“Good breakfast”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
WI
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My son and I went there for breakfast. They have a good menu, with a variety of things items. Both of us had eggs, hashbrowns, toast, and buttermilk pancakes. I'm not normally a hashbrown fan, but these were excellent! The pancakes were also good....much better than you'd get at a IHOP or chain restaurant.

The service was on the "leisurely" side, given the number of people in the restaurant, but I think it's worth a trip back, either again for breakfast or a different meal.

• Visited March 2014

Appleton, Wisconsin
“Could have been....”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We have been looking forward to trying Kangaroost since they moved to Appleton. We finally had a chance for breakfast on a Sunday after church. It was sadly a major disappointment. I love the concept of locally sourced, high-quality foods. The restaurant was less than half full. We ordered and it took a good while for our food to come. To our surprise, it was lukewarm at best and the egg portions were small. My husband's breakfast was supposed to include 3 eggs and it was maybe 1 to 1-1/2 at best and mine was to include 2 eggs and it was maybe 1. Their prices are not inexpensive and I believe you should get what you pay for. The toast was cold and the hash browns were not cooked through. We won't be back. Our bill was $50 with tip and no, we did not have any alcohol.

Visited February 2014
Wisconsin
“Odd experience”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We came to this new restaurant, which is located where Bluemound meets Prospect Ave in an older building - a very neat building for a restaurant. We came for the Valentines Dinner for two and were very excited to go. We had heard good things.

This is one of those cases where there really wasn't anything wrong with the food at all except for the overly dry heirloom potatoes with the steak, but the dining experience was strange. When we walked in, the dining room seems very cold and open, not warm and open like the vibe they were going for. I hate to use the word surreal, but I will here because it applies. We just felt like we were somewhere else or at an odd mexican restaurant.

There was also no NA beer on the menu, which isn't a big deal but I think it's popular enough that restaurants should at least carry one type.

We were also not told that we could order off of the menu - that is we were led to believe we had to order the dinner for two. Not the end of the world, but we probably would have ordered something different. The appetizer course was very pedestrian with some cubed cheese, micro herbs and some odd crackers. I am not sure what they were going for.

The tangerine salad was delicious and had a good balance.

Scallops were well prepared. Saffron risotto was well done, but I would have hoped for slightly more risotto flavor. The sun dried tomatoes in cream were surprisingly good.

Steak was average for a tenderloin but as I mentioned, the herbed potatoes were basically inedible due to dryness and being overcooked.

I might give this place another try, but I would have a hard time convincing my wife to choose this over some of the other options in town.

Service was rather slow considering that it wasn't crowded. Our waiter was very nice, but he didn't seem very knowledgable at all.

Overall not a terrible experience, but if we're going to spend $100 on a night out, we would expect more.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank jvg62
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Relocated to West Prospect, Appleton”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Kangaroost Restaurant in Kaukauna is closed and has relocated to Appleton. The new location offers a wide selection of entrees at reasonable prices and the food quality is excellent. The main dining room is spacious and with plenty of seating but dinner reservations would be a good idea.

• Visited February 2014
“Simple Elegance ”
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Food and service was excellent. The freshness of the ingredients shine through. We'll be back many times more.