“A place you have to visit!”
Review of Mars Cheese Castle

Mars Cheese Castle
Ranked #1 of 26 Nightlife in Kenosha
More attraction details
Owner description: Mars Cheese Castle is a family owned Wisconsin staple and grown tour attraction situated on I-94 between Milwaukee and Chicago. It is a castle that houses many departments including a specialty market offering more than 500 cheeses, wines and specialty items from Wisconsin and around the world, an in house bakery featuring desserts, kringles and breads (famous for its cheese and jalapeno cheese bread) baked daily, a restaurant popular for its many generously portioned cheese & meat sandwiches and featured burger and sandwiches of the month and a pub, well known for it's Wisconsin beers on tap and famous Bloody Mary (don't forget the beer chaser, a Wisconsin tradition!). Don't forget to pick up a souvenir in the gift shop on your way out!
Midland, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A place you have to visit!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

If you are in any of the northern Chicago suburbs, you've got to drive the hour or so to Kenosha, WI and visit the Mars Cheese Castle. You can taste test all their cheeses and a few of their bakery goods, and sit and relax with a cup of their famous Doors County coffee. What a treat. They also have a beer/wine shop and novelty gift shop. We purchased a large bag of their garlic/parmesan cheese curds, a jalapeno cheese bread roll and two small bags of their famous coffee to brew at home. It was worth the drive to Wisconsin on a beautiful, cool, sunny Saturday morning. When we left we drove to down town Kenosha and walked through their free museum and had a wonderful lunch at one of their many restaurants.

Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“CHEESE!!!!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

While I love going to Wisconsin to see family up there, I am probably MOST excited about getting to go to Mars Cheese Castle to stock up on cheese!!! I can't get curds at home, so those are a must, as well as different kinds of cheese I can't find anywhere else. Great wine selection, and fun souvenirs are available there too. I recently went, and hadn't been there since the remodel- it looks so cool with its 'castle' facade, so fun! There's even a bar inside with tvs where your less-excited family members can hang out while you spend a few paychecks-worth of money on enough cheese to feed a mouse army! Probably my favorite thing I've ever had from Mars is the fresh-baked cheese bread from the bakery-- SO GOOD!!!! Smoke mozarella string cheese is good, and the goat curds are good too.
Mars also has a large wine and beer selection, but after going to a few other places in Kenosha, I discovered Mars is not the cheapest place to get these items, but it's still definitely worth going to and picking up a few cheesy snacks. Oh, and the free samples are great too! (I can now say that I've tried chicken soup cheese, and it did truly taste like chicken soup.)

Lake County, Illinois
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“The place for Smoked Cheese!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

They have the best smoked string cheese. The cheese curds come in dill flavor, which I cant find many places. So many different things to chose from and the Castle itself is amazing

Visited September 2012
Amherst, New Hampshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The cheese bread is the thing”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Loved the cheese bread! and the curds were yummy but don't ask them for "chudge" seems some don't have a sense of humor, although I only requested it based on a newspaper article recommendation. The rest of the staff was very pleasant.
Did I mentioned I LOVED the cheese bread. It was all I wanted to eat on the two day drive back home.

Munster, Indiana
120 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Cheesy”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

How can you resist stopping for cheese, beer, pastry, and junk food on any trip to Wisconsin. There's a cow inside to take cheesy pictures with too. Lots of souvenirs too. I try to stop every time we head into Milwaukee. Good people watching too!