“Delicious German Cuisine with attentive service”
Review of House of Gerhard

House of Gerhard
Ranked #6 of 250 Restaurants in Kenosha
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Wonderful German cuisine in a charming restaurant. Well priced and attentively served, it's one of our favorite places to go for a special occasion.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

For the most part, their German food is exceptional. I have had some "sub" par beef entrees more than one would be expected at a quality restaurant such as Gerhards'. Excellent bar and bartenders ! Fish entrees are also great. Table service could not be any better with friendly staff.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is really cute when you walk in. You immediately see the bar and it's a place you want to drink at. It's dark and mysterious and is the perfect place to relax. The restaurant has been around since 1966 and is a favorite with the locals. There was a very decent lunch crowd in here considering it was only 10 degrees outside.

Our waitress was very nice but I don't think we really connected with her. I think she was nervous because we weren't regulars and we had no idea what we were doing. So that kind of threw her off.

I had a bunch of questions like why was the Schnitzel made from turkey breast. I was hoping to actually get an answer but it never happen. She assured me that it was really good. I was really on the fence but decided to go for it. I must admit it was really good. I was surprised at how good it was. They might be on to something here.

The Gerhard Schnitzel also came with a choice of potato. I was deciding between potato pancake and Spatzel. I finally chose the Spatzel and our waitress suggested I put gravy on top. Hey it's Wisconsin that's advice you take. I will say the gravy made it complete. I was really happy. There was also a side of carrots too which were over cooked but delicious and sweet. Typically a side of carrots are tasteless.

The Schnitzel also came with a cup of soup. I decided to go with the Bier Soup. When it arrived at the table it was cold in temperature. I flagged down the waitress and told her. She said, "I asked him if it was warm and he said yes!" So I'm not sure what that meant. Maybe my cup went into the microwave on its return back to the kitchen. When it did come back it was hot and had what looked like the microwave cooked ring on the top of the bowl. I will say that the soup was unique and good. There was chunks of the sweet carrot and onion in the soup. I was house made but sent out cold. After it was warmed up it was very tasty.

There were two other soups offered. A chicken Spatzel which was delicious. In fact, this was the star of the show here. I snuck a spoon from my little one. My wife had the split pea which was good but it had rich hints of smoke in it, most likely from a smoked ham. She loved it. I thought it was good but I probably couldn't eat more then two spoons of it because of the overpowering smoke taste.

My wife got the BLT and it was a huge disappointment. I felt bad for her. I would have expected the bacon to be better in quality and cooked properly. In fact, most of the bacon was inedible because it was really fatty. In retrospect we should have alerted the waitress but we didn't. We really don't like sending things back and we already had the cold soup sent back.

There is also a basket of buns which includes rolls and fruit cup muffins. I only had the rolls and they were really good. My little liked both.

This place has a lot of flair for a German restaurant. There are not many of these types of places around anymore, so when you see one you have to enjoy it. Hey it took us 9 years before we finally ate here. This place is a solid 4 in Kenosha but it would probably rate lower if it was located in downtown Chicago. I have to appreciate it for what it is and being in business for 48 years says you're doing something right. So I raise my glass and say, "Prost!" And I'm coming back for a giant bowl of that Chicken Spatzel soup!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Been going here for years, been some downer visits, but most all have been VERY good. Most recent visit had 12 of us, all the food was served simultaneously and hot. Good job! Everyone was happy.

1  Thank SEWiscon
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Ate here for the first time this week, and we were very, very pleased. The menu and lunch specials were extensive enough for good choices and we enjoyed sauerbraten and fried turkey schnitzel...sides were excellent, bread was fresh, the beer choices solid...and prices at lunch were reasonable.

Loved it--we'll be back!