“Low-end hotel for a high-end price”

Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Janesville
Reviewed November 2, 2013

First of all, let me start of my review by stating that my husband and I were in town for an event that was being held at the Holiday Inn Express. For this reason alone, we chose to stay at this hotel. Unfortunately, because we booked a little late, the only room left was a suite. This ended up costing us $174 for one night. I was not happy about the price, as this is the most expensive hotel we’ve ever stayed in…even more expensive than our fancy, downtown hotel in San Francisco. Despite the price, we bit the bullet, booked the room, and hoped for the best.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we immediately noticed the construction at the entrance of the building. It was a bit of an obstacle to get around, but once we made it inside, we were greeted by a friendly staff member. We checked in and went to our hotel room.

When we entered the room, my husband could immediately see the disappointment on my face. It was a gigantic, apartment-like, room with a separate living area, kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom. Since it was just the two of us, we were only staying one night, and most of our time was going to be spent at our event, I knew most of the room would be wasted. I was right – we never even used the living area or kitchenette. We expected the room to be fancy for the price, but the room was horribly out-dated (from the 80’s or early 90’s maybe). We later found out that they were going to start renovating the interior of the hotel this month…it is much needed. I was happy that we had a king sized bed. However, the bed caved in towards the middle. My husband and I found ourselves rolling toward the middle of the bed all throughout the night. At 4:00am, we both woke up to the sound of a dump truck backing up (beeping) and picking up trash. The loud noises and constant beeping lasted for 15 – 20 minutes. Luckily, we were both able to go back to sleep until around 7:00am when the construction crews arrived and their trucks started making noises as well. It was also loud from the traffic since the hotel is near a busy road. Needless to say, between the uncomfortable bed and the loud noises (construction/traffic), we did not get a very good night’s sleep.

As for the amenities, the breakfast was delicious (hot cinnamon rolls). This hotel also has a hot tub and indoor pool. Unfortunately, the heater on the pool was broken the night we stayed, so we could not swim in the pool (way too cold). We did get in the hot tub though. Those were the only amenities that we used.

In summary, we paid $174 a night for an out-dated room that we only used 1/3 of, an interrupted sleep, and a pool that we couldn’t use. For that price, I expected much more. There was a Microtel right across the parking lot. We had contemplated booking this hotel in the first place due to its extremely low price ($68 per night), but we didn’t know that it was so close. Had we known that it was so close, we would have booked it in a heartbeat. I would not recommend the Holiday Inn Express, at least not until the renovation is complete. Unless you can get a room for under $70 per night, the price you pay is not reflected in the room or amenities.

Positives: friendly staff members, hot tub, delicious cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and a very convenient location near food and shopping.

Negatives: Expensive, out-dated rooms, uncomfortable bed, noise/construction, and broken pool heater.

Skip this hotel and go for the Microtel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
mkshis_11, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

I do apologize for the inconveniences you suffered. The pool heater has been fixed and the water is now warm. Our renovations will be ongoing through the Spring of 2014. And, once done, we will be close to a brand new hotel. I am sorry that that was not explained to you at the time of your reservation. A problem resolution has been sent via a private e-mail. Again, I apologize and hope that if your travels bring you back to Janesville you will stay with us again.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Not writing this review from my own experience, but my husband and son stayed here in June. Staff were excellent and accommodation good.
Whilst Janesville is not somewhere most people would be rushing off to visit, nevertheless their experience was a really positive one.
From my point of view here in Australia at the time, I needed to get information to my husband the next morning before he left for Chicago. I called in the middle of the night their time and spoke to this wonderful woman, who gave me her email address, which enabled me to send to her what I needed to. Sure enough it was slipped under my husband's door for early morning.
Holiday Inn's are usually pretty good, but because of this lady, I think Janesville, to me anyway, is exceptional.

Room Tip: All rooms here pretty good at this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel has been tired for at least the last 5 years. They've begun the process of renovation, which is a good thing.

We stayed here again recently due to work being done in our home, which necessitated us staying elsewhere for a long weekend. Our "suite" was the strangest layout ever -- and in the worst possible spot. (Under the stairway, across from the door to the stairs, and next to the door to outside. *sigh* Noisy, to say the least. And the room smelled like dirty, sweaty feet!!! Ick.

Plus -- front desk staff was sweet and helpful. Avoid staying here until after renovations are complete, if you can.

