“The Smilin' Moose Made Us Smile”

Smilin Moose Lodge Bar & Grill
Ranked #7 of 93 Restaurants in Hudson
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Eagan, Minnesota
“The Smilin' Moose Made Us Smile”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We just happened to be in the area and asked someone who knows the town well if he could recommend a restaurant for a quick dinner. He named a few but was very happy to direct us to the Smilin' Moose.

When we walked through the door, I caught the whiff of a cabin in the woods. Hailing from Northern MN, I know what a cabin and wood smell like and this to me, was a very pleasant smell. This restaurant is filled with wood ... raw wood, polyurethened wooden slab tables, wooden stools, mirrors framed in split wood ... well, there's wood everywhere.

We ordered the Blackened Chicken Quesadilla and the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. The spice in the chicken quesadilla was more than I expected, but delicious. The chicken sandwich was ever-so-lightly breaded with a Buffalo seasoning and the side of seasoned sour cream was a nice accompaniment to both the sandwich and the tater tots.

We had good service, enjoyed the open sliding door that was the wall at our booth and were pleasantly surprised with this "woodsy" environment within the city.

We will return to sample more items on the menu in the future.

• Visited August 2014

Hudson, Wisconsin
“Just so so”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went here last night. We sat at the bar, in the most uncomfortable bar stools ever. Although they are solid wood, and look attractive to match the rest of the place, they are rock hard and hurt the back of your legs. I had to turn the stool at an angle to somewhat straddle the seat, which of course made it so I had no back support. The atmosphere is nice with all the open windows and garage doors, but my husband thought it smelled like a 'college' bar due to a combo of what smelled like spilled beer on wood. The younger man who got us our beers was friendly, but the woman who took over was very unfriendly. We had fried pickles which were really, really good. The BBQ chicken flatbread was just so so, and wasn't very flavorful and could have used more toppings. We had to flag down our waitress to get refills. Then she took my empty glass, helped someone else, and forgot about me, and we had to flag her down again. When we asked for our bill, she asked if we were going to use the credit card we had used to start a tab, and we said yes. When she brought our slips to sign, there was only the total, with spot for a tip, and no itemized bill so we could see exactly what we were paying for. When we asked for that, she sort of huffed, said nothing, and went to print it off. She proceeded to get more irritated when she had to ask for help on how to do it, then basically slapped it down and walked away. I think she needs some customer service training at the very minimum. I wish she had worn a name tag, but she has long black hair in a pony tail. Not sure if we'll come back again since there are so many great restaurants in Hudson. I would give it 2 stars, but the fried pickles were so great!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jilly070
Winter Haven, Florida
“Bar & Grill - guaranteed to fill you up!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

On Monday July 21 we went here for dinner. We arrived at 5:00 and the place was already buzzing. The decor is more of a bar than restaurant but a very woodsy/outdoor theme. The menu has many options and the portion sizes are definitely large. The sweet potato fries were some of the best I have ever had. I had a grilled chicken which was smothered in cheese. Excellent flavor. My husband had hot turkey and dressing and it was over flowing on the plate - very tasty. The down side is the accoustics - pretty noisy. We will return again.

• Visited July 2014
Wisconsin
“Great selection, great food, friendly staff!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Northwoods themed sports bar with an extensive menu - appetizers, flat-bread pizzas, sandwiches, burgers, steaks, fish, ribs, etc. Something for everyone. I had a black & bleu burger with sweet potato fries which I thoroughly enjoyed. Burgers are 1/2 pounders - so definitely a lot of food. Others in my party had the blackened walleye, turkey burger, fried egg burger and a stuffed burger. Everyone enjoyed their selections. Our waiter was friendly and helpful - we never had to wait long for drink refills even though we were there at prime dinner time on a Friday. Food prices were average. We were there at Happy Hour so we were able to take advantage of $3 you-call-it drink specials. We would definitely return if we are back in the area!

Visited July 2014
Rochester, Minnesota
“By far the BEST fried pickles!!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We rode motorcycle and found this awesome Bar and grill. By far the best friend pickles I have ever had. We have since returned 3 times driving 1 1/2 each way just to eat here. Absolutely everything we have ate has been delicious! Great Wild Rice Soup, wings, sandwiches and burgers! Delicious Margaritas! We continue to drive the 1 1/2 hours to bring our friends and family here! Very close to the river if you are on the Mississippi River for the day!

• Visited June 2014