“Nice for its class. Clean, quiet.”

Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Janesville
Tacoma, WA
“Nice for its class. Clean, quiet.”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I had to work in Janesville for three weeks and was put up at this hotel.
The staff was friendly and helpful. Despite being here a long time I was greeted by smiles and hellos every time I walked in. There was ample free parking and I always felt secure.
Some areas of the hotel are being cosmetically updated this year, no construction. I had a room with a king bed. Room cleaning occurred about 1130 each day for me. Most such rooms are being equipped with a refrigerator and microwave; in the meantime, put in a request if you will actually need one. I know the maintenance staff gets on troubles ASAP. We were having an extreme heat wave. Last night the guy replaced 9 units that started having trouble (I heard about it the next day). My room had no problems. The grounds and hotel were clean and neat. The laundry room has only one washer and one dryer. You will need quarters; the front desk can provide change. There is a decent sized pool and hot tub. The exercise room is very small with only about three machines. No restaurant, but who needs one . . . read below location comments.

The room has a desk with chair and a comfortable couch. An ample dresser has four drawers. Atop that is an LCD TV of adequate size for the room. It has plugins that could adapt peripherals. There are multiple lamps to keep it bright. The bed was comfortable. The closet is a small open one near the door. The bathroom, sink and toilet area were all one, no separate sink. It was a tub/shower arrangement with a bowed out curtain. The shower head is at about 6 feet.

There is an included breakfast bar with bagels, English muffins (one four slot toaster that is a bit slow), a pancake maker, fresh cinnamon rolls, yogurt, cereals, instant oatmeal, bacon or sausage (not both), biscuits and gravy, several coffees and hot water. At 5 on some weekdays there has been free popcorn and beer; I am unclear on the regularity of this.

Location is convenient to shopping and restaurants. Within a couple of miles there are a couple of major grocery stores, Walmart, Home Depot, Staples, Best Buy, Texas Roadhouse, Famous Dave's, Walmart, Mercy Urgent Care, McDs, a mall (with fast food) Red Robin and more. Within four miles are more restaurants. St Mary's Hospital is less than ten minutes away. There is a multiplex theater a mile away. Fudrucker's restaurant is in the parking lot. Across the street is a Travel America with gas, convenience store, truck service and I think a laundromat.

Most entertainment is out of town. Madison is the main urban destination, about 45 minutes away. But there are other places to go within the same time. Archealogical Indian mounds of Mississippian and even more prehistoric peoples, big and small farms, many lakes, small towns that are a combination of nostalgia and keeping up, a restored Ft Atkinson with palisades and blockhouses. Apparent Cave of the Mounds is not far. Milwaukee, and the Brewers, are 1h 20m, Chicago is 2h 45 m.

Room Tip: If you need them ask for refrigerator and or microwave. Know what is nearby so you can enjoy your s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank saberman
mkshis_11, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to critique our hotel and share your comments. The comments help to guide us to better serve our guests. I was very pleased to read that your stay was a pleasant one and that your felt you were taken care of during your extended stay. Yes, this summer was a scorcher and it was very taxing our air units. It was good to read that you did not have any problems. Kae Shisler/General Manager
kshisler@mhccinc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I love walking into a hotel and be greeted by the person behind the desk. The lady who checked us in was so very friendly and nice - really made the beginning of our stay enjoyable. The hotel was so nice, clean and comfortable. Our room was so quiet that I would have sworn that no one else was on the same floor as us or above us. The breakfast was awesome and we did the express checkout so there was no delays when we were ready to leave. If I have one improvement suggestion - I think they had extra seating at breakfast time in a conference room but I'm not sure. I wish they had put up a sign indicating there was more seating.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bountiful-IA
Thank you for taking the time to critique our hotel. I am so happy to read that you had a pleasant stay. And, thank you for the suggestion on breakfast bar extra seating!~ We hope to see you again soon. Kae Shisler/General Manager kshisler@mhccinc.com
Delmar, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights while doing work in Janesville and Beloit.

We arrived about an hour before check in and our rooms were not ready. However, they did allow us to store our bags until we came back.

The lobby is clean, albeit small. There are a few couches to sit in although it is not the most welcoming place to relax. They do offer free coffee and tea all day, which is always nice.

The pool and hot tub are ok. A bit dated but nice after a long day.

The rooms need to be update. The beds are so-so comfy. However, the bathrooms are extremely tiny and were a bit dirty upon arrival.

This was not the best Holiday Inn Express I've ever been to but if I was in the area I would stay at again because of its cost and location.

• Stayed May 2012
mkshis_11, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you so much for critiquing our hotel. We appreciate all the comments that we receive as they help us to know where improvements are needed. We strive to be more than average and we are looking forward to a complete update of the hotel. We are in the planning process now and hope to be finished in 18 months.
Three Rivers, Michigan
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Courteous staff, comfortable, clean rooms, nice little pool!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We look forward to having you as our guest whenever your travels bring you to Janesville. Let me know if you have further comments by contacting me at kshisler@mhccinc.com.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I was traveling as an inspector of hotels in Wisconsin area for a news assignment and found this hotel to be a little under par for Holiday Inns..I had issues with no one answering the phone when trying to connect to internet or for wake up call. The room did not have a fridge and seems "dingy" I think this hotel is in need of some updating. Overall it was an "ok" review but like i said needs some improvements.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony B
Thank you for taking the time to critique our hotel and letting us know of your concerns. We are in the planning process of a complete update to the hotel and should be completed in the next 18 months. If you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact me at kshisler@mhccinc.com.
Stevens Point
Reviewed March 13, 2012

This place would be last on my list. I was unable to connect to the internet with my laptop, even after calling for assistance. Almost 2 hours on the phone and still no internet. It worked at every other place I've been. Shower drain was terrible, I was in standing water. No mini fridge in room.
This place was overpriced also. On Sunday morning we had to wait an hour to get towels for the pool. I will keep on driving when I see Holiday Express.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear Mike G,

Thank you for the feedback. We strive to make sure every guest has a wonderful
experience here and greatly appreciate the feedback if they don't.
I sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wayzata, Minnesota
Reviewed February 27, 2012

A very helpful night staff keen on assisting with any need, was very much appreciated.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
mkshis_11, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your feelings about our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our staff was able to assist you in the manner that you expect. We hope to see you again soon. Kae Shisler/General Manager