“Great indoors or out”

Karibalis Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: One of Hayward'c finect restaurants since 1922. Operated by the same family. Full menu, casual atmosphere. Northwoods atmosphere.Recently remodeled. Popular outdoor deck in back. Friday Night Fish Fry
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We've always had great meals at Karb's in Hayward. We recently discovered their outdoor seating area and that's where we'll take our food from now on. The food is good and the service is fast and the water glasses are filled quickly which sometimes isn't the case in other restaurants. On a nice day, don't forget about the outdoor dining area.

1  Thank ScottyG777

Reviewed September 4, 2012

On our way up to "the lake" we tried to stop at 3 currently popular restaurants in Hayward that had waits of more than an hour. We ended up at Karibalis for a pleasant surprise. The atmosphere was welcoming, the wait staff attentive and the food very good. It is an "old fashioned" supper club but they have adjusted their menu to include modern tastes. I will bypass the others and go straight here next time!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Available outdoor seating in rear of restaurant.Family style, serve liquor, wine and beer. Old motif. Popular with locals as well as tourists.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Karibalis has been in operation for years and years, and I'd think it could be a little more "with it" in atmosphere (except the patio) and food. You enter through the front door into a very dark bar and are greeted by, I think, a Karibalis relative who seems to hate his lot in life. We went for lunch because I was afraid to chance going there for dinner. We were seated in the patio, which was quite lovely. Service was good. My husband ordered chicken wings and they were OK. I ordered a Blue cheese hamburger with tomato. This is the season for fresh tomatoes, and this tomato was hard and unripe. Very disappointing. I couldn't finish the burger, and the french fries were just OK. We have had other disappointing lunches at Karibalis. Therefore, I am afraid to try it for dinner.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We where traveling through and stopped to try it out. We were asked if we wanted to sit inside or on the Patio. Patio of course...we were led by some big guy to the door and handed our menu's to go seat ourselves. Then why in the heck did the sign say "Please wait to be seated". Just really odd and became funny as we watched everyone be handed their menu at the sliding door to seat theirselves. We sat down and someone came and took our drink order. While she was gone another waitress came up and asked what we would like to order. As we were giving our order the other came up and they began arguing who the table belonged to. We were told that "Their boss was in a bad mood!" So then we ordered and the salad bar was wonderful. We didn't even finish that and there was our meal and it was great by the way. She took one salad plate and the other never left our table, we were not offered another drink nor a refill on my water, in fact we never saw our waitress again. We waited and waited and waited and had to finally ask for our bill, our plates remained and when our waitress finally appeared with our bill and we asked "Where do we pay?" Well you can take it to the front orrrrrrr I could take it for you!" We will pay at the front. POOR Management that for sure effected the service of this restaurant.