“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #3 of 3 Kewaunee B&B and Inns
Maple Grove, Minnesota
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We just returned from our road trip to Door County and returned via Kewaunee yesterday. What a wonderful hotel, Décor is A +- the staff friendly and personable. They were truly a "Pet Friendly" Hotel and welcomed my two little dogs. We were able to sit on the historic porch and have a wonderful pancake/egg breakfast in the morning. Everyone treated us like they truly were happy we were staying there and what could they do to make our stay better...Highly recommend !!!
As a side note- this is a relaxing retreat- in October there was not much too see or do in town- as I believe it is the end of the "season" - Shops were closed.

Room Tip: I hear the corner rooms are larger-we didn't have such a room, but felt very comfortable. The In...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Baraboo, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is quite the jem of a hotel! We wondered into it, not knowing what to expect, and boy were we surprised!! Great décor, great staff, great experience! We got the 'premiere' room, and woke up to the most beautiful sunrise over lake Michigan! Great breakfast, comfy beds. Could not have been more happy. I highly recommend this to anyone!

Room Tip: Go for the premiere!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was several years ago, but still worth reviewing. I arrived in the middle of a blizzard at almost midnight. Keys to the front door were left in the safe by the front lobby door and I was told to take any room I wanted when I got there. Up the stairs, first door on the left.. Climbed into bed and turned off the light.
It wasn't long before I started to hear children's voices in the hallway along with little feet scooting across the floor. After about an hour , I finally got up to see who would let their kids be out at that time. I opened the door and no one was there and the voices and footsteps stopped. Hmmm, strange but I'm going back to bed. I woke up and found my way into the dining room for some coffee. After breakfast, I cleaned up and prepared to check out. When asked how my stay was, I mentioned the children's voices and footsteps in the hall at 3am. The lady behind the desk acted like this happens all the time and made me aware of the history of the Inn. Then she tells me I'm the only guest staying at the hotel. I still get chills thinking about what how vivid the sounds were that I had heard the night before. After my morning meeting, I went back to the Inn for lunch to find out more about the history.
All I will say is you can choose to believe or not about the "house guests".
When I stayed there, it was per-'07 Ecocrash and the place was nice. Hopefully, it is still a place that can continue because it wouldn't be right to leave "them" there by themselves. I'm told they are like Casper, the friendly type..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dave S
Greenville, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel that is not your "normal" hotel. The building is rich in history from the architecture, the furnishings and overall ambiance of the building.
Are there ghosts? Possibly, but all old buildings have noises that could be explained away. Even if there are, the records will show from past guests that they are very friendly, playful guests who just want everyone to know that they once existed. Not once did I feel scared or uncomfortable in the building.
The service was above and beyond and I would HIGHLY recommend this as a must go to place for anyone who wants to find someplace out of the norm to get away for a night or a week.
There are new owners who seem very nice and want to make The Kewaunee Inn something that the people of the area will want to visit as well as anyone who might be traveling from Chicago, Milwaukee area up to Door County.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed four nights as part of a combined college friend reunion and writing getaway. I was fortunate to get the big corner room on the second floor. It was large and ended up being a get place for us to meet before going out for dinner. I was very impressed with the inn and the service.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SJA0831
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel is 100 years + and should be appreciated for that, ghosts and all. The rooms are huge, the plumbing modern yet it still maintains that authentic historic feel and décor. If you want new, don't stay here. If you want an unique experience with possible paranormal extras thrown in this is the place. Also, you must have a drink the bar to soak up the ambiance!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank birdie6464
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family stayed at the Kewaunee Inn for three nights to celebrate my 70th birthday and our grandson's tenth. This was a super hit with all three generations. The boys (8 and 10) found it an adventure and appreciated the big screen TV in the lobby. It was a welcome break from the usual hotel with a pool. We visited several places in Door County and tried many new things such as a fish boil and picking cherries.
The new owner is only six weeks into it, but he is passionate about maintaining its character and having it clean and comfortable. The wooden floors in our room creaked, but that is part of its charm.
Very friendly and accommodating staff.

Room Tip: No elevator--stairs to both floors. On the shores of Lake Michigan (two block walk).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Karen P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kewaunee
Lighthouse Inn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kewaunee
at the Waters Edge
at the Waters Edge
#2 of 3 in Algoma

Been to Karsten Hotel? Share your experiences!