“Horrible Customer Service”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Johnson Creek
Madison, Wisconsin
“Horrible Customer Service”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I used this hotel the weekend of October 21-23rd for my wedding guests (we did not have the reception at the hotel and I'm extremely happy about that). The only description for the customer service at this hotel is "horrible." DO NOT use this hotel if you appreciate courteous, friendly and helpful service. You won't get it. Below is a summary of the primary issues we had with this hotel:

Check-in:
We booked our block of rooms in April and were assured early check-in would be "no problem." Check-in time is 3pm and our off-site wedding was at 4 pm, so most guests wanted early check-in to get ready. As the wedding approached we were told they couldn't guarantee early check-in and "no one would have guaranteed it." This was untrue as the manager of the hotel in April did guarantee early check-in. Now, normally, I would be understanding with hotel staff not guaranteeing early check-in when the hotel was full. However, the staff were consistently rude, condescending and unprofessional when they told guests they couldn't promise they could honor the early check-in request. They delivered thier message with a tone that basically told my guests they were stupid and annoying for even asking for early check-in. The staff could have delivered the message in a polite and accomodating manner but they did not. Ultimately, they did manage to accommodate most, if not all early check-in requests, but the horrible manner in which they handled these requests is really all we remember about the experience.

Hotel Bar:
We had called to inquire about the total number of rooms we had booked so we could prepare welcome bags. The gentleman on the phone gave us a number and also let us know the hotel would be providing a late night happy hour for post-wedding celebrants. I thought this was great as there are not any bars nearby and I didn't want my guests driving. I added this to our welcome message and LESS THAN 24 HOURS prior the hotel called and said that "no one would have promised the bar and that they never do something like that." Again, I hadn't asked for this service, it was offered. The staff then told us that they don't like "my kind" at the hotel. The only thing I can imagine that meant was happy, celebratory people. They then pre-emptively threatened to call the police if any of my guests was too intoxicated or caused problems. I was extremely insulted by this behavior and felt my business was unwelcome and undesired. Anyone who has worked in any sort of customer service knows that making your guests feel welcome is rule number one.

Rooms:
Several of the rooms had dead outlets so people couldn't program the alarm clock (calls to the front desk requesting wake-up calls were unanswered), use a hair dryer, etc.

Continental Breakfast:
The hotel is supposed to have a hot continental breakfast. Unfortunately all the food was cold.

I will NEVER, EVER return and if you are planning a wedding DO NOT book here. The added stress and concern is not worth it. Definitely go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ajatmont13
Dave E, General Manager at Comfort Suites of Johnson Creek, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for writing a summary of issues that need our attention. No excuse can be made for you to be treated in a rude or condescending manner, so we as a team are truly apologetic that you felt this way. We have had many positive responses from wedding groups all summer and into the fall, so we will take this feedback as an opportunity to do a better job with our customer service in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I called ahead and asked about their so called "8000"sq foot "family friendly" pool area. I was told "It is beautiful you will love it!" We checked into our room( it was clean and comfortable however I brought a fan along and when I tried to plug it in the outlet was dead...I searched and searched for a light switch that would make it work.....none to be found. I did find one that did work behind the tv) We then took our toddlers down to take a look at the very exiting 8000sq ft family friendly pool area to find out that the kiddie area had no water. Needless to say not beautiful or family (with small children) friendly. We were so disappointed we almost checked out immediately. If we had been smart we would have gone in and looked before we unloaded and checked in. We will NEVER NEVER NEVER stay here again. 3 stars is a joke. The breakfast goes for about 4 hours we came down 2 hours into serving-they had sausage gravy zero biscuits, potatoes, scrambled eggs with cheap grizzle filled ham, 1 muffin, 2 pieces of bread,2 english muffins, a waffle maker, fresh melon w grapes, apple and orange juice well 1 glass of orange juice and apple juice. Nobody ever came in to check if anything needed to be refilled or to wipe tables off. Our room key had an advertisement for dominoes pizza so I called for delivery to find out the location of the restaurant was Wisconsin Dells. So we looked in the "book" about the motel and did find a place that delivered but no menu so I had to ask about everything from the poor waitress on the phone. DECEPTION IS THE ONLY WAY TO DESCRIBE THIS MOTEL!!! Lie after lie. The only good thing is that they discounted our room rate to half because I got half of what I was expecting.

