“Ladles of Shots!”

Ranked #8 of 98 Restaurants in Hudson
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 2, 2014

This place is a funny, somewhat silly northern-themed bar. Tons of wood and deer on the walls, etc. There is a dance floor and live music. It is loud and fun. We were just there for drinks on a Friday night - so didn't try the food. The drinks were fairly priced and they have these silly huge soup ladles that you can order filled with ridiculous shot-drinks (the sugary stuff, mainly broken down golf carts and that kind of thing). They are $10 but if you're out with a group and don't mind sharing germs, everyone can pass the ladle around. It is silly but it's different and fun.
It was like a cross between a lodge, a bar, and a club. My 50+ year old aunts and uncles and my 21-year old cousin both enjoyed it, so its pretty even-keeled and appeals to anyone.
The bartenders and servers were attentive and friendly. There was a $5 cover.

There are newer reviews for Smilin Moose Lodge Bar & Grill

Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

I have been to some of the Drive In Diners and Dive restaurants but I had my family in from both Iowa and KC said this was their favorite burger ever...they talked about it for days!!! I have been here several times and love the atmosphere but now I love the Burger...bacon and cheese baby!!!

1  Thank BriN188
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We just happened to be in the area and asked someone who knows the town well if he could recommend a restaurant for a quick dinner. He named a few but was very happy to direct us to the Smilin' Moose.

When we walked through the door, I caught the whiff of a cabin in the woods. Hailing from Northern MN, I know what a cabin and wood smell like and this to me, was a very pleasant smell. This restaurant is filled with wood ... raw wood, polyurethened wooden slab tables, wooden stools, mirrors framed in split wood ... well, there's wood everywhere.

We ordered the Blackened Chicken Quesadilla and the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. The spice in the chicken quesadilla was more than I expected, but delicious. The chicken sandwich was ever-so-lightly breaded with a Buffalo seasoning and the side of seasoned sour cream was a nice accompaniment to both the sandwich and the tater tots.

We had good service, enjoyed the open sliding door that was the wall at our booth and were pleasantly surprised with this "woodsy" environment within the city.

We will return to sample more items on the menu in the future.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

My husband and I went here last night. We sat at the bar, in the most uncomfortable bar stools ever. Although they are solid wood, and look attractive to match the rest of the place, they are rock hard and hurt the back of your legs. I had to turn the stool at an angle to somewhat straddle the seat, which of course made it so I had no back support. The atmosphere is nice with all the open windows and garage doors, but my husband thought it smelled like a 'college' bar due to a combo of what smelled like spilled beer on wood. The younger man who got us our beers was friendly, but the woman who took over was very unfriendly. We had fried pickles which were really, really good. The BBQ chicken flatbread was just so so, and wasn't very flavorful and could have used more toppings. We had to flag down our waitress to get refills. Then she took my empty glass, helped someone else, and forgot about me, and we had to flag her down again. When we asked for our bill, she asked if we were going to use the credit card we had used to start a tab, and we said yes. When she brought our slips to sign, there was only the total, with spot for a tip, and no itemized bill so we could see exactly what we were paying for. When we asked for that, she sort of huffed, said nothing, and went to print it off. She proceeded to get more irritated when she had to ask for help on how to do it, then basically slapped it down and walked away. I think she needs some customer service training at the very minimum. I wish she had worn a name tag, but she has long black hair in a pony tail. Not sure if we'll come back again since there are so many great restaurants in Hudson. I would give it 2 stars, but the fried pickles were so great!

1  Thank Jilly070
Reviewed July 22, 2014

On Monday July 21 we went here for dinner. We arrived at 5:00 and the place was already buzzing. The decor is more of a bar than restaurant but a very woodsy/outdoor theme. The menu has many options and the portion sizes are definitely large. The sweet potato fries were some of the best I have ever had. I had a grilled chicken which was smothered in cheese. Excellent flavor. My husband had hot turkey and dressing and it was over flowing on the plate - very tasty. The down side is the accoustics - pretty noisy. We will return again.