Room Tip: Don't get the two-room suite!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GloriaH022
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear GloriaH022,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is nice to hear that you found our staff to be sweet and helpful. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the cleanliness of the room may have caused you. We greatly appreciate your feedback and guarantee you the issues that you have experienced will be rectified immediately. We assure you that your future stays will be much more comfortable. Thank you again for your comments.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I was hesitant to stay at this hotel based on other reviews that I read, but I am glad we stayed here. I found the hotel and room very clean. All of the staff we encountered, both front desk and housekeeping, were very friendly and pleasant. The breakfast area was kept very neat and remained stocked during the busy breakfast time. I thought the bed was very comfortable, but my husband thought the bed was too soft. There were plenty of pillows, which I like. The physical property is dated, but they are currently undergoing renovations. We were repeatedly told about the reconstruction. However, the 7am hammering and outdoor machinery was still hard to take. There are nearby eating options so we did not have to drive. But if you want to, there are many nearby choices. In addition, there is also a movie theater close. I would recommend this place, especially after the reconstruction. During remodeling I may take advantage of other comparably priced hotels nearby.

Room Tip: The outside is undergoing reconstruction now. When it begins inside they will start on the top (5th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bruinvbmom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night. My experience was very positive. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and very quiet. The location is great, restaurants within walking distance and right near the freeway. My room did not face the freeway. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because the bathroom sink area needs updating in my opinion. Also no alarm clock in the room. That seemed really odd to me. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel where there was no alarm clock in the room. The free breakfast was adequate, better than others I've experienced. Overall it was a good hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Janesville one night in Aug 2013 in transit from Ohio to Minnesota. We have stayed at many hotels in the HIE class across the country and this one unfortunately is very worn and outdated compared other hotels in this class, we would recommend considering something else. A bit more information.

We chose this HIE based solely on our driving schedule and I did not check Tripadvisor before reserving, so we were arriving blind. Upon arrival in the later afternoon I had a good idea what to expect from this hotel before ever entering the hotel. Someone was in the parking lot was unloading their car using one of the luggage carts provided by the hotel and the cart looked so old and worn that I had a good idea what to expect from the rest of the property.

Check in went well and the staff was friendly, no issues here. Our first room had some quality issues and I returned to the front desk. The staff was accommodating and moved us to a new room. Thank You.

The new room was better, but had clear indications that matched the luggage cart seen in the parking lot. The door lock was loose in the door, the door was worn and the veneer chipped away at the bottom. Once in the room to lock the deadbolt you had to lift the door to line up the bolt with the opening in the wall. In the room the mattresses on both beds were significantly concaved in the center as if the mattress were many many years old. The walls had several dents indicating were furniture had been over the years. Thought it couldn't get worse, but then I sat in the desk chair and about fell to the floor as the chair was broken. On the bright side, the bathroom was dated, but fairly clean. All in all the room didn't meet my expectations or the standards of other in class hotel rooms.

We were only staying here one night and would be leaving early in the morning, so we decided to stay.

Breakfast was the standard HIE fair. The breakfast room was large so this was nice. This part was ok.

We paid about $110 for our one night which is actually a bit less than most in class hotels (it was obvious why).

All in all this HIE location has clear short comings to other in class properties (the staff was ok) and we would recommend considering something else. Depending on your driving direction drive a bit more to Madison or Rockford where you will find many quality choices. Happy Travels!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here request a room not on the freeway side of the buidling
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PzTravel
mkshis_11, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to critique our hotel. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. We do understand that we are in need of a renovation. We are scheduled to go through a full renovation starting in November. We would hope you could give us another chance after our renovation to accomodate your needs. We would love to show you what a great hotel we are and how much we value our guests. Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and concerns with us.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

In room Wi-Fi is a plus, and there isn't much highway noise despite being very close to I-90. Manager's reception on Monday through Thursday is a nice touch and there is a Texas Roadhouse restaurant the delivers to the hotel. Plenty of other restaurant and shopping options nearby. Only drawback is the fitness room has very little equipment and the indoor pool is a bit small.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room away from the highway. The road noise is pretty light tho...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. Our guests thoughts and concerns are our top priority. We use all of our guests feedback to learn how to better serve our guests by knowing what is most important to them. We want all of our guests to leave felling satisfied in their experience here with us. We are going to be going through a renovation starting the end of this year. We will be updating our fitness room at that time. We hope we have the opportunity to accomodate your stay while you are in Janesville in the future and you are able to enjoy the changes after the renovation is finished. Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to give us your feedback.