“Great Location, Friendly Staff”

Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Kenosha
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The staff really makes you feel welcome. Although there was a remodeling taking place, the staff went out of their way to make you feel comfortable. The location is close to restaurants and bars with a wonderful view of the lake and not far away from the museums. The room was clean with comfortable beds. The free breakfast is outstanding with many choices and plenty to eat. Once the remodeling is over, this is a great place to stay when visiting Kenosha, WI.

Room Tip: "Ask for a room with a view to the lake"
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

From the hotel staff and management we want to Thank You for your business and kind remarks about our hotel. The new owners and management have been working hard to remodel, reshape and clean this hotel. It very rewarding to see our hard work is appreciated. Thank you for your business, and have a great day.

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were booked to stay at this hotel thru Orbitz - and when we arrived I was shocked! The entire bottom floor stunk so badly (come to find out they had a pipe burst). Then - when we got to the 2nd floor where our room was - the smell of chlorine (I'm assuming from the pool) was soooo strong it almost made us sick! The room looked like it hadn't been updated in 20 years! Terrible! Luckily - we were able to contact Orbitz and get out of the reservation!! It's situated on a nice place - but this hotel is so run down!

The staff was very nice and helpful - and luckily we were able to leave and find a different hotel!!

Until this hotel is updated - and the smell is eliminated - I would not advise anyone to stay here!

Room Tip: Do not stay here until it's been updated - and the pipe and all the damage (and the terrible sme...
2  Thank David L
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western Harborside Kenosha we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We are in the process of renovations and updates to the first floor and pool area.Please take my personal apology for the inconveniences during your stay at my hotel.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was without a doubt one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. First, it should be noted that the hotel was probably experiencing one of its worst weekends but their handling of the situation just killed it for me.

1. We arrived at a little before 4pm on Sunday afternoon. Check-in was at 3. We were informed that our room was not quite ready and would we be willing to wait 30 minutes. No problem. We made ourselves comfortable in the lobby.

2. One hour later as I wait in line at the front desk to inquire about the wait for my room, I overhear the front desk staff member tell another customer that there was no hot water. Hmmmm, what is this? Turns out there was a main break that flooded their first floor and caused the hot water pressure to plummet in effect leaving most people without hot water. Would have been nice to have been informed this when I first approached the front desk and not to overhear this piece of information. By the way, at this point I was told it would be another 15 minute wait.

3. After an hour and a half of waiting for a room that should have been ready 2 1/2 hours ago, I approach the front desk again. She tells me another 15 minute wait. She does tell me there is a non-Harborside room available, would I be interested? Yes, of course. At the non-Harborside rate though. At which point she tells me she can't give me a refund on the rate I already paid online so I'm going to have to continue to wait for a Harborside room.

4. I call the corporate office who calls the front desk who is then told that yes I can be given a refund so I don't have to pay a rate for a room I'm not receiving.

5. Finally get to a room somewhere near 6pm. But the fun isn't over yet. The fire alarm starts to go off. Mind you there is cleaning staff on our floor that seem to be hanging out there and clearly in no real hurry and they seem unconcerned and act as if this is totally normal. Call front desk who informs us there is no fire and to ignore the alarm. Alarm eventually goes off.

6. Finally leave to find dinner around 7 (there is still cleaning staff on the floor). TV doesn't work so we had to inform front staff about this hiccup as well on our way out.

