Tripadvisor
Hudson
Post
Inbox
Search

“Pretty good food, slow service”

Paddy Ryan's Irish Pub
Order Online
Ranked #11 of 111 Restaurants in Hudson
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great to have an Irish pub in little old Hudson. Food was decent, but of course I don't have anything to compare it to, as far as authenticity. Main problem was service. Yes, there was a group of probably 16 to 20 seated shortly before us, but we were largely ignored by our server. Took an hour to get food after we were seated, yet we were visited by the server three times, and never heard "sorry it's taken so long to get food" or anything similar. Poor training, evidently. We will try again, but only one more chance.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (194)

Reviewed December 26, 2019 via mobile

There are less and less people here every time we come. It’s sad, really since we used to love this place. Last time we came they were out of two beers, including Smithwicks. Tonight they were out of Spotted Cow and Harps on tap, and were out of Coors Light, and had only 3 Bud Lights left. The bartender’s excuse was it was a big beer drinking holiday- what?! Today is the day after Christmas. Thinking there is no way that would be the case. There were 2 liter bottles of soda on the bar in Holiday gas station bags, and an employee who was sitting at the end of the bar eating with her boyfriend told the bartender that she couldn’t believe they were out of the syrups for every kind of soda. Interesting!
Our dinners were spotty. Waffle fries that were with my Rueben were crisp and good. The Rueben had good quality corned beef, but that was it. The bun was full of burned black crumbs all over- as if the grill hadn’t been cleaned and all the stuff clung to my sandwich. There was a chunk of something unidentifiable burned into my bread about the size of a quarter, and the underside was so soaked with grease, I had to peel it off. There was no Irish cheese, and I had to ask for the sauce it was supposed to have because I couldn’t find it. My husband’s burger was black on one side, but oddly enough he said it had good flavor and he liked his onion rings. Pretty expensive sandwiches to like the fries and onion rings out of everything the best.
$75 w tip was way too much for this dinner that was so disappointing.

Date of visit: December 2019
1  Thank Jilly070
Reviewed December 10, 2019

Even if you are not familiar with Irish cuisine you will sure to love one of the several Boxty offerings. Couple this with a great Irish brew or cocktail and you are set for an evening of great fun. We have enjoyed this restaurant for several years and continues to be a wonder diversion from the usual American cuisine. Give it a try, we’re glad we did.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed October 16, 2019

Our first time through the door and while the waiter/bartender was friendly that wasn’t enough to make for a completely satisfactory meal. We arrived for a after-the-rush lunch, and it was just us and the waiter until moments before we departed.

The menu looked fine with more than enough Irish-ish choices to make a body happy. But both of our meals arrived looking a bit sparse on the plate, and my entree which was supposed to have been lamb tasted more of bacon than anything else. The meals were just ok. I didn’t really think there was appropriate value for money spent.

There is some attempt at Irish mood, but being located in a strip mall the decorations don’t overcome the big empty box feeling. I wish them well, but there are much better places in Hudson for a meal.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed October 6, 2019

I've seen this restaurant from the highway numerous times, and finally tried it out. As expected, it is a pretty laid back, casual environment(personally I consider this a positive). We ordered the beef & Guinness pie and chicken boxty, and found them both to be delicious. The service was reasonably quick, and there were plenty of beer selections including Irish beers as you'd expect. We arrived on a Saturday night at 6:00, and had no trouble getting a table. I would not hesitate to return.

Date of visit: October 2019