“Great Location-Awful Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Kenosha
Detroit, mi
“Great Location-Awful Hotel”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This hotel is located on the Port of Kenosha which is the ideal location if you are traveling to Kenosha. It is located near local restaurants, bars and musuems. Other than location the hotel does not have much to offer. The hotel looks like it was built in the 1950's and has not had much updates since that time. The bathroom, decorations, carpet and walls are outdated in both the rooms, lobby and public areas. The full breakfast that is advertised is ok at best. The seating in the lobby is limited which made it impossible for my family to take advantage of the breakfast buffet. No high speed internet access in the rooms. We had to pay a nominal fee for a refrigerator in our room. It was a pain to load and unload luggage because there was not a ramp near the elevator and we had to carry luggage down stairs. The hotel was very busy the entire time we were there and many of the guests seemed unhappy with having a long wait to check in and housekeeping services. Not family friendly at all. The lobby area turned into a drinking lounge for guests at night. If you can handle an outdated hotel and don't have kids then you might be able to tolerate this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Eloper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The location is the best. You can walk to Villa D'Carlo, the China Inn restaurants, downtown (Jockey Factory Outlet, toy story, gourmet hotdogs, etc.) and then enjoy the glorious view of the harbor and walk out to the lighthouse. A short jog and you're at Eichelman Park and 3rd Ave. Close also to businesses, Post Office.
Front Desk was friendly. Guest Internet PC right at the front desk, discourages anyone from spending a whole lot of time on it, as everyone can read your screen. I guess that's the point. So, quick checks of email and flight status was all we could do. Which was fine.
Hotel was clean and pool was OK.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MaryLeeStenson
Van Horne, Iowa
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was pleased with this hotel. I had a clean room and fridge and microwave. Those things really matter when you are away from home. Nice staff. The housekeeping staff was very helpful and gave me all the free coffee I could drink. I will stay here when I am in this area on business again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank johnie226
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2011

A clean room and excellent staff, receptionists and housekeepers very helpful. Just one thing that would help would be brighter, more inviting stairways. Being built into the side of a hill stairs are unavoidable, but they could look more like a hotel's stairs than like a battleship's.
Don't let that put you off, this is a good hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Pete S
harborsideinn, Director of Sales at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
We would like to say thank you for selecting the Best Western Harborside Inn & Kenosha Conference Center for your June stay in Kenosha. I have shared your positive comments with our front desk staff and housekeeping department. After working hard at giving our guest outstanding customer service and clean fresh rooms our employees appreciate hearing that their hard work pays off with happy guest. We hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Kind of expensive for such an outdated and dingy hotel. My wife and I felt like something was crawling on us the whole time. Rooms were outdated and did not seem clean. Looked behind a nightstand for an outlet and found garbage, crumbs, and an earring. Walls were very thin. We we're woken in the middle of the night by a loud male & female in adjacent room.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank coolraybhm
Thank you for your review we value what our guests say and comments can only make us better. We apologize about any items that you may have found behind the night stand we have brought this to our Executive Housekeeper’s attention and she will review this with her staff. With the down economy the hotel has been slow at upgrading all the rooms at once we have been doing the upgrades a few rooms at a time. By the end of summer we anticipate all hotel rooms to be upgraded and with a fresh new look starting with our new bedding program. We hope to see you and your wife back with us soon because we are confident that once you stay in our new updated rooms you will be very satisfied with your accommodations

Travelers are raving about these Kenosha hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We arrived a few minutes early for check in, and though the hotel was as good as empty, and the rooms clean, the management made us wait until check in time.
While waiting for check in I went to the laundry room to do my laundry. The manager followed me down and told me that since I was not checked in yet I was not allowed to do my laundry. The rest of the staff was friendly. The rooms were clean, but not very nice, and the management was overly strict and unaccommodating. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding at the Kenosha Yacht Club. As far as location, its perfect. It has a great view of Lake Michigan and it's close to all the downtown businesses. But for the price, even the wedding rate, its definitely not a great value considering the hotel appearance and amenities. It could definitely use an aesthetic and more modern makeover. The bathroom is very small and there is very little counter space. The rate just doesn't support the "brand" of hotel or the city. Its downtown Kenosha, not downtown Milwaukee or Chicago. I guess you're really just paying a premium for being on the lake. One plus is the complimentary breakfast. There are a lot of choices and a pretty good sized eating area in the lobby. Overall, had a great time at the wedding and was glad the hotel was so close to the yacht club, but I wouldn't pay to stay here again if I was just visiting.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenosha
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kenosha
Best Western Executive Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Kenosha
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Kenosha
Candlewood Suites Kenosha
Holiday Inn Express - Pleasant Prairie
Holiday Inn Express - Pleasant P...
#2 of 4 in Pleasant Prairie

Been to Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside? Share your experiences!