7. And the finally bit of nonsense, the fire alarm went off again at 4am for a few minutes.

I suppose if any one or even just two of the above happened I could roll with it but it was one bad thing after the other and I guess what really served to inflame the situation was the complete lack of response from the staff. They apologized. I'll give them that. But after awhile you don't want to hear that there is nothing they can do about it (about anything) and you want to hear that there is someone working there with even a modicum of responsibility who is attempting to do something about it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ferjenni
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We get here and the WHOLE first floor is under construction. The walls are torn apart, the floors are sticky and basically not even floors. Keep in mind, you have to walk through all of this to get to the pool. (Which at deepest is 3ft, not very fun for swimming unless you are a small child.) The whole building is extremely outdated and hard to navigate. We stayed on the fifth floor and if you want to avoid the construction on your way up you have to take a big detour, using 2 completely different elevators. I took a short shower and the whole tub filled up and would not drain for over half an hour, so we called the desk asking for Draino or something that WE could do (which requires no work from them at all) and they said to just wait it out. Luckily about two hours later it was empty. There were loose cords and wires sticking out from the wall under the desk. There was peeling, dirty wallpaper. The whole place was extremely outdated. The only real positive here was looking out the window at the beautiful harbor lights. We had a pretty nice view if you don't include the room.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nice views of harbor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Brandy F
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed one short night at the Best Western - 2nd floor. Our room had harbor view which provided us with a great view esp. in the morning. The building is old(er) and under construction/remodeling. The whole 1st floor was torn up - there was no info on when remodeling will be finished. The structure is on a slope with the reception area half a floor up/down - no easy way to get to to your room, escalators from ground do not stop at reception level, ground floor had steps to street so it looked to me as if the rooms are not wheelchair accessible. Our room was near the pool area and there was a distinct chlorine smell in the hallway (but not in the room).
The room was spacious enough but not inspiring - Best Western standard but for the great view. hallway noise entered the room (old doors). There is a pool which we did not use.

The staff was great, very friendly and helpful. The breakfast (complimentary!) was ok - not as good as some reviews say: scrambled eggs, bacon, muffins, ... some whole fruit, coffee (urn) and various packaged things (flakes, yoghurt,...). It is served in the hotel lobby.
There was free wireless internet in the room.
Given the free breakfast, internet, and location it is a good alternative to staying out near I-94,

Room Tip: Request room with Harbor view! Higher up is better.
1  Thank Juergen1960
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Whole first floor was under construction!!!! No Hot Water For 2 Days !!!!!! Spa Was 115 Degrees! Burned my husband and I . Spiders next to pool and on door of exit. Best thing about hotel was the view of Lake Michigan from the outside! Our room had a view of a wall...lol

Room Tip: Choose a lakeside room or dont stay!
2  Thank Kelly P
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

I appoligize for the issues you had at my hotel. We had a hot waterline break and flood the entire first level. We are in the process of fixing the issues and speeding up or renovation plans for the first floor. This was an issue out of the hotel control and I appoligize you experienced this durning your stay. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We checked in to the Best Western Harborside around 3 PM. They didn't have a king room available, as requested (one of the housekeepers had called in sick), so we were upgraded to a two double bed room harborside. The desk attendant/manager said she was sorry they were out of hot water at the moment...but expected to have it back in order any time since they'd called a plumber. We unloaded and settled in for the evening.

Around 5 PM we happened to go down to the ground floor to exit by the harbor and take a walk. That's when we saw water pooled in the hallway on the ground floor. People were trying to use a sump pump...that wasn't working. Two plumbing trucks were sitting in the parking lot. I spoke with one of the plumbers and he said they had discovered the "hole" in the water pipe.

We bailed out on the hotel and went over closer to the interstate where we would begin our trip for the next day.

I'd choose this hotel again...even though we've never spent an entire night there. The hotel has a great location within walking distance of restaurants and attractions. The view of the harbor is wonderful and I can see sitting out on one of the many benches around the walkway to take in the evening with music drifting across from a nearby waterfront restaurant. The room we were in was clean and nicely furnished. The manager was very nice throughout the whole experience. Next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western Harborside Kenosha we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. Please take my personal apology for the inconveniences during your stay at my hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenosha
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kenosha
Best Western Executive Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Kenosha
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Kenosha
Candlewood Suites Kenosha
Holiday Inn Express - Pleasant Prairie
Holiday Inn Express - Pleasant P...
#2 of 4 in Pleasant Prairie

Been to Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside? Share your experiences!