“Disappointing check policy”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The food at Agilo is wonderful but the policy that they have in place in regard to large groups is a great disappointment. We had a group of twelve and was told that if one person requested a separate check all would be additional charged $2.00. Which we all were as several people wished to use their credit cards. I would never again return with a large group. That was an additional $24.00 into someone's pocket just to write up individual checks. Sorry I don't feel that cost is fair. But it won't happen again to me!

4  Thank Karen F

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Finally upscale dining in Janesville!!! Aglio has been open since June of 2013. I have eaten there about 4 times since the opening and have always enjoyed the food, staff, and experience. I don't like to eat out on New Year's Eve as food is limited and pricey at any restaurant and service is usually lacking. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest I would rate their New Year's Eve at an 8; not bad for the first New Year's Eve.

Service was great! Limited menu; hubby and I had surf and turf; he ate the steak and I ate the tails. Size of tails were larger than expected although they could have been seasoned a little more. Hubby said steak was very good. Appetizer buffet was better than most but was disappointed there was no shrimp considering it was New Year's Eve and I'm guessing the meatballs were not freshly made. That was disappointing considering it is an Italian restaurant.

Dessert buffet consisted of a chocolate fountain and everything you could dip in chocolate. Cookies and biscotti tasted like they were store bought. Would have been nice if desserts were freshly made and choices other than just the chocolate fountain.

I asked for champagne and was either served an Asti or the sparkling Moscotto. It was good but sweet. I would have preferred champagne, especially on New Year's Eve.

Their choices in what they offered as far as fresh vs store bought might have been influenced by the weather forecast. The snow did result in several cancelations which was unfortunate.

Despite this review for this one evening, I would recommend trying Aglio. For Janesville you won't be disappointed. Food is good, they strive to carry a great selection of wines that pair well with their food. We've had dessert there before and it was been good. Service is great and what a nice intimate setting! My hubby and I have plans to continue our dining experience at Aglio's.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We live in Madison and often meet friends from Rockford for dinner. We were looking for someplace new and came across this place. So glad we did! The food and service were fantastic. We had the salmon, chicken Marsala, saltimbocca, and classic spaghetti. All were delicious. We also shared two salads; caesar and house Italian. Both were good, but just a little overdressed. I would ask that next time they go easy on the dressing. For dessert we shared tiramisu. Every restaurant makes this differently. While it was good, it wasn't the best I've ever had. Although we have ate much worse. They have a decent wine and specialty drink list as well. They serve steaks, pasta, seafood and have a few daily specials. I would recommend this restaurant to any adult. It's not necessarily a place for children. The prices are on par with any good restaurant trying to maintain quality.

2  Thank mami34
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I went here on a date this summer. What a great new spot! We enjoyed the atmosphere, the attentive service and the fantastic food! I had amazing ravioli, and we shared a very tasty piece of cheesecake that blew me out of the water. The prices were reasonable for the caliber of restaurant. It was a great place for a special outing.

1  Thank KristenZee
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Aglio had excellent food, super nice atmosphere, great service, and was not stuffy. Jess and I are really big on all the independent restaurants in Milwaukee, and for an hour we felt like we weren't in JVL. Honestly the dining selection in JVL blows, but Aglio was surprisingly a great spot. Portions were fair, price was reasonable (big appetizer, 2 glasses of wine, 2 entrees, and 1 dessert was $74 -- so it's not Micky D's, but totally worth it. Same experience in Milw would of been at least $100.). I had the tortellini al forno, Jess the chicken saltimbocca. Mine was great and her's was Amazing! For dessert a slice of caramel apple cake (wow!). Highly recommend. Next time anyone decides to go out for a nice meal, I'd suggest checking them out to support a good local and independent place so they stick around for a long time to come!