“RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!”

Bong State Recreation Area
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors to this recreation area have a wide choice of activities including cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, fishing, camping and swimming.
Reviewed July 22, 2015 via mobile

Shame on Wisconsin for even offering camping at this buggy cesspit of a park! I have done a TON of camping and this was the WORST I've ever experienced!!! I can't believe we drove all the way from Texas for this!

They advertise a swimming beach...doesn't exist! They advertise showers and a 'comfort station'....they are cold!!!! Who in their right mind thinks that anyone would want to take a cold shower when it is 62 degrees outside! I walked into that bathroom and mentioned to my mother that it resembled something out of a Saw movie....horrible black mold and rust stains everywhere...balls of Mosquitos swarming about IN your shower....spiders all over the place! Add a cold shower to the mix and you get the picture. I literally stood there and cried in the shower because it was so miserable!!! I swear I heard Jigsaw laughing through the vents.

Mosquitos. Lots and lots of Mosquitos. Everywhere! They are vicious and immune to bug spray. As a matter of fact I think they have learned to even love being doused with it! They get in your car, in your camper, by the fire - there is no escaping!!! My son joked that there is a sign up front that says 'mosquito outbreak' yes or no. The sign was flipped to 'no' - are you trying to to tell me that this is normal???? If so, please tell me what an outbreak would look like! Are tumbleweeds of Mosquitos rolling around the property not enough to be labeled an outbreak?!!? We were basically confined to our pop-up for three days because of the miserable conditions at this park. We made it a point to leave EARLY every day to go visit various points of interest in the area. We made it a point to return to the campsite as late as possible. We spent NO time here for the purpose of enjoyment.

I would recommend converting this park to day use only. It is basically a swamp. You hear a bunch of road noise and noise from the atv portion of the park anyhow. There is no escaping that when you are sitting around a campfire trying to experience solitude.

On top of all of this, imagine our surprise when we pull up to the park after having already paid for our campsite via reserve America only to find that Wisconsin was nice enough to charge us an extra $10 a day for use of their lovely facilities! Are you kidding me?!! What a racket!

There are pretty wildflowers everywhere and a ton of bunnies hopping around.
Oh, and the man that checks you in up at the front was very friendly. Look, I said something nice!

1  Thank blondi1517
in 9 reviews
"hike"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed July 1, 2015

The Bong State Recreation area was a good place for camping. Not too far from Chicago, clean toilets and shower facilities that were always stocked with toilet paper. Each site was fairly secluded and the park rangers made frequent rounds, which made our girls trip feel safe. The park is huge and there is lot of options...hiking, boating, fishing, etc.

I would suggest viewing the map if you are selecting more than one campsite. Our sites were next to each other, but separated by a lot of trees and brush, so we had to walk out the the street to get some site to site.

It was quiet at night and I would say a good place to bring kids.

There were lots of spiders and the mosquitoes were bad, so bring lots of bug spray!

We had a non-electric site and you can't beat the price!!

Reviewed June 26, 2015

Campsites are nice! Advertised swimming beach - nonexistent. Lady at check in was really nice! Rangers and other staff very nice until they realized our 5 sites ( 27 people) were a racially mixed group! Then every little thing was a problem.One of the camping employees would pass by us several times a day reminding us to clean our sites or we would be given citations. Rangers followed us and parked to watch us everywhere we went, like we were going to steal or destroy something.Will not go back!!!!!

1  Thank Marie S
Reviewed May 27, 2015

one of my favorite places love hiking and bird watching here. Great trails and programs led here throughout the year. My personal favorite was the falcon one.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 14, 2015

The fact that this area was once slated to become an Air Force base should tell you a little something about how unique it is. The remnants of the planned runway are still there, though it was never paved. There are so many different outdoor experiences going on at this site, that there is something for everyone to do or observe. There are a lot of wetlands where waterfowl stop at. A very nice and handicap accessible observation platform is right along the main road. The day we were there we saw ducks, geese, a muskrat and a painted turtle. A large group of equestrian riders were there and fun to observe. Several people were using an area designated for dog training and it also was interesting to watch. There is fishing and a large beach area also available. Although we were not camping, we drove through the campgrounds and were surprised at how many people were taking advantage of it that early in the season. Well worth a visit and always something new to see.

1  Thank seaturtle30_12