Room Tip: DONT PICK ONE HERE!!!!! If you are going to stay anyroom would work they are very quiet and comforta...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Virginia K
The staff at the JC Plaza are very sorry that you felt misled by any advertisements about our pool area. The last ad concerning the kiddie was from 2009, shortly before the kiddie area closed. Our hot breakfast usually gets rave reviews from our guests, so it comes as a big suprise that our breakfast let you down. Thanks for the feedback so we can review our policies and procedures and make them better.
Carpentersville, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We checked in late in the day and promised our 4 year old he could swim. We got to the pool after dinner and found it not very inviting. It was very dark. only 4 of the 12 overhead lights were working and only 1 of the 3 in-pool lights were working. The pool was also very cold. Most disappointing was the mini-kiddie water park portion. It is no longer in use. That little fact does not stop their website from touting a 9,000 square foot swimmim area. The hot tub has a water fall feature but it only came down as a trickle. On the plus side, the room was big and clean but the coffee maker was in the bathroom next to the toilet. Yuck. The hotel is in the middle of a farmland wastland so nothing for the 4 year old to do. Again, if the kiddie pool area was working and they acutually had lighting in the pool area with above freezing pool water it would have ben much better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert M
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My family and I were very disappointed in our recent stay. We chose this hotel, even though it was more expensive than other similar hotels in Johnson Creek because of the advertised "9000 sq. ft family water activity area" which used to include a play area with slide / sprinklers and was a lot of fun for our young son. We found out (after we arrived) that this area has since been turned into a "dry" play area - i.e. they can play on the rusty equipment in the empty concrete wading pool. the rest of the pool area was very disappointing as well - the water was very cold in the pool and 75% of the lights were burned out the the pool area. They had also recently closed the arcade (which is also still advertised on the website), further disappointing the kids. the rooms were nice sized, but between our family's two rooms there was: a couple lights burned out, a broken toilet seat! (resulting in two cuts) and so so cleanliness. the other thing that really must be mentioned was the continental breakfast (which I understand is free - but again if your going to advertise... ) we went down an hour before it was scheduled to close and mos of the food was gone and they never replenished anything during the last hour. Most of the milk cartons in the cooler was expired and when my wife pured out one of the non expired ones we did find on her cereal - it was curdled! very disgusting! with all these things the manager I spoke to was "very sorry it hear that" but no steps were taken beyond that... We had visited this hotel a couple time when it first opened and it was great - but it has really not been maintained well and it shows, drywall in the pool locker rooms is mildewed, tile and concrete around the hot tub are missing / cracked / stained... overall we were very disappointed that we chose to pay the higher price at this hotel when the service and facilities we so very below expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms were nice sized but not maintained very well - broken fixtures / burned out bulbs, etc.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Awenthold
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We booked this hotel for our wedding guests to stay at (the wedding reception was not at this hotel). My first problem with this hotel is that it takes them weeks to call you back...terrible customer service! Second, our guests had multiple problems with the hotel rooms. One room had 3 of 4 lights burnt out, in another room the air conditioning was not working (it was in the 90's and humid) and another couple was first given a dirty room to stay in, then the second room had bugs (2-3 inches long!) and when talking to the manager, he laughed as my guests. Lastly, the kids pool was under renovation. I wish I could give this place a zero. Don't stay here!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank customer21345
JC-AGM, Manager at Comfort Suites of Johnson Creek, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
I am the general manager of the JC Plaza Hotel and Conference Center. I am responding to the customer review posted July 27th 2011. In response to the complaint that "it takes weeks to call anyone back" we do our best to return all calls in a timely manner to avoid any delays in service.

We are very sorry for the room issues over the weekend of July 27th. The room which had multiple lights burnt out was serviced within 10 minutes of the notification, and during our busy day we unfortunately missed those on our routine room inspections. The air conditioning issues were also subsequently fixed during the extremely hot and humid weather so that no

The guest that was given a room that was not complete was a communication error between the housekeeping and front desk staffs, and we will do better next time. I personally checked the complaint from that guest about bugs in the second room and found one very small beetle in the bath tub. It was as harmless as a fly and about as annoying, but unfortunately during the summer most hotels might see a few unexpected visitors walking in under doorways and through windows. This guest was certainly not laughed at. We take all complaints seriously and use them as opportunities to do better next time. This guest then received a complimentary room to avoid any more disturbance.

Unfortunately our kids pool has been a playground area since January 2010 and we tell all of our guests this upon reservation and check in.

Our most humble apologies for all who were inconvenienced by any lack of hospitality on this weekend.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 28, 2011

we came up for a car show looking forward to swimming in the kids area with my kids and enjoying the wirldpool , when we got to the hotel, the entire pool is shutdown thursday through sunday or whenever they can get someone to fix it, meanwhile, my kids are swimming in the bathtub:( not fun!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Altoona, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We've been staying at this hotel yearly for basketball tournaments for the last 5 years. What used to be a great family oriented hotel is now a disappointment. The children's play area in the pool no longer has water. The breakfast is now practically a joke - no eggs, bacon or sausage, just biscuits and sausage gravy, toast, mini muffins and cold cereal. The hotel in general is beginning to look poorly maintained. Our sheets had a blood stain - washed, but nevertheless, still visible. The TVs are ancient and always have been. And the rooms cost more now. It's no longer worth the money and we'll be taking our business somewhere else in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#1 of 1 in Lake Mills
Staybridge Suites Milwaukee West Oconomowoc

Been to Comfort Suites of Johnson Creek? Share your experiences!