“MAY NEED A GPS TO GET THERE BUT WELL WORTH IT!”

The Fox & Hounds Restaurant & Tavern
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Hubertus
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In 1845, the first clerk of Washington County built a quaint, one-room cabin in the wooded, rolling hills of the northern Kettle Moraine. Nearly 90 years later, Ray Wolf, an avid horseman, restored the cabin, added a basement bar and opened it to fellow equestrians. It soon became headquarters for many a fox hunt, and so the name, “Fox & Hounds” was a natural when the Wolfs opened their restaurant in 1933. You’re invited to relive your wonderful memories of time spent at the historic Fox & hounds and share new memories with us at The New Fox & Hounds Restaurant & Tavern.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Wooded country back roads will lead you down a narrow road only to open up to a large parking lot in front of the Lodge.
I was treating my son for his birthday and a bonding evening. Since I now live many States away, it was a nice place for the two of us to enjoy a good meal and quiet alone time.
When we arrived on a Saturday night around 5 pm the parking lot was quite crowded., However, I must state that they have a "party room" which looked like it was going to be in use . The décor is one of a Lodge. There is the party room to the left, check in straight ahead and a bar (which was busy) to the right.
We were seated in a room immediately as we did make a reservation. The restaurant gives a small appearance but looking around it appears there are many hidden rooms with tables. We liked it as then each room doesn't feel crowded.
Our waitress (Sarah) was a gem. You could tell she knew what she was doing, (i.e.
I watched her take an order at another table and yet out of the corner of her eye she was overseeing how her other tables were doing.)
We ordered 2 Tequila Sunrise and an appetizer of Portabello Mushrooms stuffed with crab and cheese We both felt the drinks were a bit strong and I personally did not care for the appetizer. I liked the mushrooms but not the stuffing( there was a light zing to it, probably a red pepper was used in stuffing). My son on the other hand thought it was good. I would not order them again, he would. Matter of taste.
We then proceeded to order dinner. He ordered the Asparagus and Ham Soup and Stuffed Salmon. I ordered the Salad with Garlic/Feta cheese dressing.. and the 1/2 duck with orange sherry sauce and a glass of wine.
The soup was creamy but could have used a bit more asparagus tips. Otherwise very good,
The salmon was stuffed with shrimp/crabmeat and topped with a dill sauce. Instead of filleting the fish they actually formed a pocket in the fish and filled it. He would recommend it highly as it was really quite light.
My salad was a typical salad with greens, tomato and a slice of cucumber. The dressing was more of an Italian flavor with minced feta. Good though. The duck was crispy and I especially liked the fact that they served the sherry/orange sauce on the side. Much easier and cleaner to eat. I would also recommend this meal.
There were approx. 6 variety of desserts, some of which were the snickers cheese cake, carrot cake with no nuts, shaum torte, a sugarless type pudding, chocolate cake and hot fudge sundae.
We took home the snickers cheesecake and carrot cake. The carrot cake was ok with too much frosting but the snickers cheesecake was fabulous.
My son did ordered a White Russian Chocolate Mint drink after dinner. Settled his fullness but said this too was a bit too strong.
Would we be returning at any time???? Most assuredly. He can't wait to get back for a special night.

TAKE NOTE: On Friday and Saturday night they have a couple of specials, the Sat. prime rib and 2 for 1 dinners. We weren't even aware of it until our waitress slipped it into her dialog. So if it's your first time, ask about it. Well worth it.
There is also a bar downstairs that opens at 6pm and has music from 60's, 70's, and 80's. Also outside seating,
Don't have any info on this but they also have a Sunday brunch

1  Thank girlfriends2
There are newer reviews for The Fox & Hounds Restaurant & Tavern

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I took my mom and some aunts there a couple Sunday's ago for the Sunday brunch. Beautiful drive, beautiful setting near Holy Hill. The food was really good and sometimes you wonder when you have a brunch/buffet. But The Fox and Hounds brunch was warm, tasty, had a great presentation and many options to chose from... Meats, sides and sweets, breakfast and lunch choices as well. FYI... they even had diabetic dessert options as well. Looking forward to making this a tradition.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

.........after reading some of the reviews .....why the waitress ....and I use the term charitably ...insulted on of our guests by exclaiming in a near yelling tone ...."You know the soda refills aren't free!"

It appears as they have have had some negative feedback because they charge for refills on soda.

My wife, a Filipino American, and I frequently visit Holy Hill often with other Filipino friends often from the Chicago area. Purely from seeing the sign, we tried to stop for Sunday Brunch without reservations a few times and were told there were no openings. I tried a week or so in advance for Mothers Day and they were booked as well. (Had an excellent brunch at Butler Inn of Pewaukee by the way on that day without reservations).

