“Never again...”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Kenosha
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Never again...”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was one of the worst experiences ever. After spending 15 hours on the road we just wanted to check in and get some sleep. I was in town for a personal family matter and I had an important meeting to attend the next morning. We were traveling on a tight budget and had planned for every penny of this trip. We figured in the extra $20.00 a night for our dog and the $50.00 refundable deposit. What we did not expect was another $100.00 deposit in case of damage to the hotel room. Now it is also refundable but that was not clearly stated on the website when I reserved the room. So I did not have $100.00 for the deposit. I asked if the $50.00 for the dogs was enough and I was told, "It was hotel policy for the $100.00 deposit." I wanted to just leave at that point so I asked for a refund of my room and pet deposit. The manager said they could but it would take 3 - 5 business days to re-credit my visa. Of course I could not do that as I could not get another room in town! So, I had to call a friend and borrow $100.00 to give to the hotel. On top of that the manager would not give us a key until our friend showed up with the money. This was extremely embarrassing.
Now for the hotel itself. Since Carthage college has students housed there the rooms and hallways were noisy. I also saw many students letting extra people in the hotel through the back door. Of course a ton of alcohol was brought in. The partying happened each night and was loud.
The hotel layout was weird and inconvenient. You can't go from the lobby to the rooms on one elevator if you are above the 3rd floor. You have the choice of taking two elevators or a flight of stairs.
This hotel is sorely in need of a major renovation. Everything is old, broken and outdated. There is not a microwave or small refrigerator in the rooms. The ice machines are on the 2nd and 4th floors only.
The air unit either blew extremely hot air or very cold air. They are also very noisy units. It almost drowned out the noise of the drunks.
The hotel smells like cigarette smoke, especially on the weekends. They have a no smoking policy but it does not appear to be enforced. I noticed the staff smokes right next to the exits so some smoke gets in there.
We never really felt safe as people were continually let in that did not have a room in the hotel.
If you use any apple or mac products you will not have internet access in your rooms. When I called the manager the only answer I got was they were aware the apple products did not work in the rooms but sometimes worked in the lobby!?!?!?!?!? It is 2013 and any hotel that claims they have high speed internet service needs to provide it for all devices. I don't have this problem at other hotels or at Starbucks, Panera bread etc... The hotel needs to get an IT person that knows what they are doing and make it work for an Apple/Mac.
I did appreciate that they had free breakfast. However, on the first morning I had the omelet and bacon. Both products were cold and became sick from it. The next morning I had the waffles and it took nearly 10 minutes for the batter to pour into the cup because it was made too thick. The next 3 mornings I just ate cold cereal because that is hard to screw up.
Another issue was the spa not being available. How about a discount for not having all the facilities available. Also, how about a discount for military service?
One more issue before I mention two positives. Parking was not adequate on the weekend especially if you get back after 8 pm. People that are not guests of the hotel are parked there illegally and it doesn't seem like any cars get towed.
The positives. This hotel is on lake Michigan. The other positive was the excellent service by the maids. The maids worked hard to keep a broken down hotel clean.
Kenosha doesn't have too many hotels so your choices are limited. I think the owners of this hotel know this and take advantage of this. I highly recommend getting a hotel near I-94 or drive to Racine.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here get a room on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd floor away from the elevators. Bring ext...
6 Thank HollyBailie
BWYvetteAGM, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We apologize about not meeting your expectations. The hotel is under new ownership and in the process of renovation the hotel and getting better internet service into the hotel. We currently do have some Carthage College students staying with us however they follow strict policies and even have their own floor and entrance which is also monitored 7 days a week by security from 10pm until 5am each day so that noise levels etc are kept to a minimal and they, as all hotel guest, follow a “quiet time” policy of 10pm daily.
The $100 incidental deposit is for cashing paying guest. This incidental deposit can be made in cash or on a credit cards. This policy is pretty standard in the hotel industry. Again we apologize about not meeting your expectations we do hope that you give us another try.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Montello, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a funeral we had to attend. We selected this hotel because it was close to where we needed to be. We had a our two kids with us and they love swimming, well don't plan on doing much swimming here. First of all we walked into the pool area and it was very cold, the hot tub was not working and when we stepped into the pool the water was freezing. My poor kids stood in it for about 10 minutes and then asked if we could go back to our room. I was very disappointed when we first walked into our room, on the Best Western website under room amenities microwave and fridge are listed, we didn't have either in our room. The room smelled funny, we thought maybe a mix between stale smoke and stinky dog. And when we tried to turn the tv on it didn't work we had to move furniture around to plug it in. The location was great, right on the water although we weren't very interested in that during this visit. The breakfast was actually pretty good and the selection changed, there were different hot items available each morning. The layout of this hotel is very strange, there are two different elevators and only one takes you to the lobby level and that elevator was freezing cold. This hotel served it's purpose for us and luckily we didn't spend much time in it, but we would never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We apologize about not meeting your expectations. The hotel is under new ownership and in the process of renovation the hotel. That particular dates one of the pool heaters went out, unfortunately something cannot be foreseen. The hotel does offer microwaves and mini refrigerators at a minimal fee. With the renovations we are undergoing all rooms will eventually have microwaves and mini refrigerators. We hope you give us another try in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Kenosha hotels

suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I wouldn't say our stay was bad, but not the best we've ever had traveling.
Pros - The room was cheap, the lake side view was awesome, great for sunriseview, walking distance to the museums, bars, dinning, and shopping. The breakfast was great, lost of food choices. (scrambled eggs, croisants, bagels, muffins, cereal, sausage, yogurt, juice, coffee, tea.). The room was clean, and the view was great.

Cons - the outside door was next to us, and it would slam shut every time someone came or went, which bounced our door and vibrated the room... We were by the pool, and all the screaming unsupervised children running up and down the hall way. The wall in the bathroom was buckling. Cleaning took our towels the one day and didn't replace them.

Room Tip: You don't want room 101 or the new room they are adding next to it!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travel4Fun31
Thank you for your review. If you return in the future please ask for a higher room as the views getting better the higher floor you are.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My 11 year old and I stayed here two nights ago because she had a championship swim meet at Carthage College and I thought it would be better for her to get a good, full night's sleep rather than get up ungodly early and drive. Was I wrong!

Check in was fine, Kristin was very nice. We got an "upgraded" harbor view room because I helped out another family. The hotel itself is old and in dire need of some real repairs (vs patch jobs) and updating. I got the kiddo settled in to bed about 9. About 930 the dance party started ... music, loud voices, barking (you figure that one out). I called the front desk and was asked what room it was coming from (how would I know, I wasn't invited!), and was told she would "walk the halls" to figure it out. Kristin did just that but the noise level didn't change, so I decided I would do the same and either ask the people to tone it down or ask Kristin to do it.

I found the room one floor and one room over from me. As I was debating whether to knock, a party goer or lady of the night (you make the call - the dress was very sparkly and very short) arrived. Please note: she came in a side door, so apparently had her own key. I went to the front desk and was told Kristin had to wait 15 minutes for security. What??

Yep. There is nothing she can do other than ask them to quiet down because the hotel also acts as AN UPPERCLASS DORM FOR CARTHAGE COLLEGE, so it is not within the hotel's jursidiction, AND she cannot call the police. She assured me that since they were upperclassmen and "knew better" AND because security was arriving soon, that they would pipe down. That's when I lost it ... it was nearly 1030 at that point, we still had to be up early, and I needed to wait for them to quiet down AND hope they didn't bring the party back with them later?

Long story short: Kristin seemed to do what she could. We switched to a different room (which is good and bad since it was late, but at least we got some rest) and a small discount. I would definitely NOT recommend this hotel as long as it serves as a college dorm. For the record, the badly behaved college students were in room 219, and no, I did not "prank" call them when I got up at 6 am although I did seriously consider it. :)

2 Thank bk_in_chgo03
We apologize about not meeting your expectations. The hotel is under new ownership and in the process of renovation the hotel. We currently do have some Carthage College students staying with us however they follow strict policies and even have their own floor and entrance which is also monitored 7 days a week by security from 10pm until 5am each day so that noise levels etc are kept to a minimal and they, as all hotel guest, follow a “quiet time” policy of 10pm daily.
With your review we have contacted the college presidents and have been in communication with them and their security. Strict measures have been taken by those involved and this sort of incident will not happen or be tolerated again. I sincerely apologize about your experience and would love to see you and your family stay with us again next time you are in Kenosha.
West Chester, PA
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We booked this hotel because of its location. There isn't much of a downtown left in Kenosha but Lake Michigan is lovely. We had planned to stay 6 nights but checked out after 1. It is really down on its heels and not very clean. The people at the desk were so kind and friendly but they couldn't overcome a property that needs significant upgrading and, at the least, a good cleaning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank HannahMary6637
BWYvetteAGM, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Good news, with the new ownership we are in the processes of renovating the hotel. However with renovations it does take some time with coordinating the least amount of business interruption. We hope that when you return to the area next you are able to experience our renovations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenosha
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kenosha
Best Western Executive Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Kenosha
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Kenosha
Candlewood Suites Kenosha
Holiday Inn Express - Pleasant Prairie
Holiday Inn Express - Pleasant P...
#2 of 4 in Pleasant Prairie

Been to Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside? Share your experiences!