“Odd experience”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We came to this new restaurant, which is located where Bluemound meets Prospect Ave in an older building - a very neat building for a restaurant. We came for the Valentines Dinner for two and were very excited to go. We had heard good things.

This is one of those cases where there really wasn't anything wrong with the food at all except for the overly dry heirloom potatoes with the steak, but the dining experience was strange. When we walked in, the dining room seems very cold and open, not warm and open like the vibe they were going for. I hate to use the word surreal, but I will here because it applies. We just felt like we were somewhere else or at an odd mexican restaurant.

There was also no NA beer on the menu, which isn't a big deal but I think it's popular enough that restaurants should at least carry one type.

We were also not told that we could order off of the menu - that is we were led to believe we had to order the dinner for two. Not the end of the world, but we probably would have ordered something different. The appetizer course was very pedestrian with some cubed cheese, micro herbs and some odd crackers. I am not sure what they were going for.

The tangerine salad was delicious and had a good balance.

Scallops were well prepared. Saffron risotto was well done, but I would have hoped for slightly more risotto flavor. The sun dried tomatoes in cream were surprisingly good.

Steak was average for a tenderloin but as I mentioned, the herbed potatoes were basically inedible due to dryness and being overcooked.

I might give this place another try, but I would have a hard time convincing my wife to choose this over some of the other options in town.

Service was rather slow considering that it wasn't crowded. Our waiter was very nice, but he didn't seem very knowledgable at all.

Overall not a terrible experience, but if we're going to spend $100 on a night out, we would expect more.

1  Thank jvg62

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Kangaroost Restaurant in Kaukauna is closed and has relocated to Appleton. The new location offers a wide selection of entrees at reasonable prices and the food quality is excellent. The main dining room is spacious and with plenty of seating but dinner reservations would be a good idea.

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Food and service was excellent. The freshness of the ingredients shine through. We'll be back many times more.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This review is for dinner at the Prospect location. There were four of us for dinner on a Friday night. We went early (5:30) but still made reservations. I would recommend reservations as the place filled up quickly and no tables were available by 6:00. The staff is very friendly, inviting and attentive. Our waitress knew the menu and drinks well which is always appreciated vs having to run back to the kitchen to verify questions :) My husband and I each started off with a glass of wine which was good but not a $8 pour - we felt it was maybe 4oz. So we quickly changed to beer. The entrees the four of us chose were: chicken (herbed dressing, sweet potato puree & seasonal vegetables), Fish special (beer battered cod, slaw & sweet potato fries), Bone in ribeye special, and Pot Pie with Duck meat. All entrees were very well cooked, seasoned and exceptional. Even with everything tasting great we were a bit surprised when we got our bill by the cost of my husbands fish special ($26) for one piece of cod, slaw and 4-5 sweet potato fries. They had a musician playing guitar and singing which we were surprised by but very much enjoyed. All four of us value Kangaroost for their determination to be a local eatery striving for local ingredients. We would recommend this place and look forward to another visit someday.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was probably the worst experience I have ever had at a restaurant. I decided to give this restaurant a second chance after my boyfriend and I had had a horrible time at their last location with their then, definition of a gluten friendly menu. I am all for supporting local businesses and local products, but this will be the last time I ever go to this location and I will encourage others not to go as well. My mother and I went to the Kangaroost on Sunday for lunch. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the restaurant was the white kitchen doors that were scratched and needed to be retouched. We got drinks right away and it looked promising that I was going to have a better time. However, after the waitress took our order it all went downhill from there. My mom and I sat there for an HOUR waiting, mind you there were some people in the restaurant, but not enough to cause that long of a wait. Our waitress never came back to refill our glasses or talk to us. Only after we sat there for an hour did a guy come over and tell us that our ticket had been lost in the kitchen. We opted to just have them make it for us anyway and even then we had to wait for a while. In all that span of time our waitress never talked to us or explained what had happened. She did however wait on the table next to us and turn her back to us and walk away. It was almost cowardly and ridiculous that she couldn't even come back to our table. After we were finished the man who had brought us our food came over and said it was on them, which I had expected. We asked for the owner to voice our concerns and only then did he identify himself as the owner. When he took our concerns he seemed to brush it off like he had no intention of follow through at all. I will NEVER go back here!!