So her birthday was coming and we had friends from Chicago coming to join us at Holy Hill so I made a reservation for six. One guest brought a friend so we ended up with seven. There were two American caucasian men in their sixties and five Filipino women between 40 and early sixties. The food at the brunch was quite good and variety was more than satisfactory ....in fact you could almost call it a bargain.

About 3/4 of the way through our visit, one of the ladies indicated to the waitress that she wanted a refill on her soda. And as the introduction states, in a loud voice the waitress belts out .... ."You know the soda refills aren't free!"

I should add .....the anorexic looking waitress clad in black spandex top and bottom with a silver ring hanging from her right nostril over our food belts out in a loud voice ....."You know the soda refills aren't free!" The Filipino lady reacted as I did and looked like she had been slapped in the face. I quickly stated that would be fine and please bring the refill. I quickly glanced down to see if I had forgotten to change out of my Oshkosh B'Gosh Bibs and shitkicker Walmart tennis shoes ....nope ....didn't look too bad.

Looked around the table ....all of the women were dressed quite appropriately and all of them had some item of jewelry in 24k (Filipina tradition) .....any one of the Coach, Michael Kors or Louis Vuitton purses the ladies were toting would have cost more than the entire outfit (including Amanda's nose ring and tat) our waitress (oops I slipped ...wasn't going to publish her name) was wearing.

I immediately lost my appetite, the women chatted in Tagalog, hoping I wouldn't understand but it was obvious what they were discussing. Up until that time, we were having a wonderful time; although it had been somewhat obvious to me that Amanda was cheerfully flitting from table to table refilling water and coffee and I never hear her warn anyone else about the impending disaster of ordering a soda refill. But in our case, I had to signal or call to get coffee or water and somewhat amusingly by the time I had gotten ready to eat some dessert ....Amanda had removed all of my silverware from the table except for my knife.

But by this time I had already gotten up from the table, gone to the hostess station and asked if there was a manager on duty. I told him that the food was good, that I had gotten over the (somewhat used) diaper that was left sitting on the toilet paper dispenser in the men's room and that I had ignored the lack of service by Amanda but that her insulting tone responding to one of our guests was the last straw.

The manager didn't seem surprised and simply said I'll take care of it and I returned to our table.

My second to last observation is that in today's economy in a service business, it's hard to imagine how a waitress with an attitude, demeanor and appearance could retain her job without a familial or other relationship protecting her position.

My final observation is ....that my wife and I were the only ones in our group that have not been to the Copper Dock. I was there several time when it was still Anderson's but never under the current ownership. In fact, the four Filipino ladies that had been to the Copper Dock on several occasions wanted me to change the reservations ....but I of course knew better.

Well live and learn ....Maybe I should have checked TripAdvisor before making the reservations ....I guess there are reasons the Copper Dock is rated #1. In fact, as we were leaving, we were making plans to get together with some additional friends and meet at Holy Hill on my birthday in August ....and guess where we are going to eat? The Copper Dock ....maybe we'll see you there.

As an natural born American of German heritage..... I try not to find a prejudicial or discriminatory reason for bad service .....but Maybe if we had been seven white "pure" Americans our experience would have been different.

I fibbed ....one more parting observation ...all of the ladies at our table are American citizens, speak a minimum of three languages, are college educated and had to pass a test on American history, politics and civics that I feel rather confident Amanda would flunk!

You might visit Fox and Hounds and have a different and even wonderful experience. One thing that is true though. We are lucky in Wisconsin and especially the greater Milwaukee area and blessed with an abundance of excellent restaurants ....to the point that we don't have to go back to a place that expresses and abysmal lack of respect for any of its customers.

2  Thank Jake K
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The drive out to the area is beautiful in the fall, I used to go here at least 3 times each year but hadn't been here for quite a few years. When I did go, it wasn't what I remembered. It used to seem so cozy, and was "fancier" somehow. We had a tiny table up against a wall, barely big enough for the two of us, there was a damp, musty smell in the room, and although the service was beyond reproach, the food was disappointing.

1  Thank BeachGranny53
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Fox & Hounds is a short drive west from Milwaukee into the rolling hills and forests of the Kettle Moraine area. Having visited for dinner several times over a couple of decades, today was our first Sunday Brunch. As with many restaurants that have a long history, the experiences at Fox & Hounds has varied. However, I have to say that our experience today was a high-point. Our group of five this morning has been checking out different Sunday Brunches for some time now and all were in agreement that this one was special. From the Bloody Mary beginning, through the salads, egg dishes and meats, ending with a large variety of sweets, we enjoyed everything. The fact that the cost is only $14.99 ($12.99 for those over 62) only added to the great experience. The ambiance of the rustic building, its heavily forested grounds and location was a perfect setting for a wonderful meal.

2  Thank Dave B