“Kids running in the hall at 3am?”
Review of Karsten Hotel

Karsten Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Kewaunee B&B and Inns
Fountain Valley, California
“Kids running in the hall at 3am?”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was several years ago, but still worth reviewing. I arrived in the middle of a blizzard at almost midnight. Keys to the front door were left in the safe by the front lobby door and I was told to take any room I wanted when I got there. Up the stairs, first door on the left.. Climbed into bed and turned off the light.
It wasn't long before I started to hear children's voices in the hallway along with little feet scooting across the floor. After about an hour , I finally got up to see who would let their kids be out at that time. I opened the door and no one was there and the voices and footsteps stopped. Hmmm, strange but I'm going back to bed. I woke up and found my way into the dining room for some coffee. After breakfast, I cleaned up and prepared to check out. When asked how my stay was, I mentioned the children's voices and footsteps in the hall at 3am. The lady behind the desk acted like this happens all the time and made me aware of the history of the Inn. Then she tells me I'm the only guest staying at the hotel. I still get chills thinking about what how vivid the sounds were that I had heard the night before. After my morning meeting, I went back to the Inn for lunch to find out more about the history.
All I will say is you can choose to believe or not about the "house guests".
When I stayed there, it was per-'07 Ecocrash and the place was nice. Hopefully, it is still a place that can continue because it wouldn't be right to leave "them" there by themselves. I'm told they are like Casper, the friendly type..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dave S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Greenville, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel that is not your "normal" hotel. The building is rich in history from the architecture, the furnishings and overall ambiance of the building.
Are there ghosts? Possibly, but all old buildings have noises that could be explained away. Even if there are, the records will show from past guests that they are very friendly, playful guests who just want everyone to know that they once existed. Not once did I feel scared or uncomfortable in the building.
The service was above and beyond and I would HIGHLY recommend this as a must go to place for anyone who wants to find someplace out of the norm to get away for a night or a week.
There are new owners who seem very nice and want to make The Kewaunee Inn something that the people of the area will want to visit as well as anyone who might be traveling from Chicago, Milwaukee area up to Door County.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed four nights as part of a combined college friend reunion and writing getaway. I was fortunate to get the big corner room on the second floor. It was large and ended up being a get place for us to meet before going out for dinner. I was very impressed with the inn and the service.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SJA0831
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel is 100 years + and should be appreciated for that, ghosts and all. The rooms are huge, the plumbing modern yet it still maintains that authentic historic feel and décor. If you want new, don't stay here. If you want an unique experience with possible paranormal extras thrown in this is the place. Also, you must have a drink the bar to soak up the ambiance!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank birdie6464
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family stayed at the Kewaunee Inn for three nights to celebrate my 70th birthday and our grandson's tenth. This was a super hit with all three generations. The boys (8 and 10) found it an adventure and appreciated the big screen TV in the lobby. It was a welcome break from the usual hotel with a pool. We visited several places in Door County and tried many new things such as a fish boil and picking cherries.
The new owner is only six weeks into it, but he is passionate about maintaining its character and having it clean and comfortable. The wooden floors in our room creaked, but that is part of its charm.
Very friendly and accommodating staff.

Room Tip: No elevator--stairs to both floors. On the shores of Lake Michigan (two block walk).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Karen P
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel is in good shape. The bar is now open and so is the restaurant. The room we had was a corner room and was spacious. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The bartender Matt was very nice and the Owner Dave was a great host. He even took us for ride in his grand new limo! We stayed only one night on our way up to door county. The hotel is old but full of charm. I am sure the next time we are in the area, we will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jubutld
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Loved staying at the Kewaunee Inn. Brought back many memories. Staff couldn't have been more kind and helpful. Hope to return soon. Good luck and best wishes to new owners. They know the secret of good service.
Nada Graves

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NadaG662
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kewaunee
Lighthouse Inn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Algoma
Village Inn on the Lake
Village Inn on the Lake
#2 of 4 in Two Rivers

Been to Karsten Hotel? Share your experiences!