“Rather disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Janesville
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Rather disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

At 5:30 on a Sunday eve after traveling over 700 miles it was disappointing to find no one at the desk. After waiting approx. 10 minutes a woman asked if she could help us; when we stated we were here for a room, she said she couldn't help us with either check-in or check-out. She did not know where the desk person was. I used the restroom and it was a total disaster. Obviously the hotel had had some kind of group but no one had cleaned up. Toilets not flushed, paper all over the floor, sinks with no soap and dirty. When I returned to the front desk a young man was going behind the desk. He made no apology or explanation as to where he had been. We had used our priority points for our room or we would have left. Our room was not at all like other HIE we have stayed at. Our room had a connecting one and upon entering there was a strong smell of smoke. I called the front desk and was told it was a non smoking bldg, so I must be mistaken???? The linens at HIE are always top notch, but these had definitely seen better days. We travel through here at least twice a year and had never stayed so were looking forward to it. We would put this only as an average place for the price. The continental breakfast was good and a good assortment of food. Hopefully we just came on a bad night for happy staff...........

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beldan2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

comfortable and clean, bedding very nice, good breakfast, nice location

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2009

This hotel is a cute little hotel in the perfect location. Its across the street from Wal-Mart and within walking distance of a convenience store and 2 restaurents (a chilis like restaurant and a Fudruckers) Olive Garden and a excellent Mexican restaurant were only a mile away. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable, and this says a lot becuase I am very opinionated about how soft my bed has to be and I need at least 4 pillows to sleep with. The breakfast in the morning was hot and freshly made and there were many choices from bacon and eggs to make your own waffles. Check in and out was fast and painless and my final bill was slipped under my door the morning of checkout. Internet access is free; wireless in the lobby and corded in the rooms.

• Liked — Clean linens, furniture, and expertly cleaned bathroom
  • Disliked — the pool was visible from the lobby, so if you are shy its not the pool for you
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sheboygan Falls, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

I have stayed here in the past, but this time I was surprised to find that they had put new carpet in the rooms. It wasn't an overwhelming smell, but you knew when you walked in the room.
I liked that because it tells me they are taking care of the property.

The breakfast was great. Besides the yummy warm cinnamon buns, they had biscuits and gravy, and sausage patties.

The room was clean and comfy. I'd stay here again.

The only unusual thing I can say about my stay was that the TV didn't work. All we had was snow. I was ready to go to bed and didn't really want to call for a repair person and get dressed again, then wait around for them to arrive and figure it out....so I did a little investigating and found that someone had completely disconnected the cable from the wall. I reattached it and the TV worked just fine.

• Liked — New carpet, comfy bed, warm breakfast.
  • Disliked — Having to share the breakfast room with such a large crowd of people. It was busy.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

My seventy-five year old mother and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Janesville Wisconsin for the night of Saturday, September 27th, 2008. When making our reservations online, we requested a room on the top floor, away from the elevator and the Interstate, and that is what we were given.

The medium-sized room included a very loud slamming door, two queen-sized beds, each with four pillows on them, a clock radio, one regular chair and one office-type chair with a table/desk, a large television with quite a range of channels (but no remote), a coffeemaker, and an iron/ironing board. My call to the front desk resulted in the quick arrival of a replacement remote.

The very large bathroom had plenty of room to move around in, and included four sets of towels, a hairdryer, bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and lotion, a make-up remover, as well as two bars of soap. There was sort of a handle in the shower, but it broke off when my mother tried to hold on to it. Fortunately, she did not injure herself, but it should have been secured much better.

One interesting thing we found at this particular Holiday Inn Express is that you need to insert your room key into a slot by the door in order to operate the power and thermostat in the room.

After taxes, the American Automobile Association rate for Room 503 came to $117.01 U.S. Funds. Overall, we were very comfortable in the room as it was very clean. However, the hotel does have paper-thin walls, so those who are light sleepers like myself may find “a good night's sleep” depends on who is in the next room...

• Liked — Very large bathroom
  • Disliked — Paper-thin walls
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank macmaroon
West Chester, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

Having stayed at many H.I.Express before, I will admit that there were certain things that made this a bit disappointing. But first let me tell you about the things that were good. The hotel is easy to get to from the the interstate and it is near a plethora of chain restaurants on 14 and on 26. The lobby was big--noteworthy big--but that makes sense later. The hotel is connected to a convention center which makes it very convenient for wedding receptions or business meetings.

However, they haven't yet managed to negotiate their size while still keeping quality service. The lobby is big because they have tour buses full of folk who all lounge, sleep and eat at the same time. Rather than planning for this--by having a separate food area, extra housekeeping and desk staff during those rush times, they simply make people wait, and wait, and wait. So not only did I see frustrated folks trying unsuccessfully to check into their rooms in time to change for the wedding they were attending, but I also stood in line for 15 minutes, like everyone else in the hotel, waiting to get coffee--and hoping that the extremely overworked food prep person had refilled the hot food trays by the time you got there. This food line was CONSTANT from 8 a.m. until they abruptly stopped serving at 9:30 on a saturday. There were no places to eat, even AFTER they opened up a conference room to seat extra people--it just smacked of bad planning and no interest in improving it.

The rooms felt worn, decor was limited and the bathrooms weren't as clean as they should have been. Lighting in the rooms was limited and sort of depressing. For all the trouble, I'd probably stay at the Microtel next door if I was to stay in Janesville again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — LINES for everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank prof
Columbiana, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2007

I stayed here for one nite. All of the staff was so friendly. They were crowded with summer holiday visitors but when I got there early they went out of their way to get my room ready so I wouldn't have to wait too long. The room was very clean and I loved the bed with all of the pillows - so comfy. I've been a priority member for several years now. I don't travel much, but when I do, the Holiday Inn Express Hotels never let me down.

Stayed July 2007