. Cole slaw on it, instead of kraut. Skimpy portion of fries. The menu advertised "$5 Happy Hour appetizer special". Then we were charged full price - and told the $5 appetizers did not include the ones we ordered. Hmm... no mention on the menu of WHICH ones were tho. No biggie, the shrimp cocktail was good anyway.

Woodlake Inn has a hot buffet breakfast but ppl showed up in pj pants, old sweatshirts, socks/no shoes, gym clothes ... kinda unappetizing since it was assumed they had just rolled out of bed unwashed. Maybe a dress code could be mentioned!

The a/c-heater unit is digitally programmable and relatively quiet, the RainTile showers nice, the Frette towels soft, the room clean, quiet, and well-maintained, plenty of space in the bathroom and early check-in was granted to us. Overall a relaxing and fun stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Teri_G:

Allow me to introduce myself; I am Christine Loose, the General Manager of The American Club and the Inn on Woodlake. First of all, I would like to thank you for staying with us again and for providing us with this valuable feedback from your recent stay at the Inn on Woodlake.
After reading your review, I would like to apologize that your past experience at the Inn left much to be desired in regards to the staff following through on requests. Our guests should always receive prompt follow through on all requestions and I cannot apologize enough for these unacceptable misses. The feedback regarding your experiences with our central reservations team, spa technicians, housekeeping and dining has been taken to heart and shared with those various areas. I believe feedback is a gift and put it to good use. Our management teams leading those areas will be addressing with the staff to ensure that we learn from this feedback and get better at creating consistent standards across all of our Kohler hospitality properties.
Aside from the areas of opportunity you listed, I am pleased to hear that overall you had a fun and relaxing stay with us. We do hope you return in the future so we can right this recent, inconsistent experience.

All the best,
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is the first year that my husband decided to enjoy our family alone for Christmas without the hustle and bustle of big family gatherings! Our adult children and my husband and I booked three rooms for three nights checking out on Christmas morning. Everything was world class and five star! As Chicago bears fans, the horse & plow restaurant and bar embraced our enthusiasm for Sunday bears football and not packers football. We did miss dinner at the immigrant room as it was closed. The Sunday brunch was as good as the Sunday brunch at the oak room at the plaza in New York. Sports core and spa treatments were fabulous! Our family spent three fabulous nights together working out, dining, and shopping!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Mar7411
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
Victorian Village Resort
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!