“I really wanted to like it”

GR's Sandwich Shoppe
Ranked #17 of 174 Restaurants in Janesville
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was my first visit to GR's. The entrance is very inviting, as is the décor inside. It was quite busy but service was fast. I'd read such great reviews and I really wanted to like it. I wasn't excited about the menu. I was hoping for interesting sandwich combinations and gourmet spreads and specialty cheeses but didn't see any evidence of that. I ordered the Reuben. It had lots of out-of-the-bottle Thousand Island dressing. I would not order it again. I also tried the Soup of the day Clam Chowder which is normally a favorite. I was seriously disappointed. There were gluey lumps in there that I couldn't even identify. I'm definitely going to give the restaurant another try since I'd love for this place to do well. Maybe I got unlucky, choosing two of my favorite things today. Yes, the prices are good but if the food is disappointing, who cares?

1  Thank trulike
GR0wner, Manager at GR's Sandwich Shoppe, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

"Out of the Bottle"?????
No! We pride ourselves on our all home-made creations! Our sauces and dressing are all made in house by our French trained chef. Shame on your tastebuds for telling you any different. They lied to you! We hope to see you again, soon.
Thanks for your feedback.
G.

There are newer reviews for GR's Sandwich Shoppe

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I discovered GR's about three months ago, when a friend mentioned they had it for lunch. I love mom and pop type establishments and I was told the panini was to die for. I now go to GR's on a weekly basis and invite friends and co workers to do so as well!

Amazing food!
Amazing Ice Cream!
Amazing prices!

1  Thank Kaleb608
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Great fresh food at reasonable prices. The staff are friendly, the food is fresh and plentiful and the prices are very reasonable. For a kids meal you can choose an entree with chips and pickle, a juice box and any flavor scoop of ice-cream for only $4.50. We will definitely be returning.

1  Thank Em D
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This newest endeavor by Janesville entrepreneur offers tasty and innovative selections (incl. vegetarian oft hard to find locally) at more than reasonable cost.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

First... GRs in on S. Harmony Dr. . . JUST OFF Milwaukee St. Don't miss it.
Come on folks..... Let's let visitors and locals alike know about the delights of GRs!
Look for the bright sign and awning to find this secluded jewel of a cafe' It is worth it!

Think Panera Bread. .. only better!

We've been wanting to get over to GRs Cafe for quite awhile and finally have for a few Saturday lunches and a weekday coffee/breakfast. For those who don't know Georgio is a master at creating delicious and wonderful soups, sandwiches, wraps and more. Daily specials are sure to be fresh and unique. . . and tasty! GR's is a refreshing experience providing the look and feel of a french cafe' in a casual, yet up scale atmosphere. The food and drinks at GRs are a cut above and you would have to drive to Madison to find something comparable.

We so far, have enjoyed a beef and 3 cheese panini that melts in your mouth, a tomato bisque soup, as well as several unique wraps. Georgio is a master at mingling flavors and light seasoning to create subtle and delectable tastes that will tantalize your palate.

So.... Georgio... hope you are reading. We love your mastery of cuisine and this wonderful cafe' you've created. Please... stick with it and don't change a thing! IT is so refreshing and no place else like it in the Janesville area.

3  Thank Jay N