“Finer Dining In Janesville- - Rich and Flavorful Italian Fare.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Aglio Ristorante
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Janesville, Wisconsin
“Finer Dining In Janesville- - Rich and Flavorful Italian Fare.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

We dined at Aglio on a Saturday evening for our anniversary. The "new" location is very nice and warmly decorated. We loved the Jazz and American Standards music selections that played softly as we dined. I grew up in the Milwaukee/Brookfield area and am used to having a wide selection of fine dining. Aglio is as close as you can get to comparable Milwaukee or Madison fine dining and that also means a few $ more than the many chain restaurants that populate Janesville in general. But the ambiance, decor, relaxing upscale atmosphere and food are worth it.
Onto the food. We ordered a bottle of Trapiche Vineyards Argentine Malbec red wine to go with our entre's . It was mid priced in their selections at $30. A good Malbec, but a different label than what was in the wine list. The young waiter was new, but well mannered and trained and very helpful. We ordered the antipasto salad to share. It was a bit sparse on greens, but had several small portions of pepperoni, peppered salami, fresh mozzarella, and shavings of Asiago along with some olives, grapes, and tomato slices. Later, we saw a neighboring couple order and share the Cesar salad which we will order next time we dine here. It was enough for 3 or 4 people to share, and had much more in fresh greens than the antipasto.

For our entre's, I ordered Fettuccine Bolognese and my wife ordered Lasagna. While we waited for them, we were served our salad and warm Italian bread with a plate of olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping. It was a welcome addition to the small salad we had ordered. Timing was very good and upon finishing our salad, the main courses arrived. The portions were generous and hot from the kitchen. My Fettuccine Bolgnese was very rich with both ground sirloin and ground pork tenderloin in a flavorful and well seasoned tomato sauce. The Lasagna also was a large 3"x3x3"" or so portion and also hot and well plated with just the right amount of sauce. It had a good balance of sliced Italian sausage between the layers of pasta and sauce. It was light on cheese which my wife preferred since that can be a bit much in Lasagna. All in all, the food was on par with what we expected in quality and price. We each took home about half our serving in order to save room for a desert.
I ordered Tiramisu and my wife had a Lemon Berry cake that was almost like a light cheese cake. Both were fresh and delicious.
In summary, we did enjoy our dining at Aglio. One small remark I would make is about the rather thin cushions that are on some of the long bench seating in some of the dining areas. These become a bit uncomfortable for over an hour.
If there were any other short comings to our visit, it would be that many patrons seem to like to dine in clothes a bit too casual for a nice cocktail lounge and restaurant such at this. And we are talking even many mature people who obviously earn a good living judging from the professional hair cuts, manicures, and other trappings. Even if jeans are new and clean and worn with a sweat shirt, this is more like one would expect in one of the chain restaurants. Really Janesville citizens, if you can afford to dine here why not at least wear some Docker's and a new sport shirt? And ladies, how about a nice outfit or even a casual dress? You would show others that you are proud of your community and also appreciate having such a fine restaurant as Aglio here in Janesville

• Visited May 2014

Janesville, Wisconsin
“Aglio's moving to the old Speakeasy in Janesville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

April 12th was our last meal at Aglio's in it's present location. We were told they will be moving into the old Speakeasy Lounge & Restaurant on High Street and will open in May. We could not have been more excited for them. Not only will they have a larger restaurant, great bar, and outdoor dining but they will also have private rooms for rehearsal dinners, etc. On Saturday, April 12th we could tell they were training new staff so they can hit the ground running in May.

I was surprised by the full menu on April 12th as it was their last night to be opened on Main Street. I had expected a limited menu but Aglio's continued their great service and quality of food as if it was any other night. I had a shrimp dish served with risotto. Most places in Janesville would just have served shrimp over a seasoned dish but the shrimp at Aglio's was seasoned extremely well and took center stage over the risotto. I had some of my husband's pork chop and it was done very well regarding flavors as well.

We can only expect good things regarding their move to High street. Good luck to you all at Aglio's! See you opening week!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank dcbest
wisconsin
“Great Service; Great Food - upscale”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

We had a wonderful meal tonight at Aglio. We had the special, 8 oz ribeye over their spaghetti, with fresh green beans and the italian beef tips, egg noodles and veggies. We also had the seafood chowder; excellent. The service was outstanding and very attentive.
The decor is beautful.

We are over-full. We could have easily eaten 2 appetizers, split a salad and had a bottle of wine and been happy.
The prices are very normal for this sort of atmosphere. $18 for one meal and $22 for the other.

I thoroughly enjoyed our server.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank memerry
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nickeled & Dimed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

I was so hoping this restaurant was going to impress me, but it only left me disappointed. Janesville is in need of a decent, upscale dining spot, but Aglio failed to deliver. My husband and I went here with two other couples this past November. Although the food was decent, the dishes were definitely overpriced. I ordered the Butternut Squash stuffed Ravioli which was just fine, but nothing special. I'd compare the food to Olive Garden, where we could've gone for a lot less money. But the biggest unpleasant surprise when we asked for separate bills. There was only three couples (six people). This was not a large group. We were informed each couple would be charged an additional $2.00. Also, a 20% gratuity was automatically added. Now, my husband and I have traveled extensively and eaten in many fine restaurants and we've never encountered such a money grubbing policy. Therefore, I will never be returning to Aglio and cannot recommend it to others.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Jackie061810
“Disappointing check policy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

The food at Agilo is wonderful but the policy that they have in place in regard to large groups is a great disappointment. We had a group of twelve and was told that if one person requested a separate check all would be additional charged $2.00. Which we all were as several people wished to use their credit cards. I would never again return with a large group. That was an additional $24.00 into someone's pocket just to write up individual checks. Sorry I don't feel that cost is fair. But it won't happen again to me!

• Visited January 2014