“A Slice of Heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hayward
Spider Lake Lodge Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hayward B&B and Inns
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“A Slice of Heaven”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My Wife & I just got back yesterday after 4 days and 3 nights @ Spider Lake Lodge - Hayward, Wisconsin ... It was like being in heaven the entire time ... we both started smiling the minute we walked in the door and neither of us has stopped since ... the Lodge is something right out of designer books (literally) ... the owners & staff (Jim, Craig, Erik... & Roz) were amazing and worked so hard to make our stay enjoyable ... the breakfasts were like they were from the Food Channel ... and the entire feel to the place was so unbelievable and most of all totally relaxing ... definitely highly highly recommend it and we will definitely be going back ... check out their webside for a lot of gorgeous pics that aren't "staged" ... they portray the Lodge "as it is"!!!!!

Room Tip: We loved "Let'r Buck"
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobj2832

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We spent a fair amount of time searching for a short winter getaway to the Northwoods. We wanted a place that was isolated, quiet, authentic, and located in a classic historic lodge. Spider Lake Lodge exceeded expectations. The 1920's lodge has been tastefully appointed with careful attention to every detail. There are wonderful little nooks inside and out. After three days of R&R there, we feel completely rejuvenated. It's just what we were looking for in an escape from the rat race of the city. We look forward to many happy returns, and can't wait to share this gem with friends and family.

Room Tip: We spent very little time in our room, but get one of the larger rooms if you think you will. Each...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I enjoyed an evening at the Spider Lake Lodge Bed & Breakfast in the middle of the Summer to get away from the City lights, and the daily grind. This B & B was the perfect respite!
Upon arriving at the lodge there is *fantastic design* and incredible details that are updated seasonally. I was taken aback by the eye for detail because other B & Bs I have stayed at in the Midwest, East Coast and in other countries, do not give such a distinct nod to their surroundings. Inside and out, the rustic cabin really draws on the strengths of the surroundings - it truly is well put together!
My room was incredible! With sweet and witty names I was anxious to check out the decor - again - it did not miss a beat with each room having a personality of its own :)
My evening there was spectacular - the bed was EXTREMELY comfortable! I was able to enjoy the full moon over the lake right from my bedroom window - it was really breathtaking! I mentioned I wanted to get away from the City Lights - The room was dark and cool- even for a Summer night. I woke up in the morning to the call of loons on the lake and the smell of a delicious breakfast cooking!
It wasn't until breakfast that I realized there were other guests staying at the lodge because it was so quiet.
I met the owners and staff that morning at breakfast -they were so kind and accomodating!!
I have already recommended this lodge to others. I will DEFINITELY go back for a visit! This lodge is exceptional. If you're looking for a cookie cutter hotel - this is NOT the place.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Hemingway Room and had excellent lake views.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Ace2e2
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I have stayed at Spider Lake Lodge a number of times in many different times of the year. Every season is special in its very own way. The summer has offered great outdoor oppurtunities whether it is traveling the many lake and river systems in the surrounding area, enough hiking trails to shake a tree at, and outstanding fishing. Yet, I still would find myself in the summer nights cooling, with my feet off the dock in the water. Fall is one of my person favorite times of the year here, the outstanding hot breakfast and full cup of coffee made by 'Roz' prepares me for what the day is to bring in the painted cover tree lines. Winter, which has been my most recent stays at Spider Lake Lodge, and one of my most enjoyable! With the Spider Lake frozen and snow cover; a day or evening stroll on the nordic ski's or snowshoes around the lake has offered some great deal of serenity with no wind, no ice houses, and not a sound. Outside the lodge you can't help but to enjoy the winter decorations and lighting. The owners of the lodge, Jim and Craig are outstanding gentlemen that have been able to point me into the direction of great areas of interest, events and just the great deal of knowledge they know of the lodge and the surrounding area.
All in all after a long day of enjoying the lodge and adventuring out in the numerous activities outside, I was able to come back to lodge ambiance that you can not help but take a load off, warm up by the fire place, meet some great guests, enjoy some laughs with the owners and yet have time and space to myself. I would strongly recommend this lodge to anyone!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I had suggested this B&B to my husband as our romantic vacation destination based on several articles I had read in magazines from Minneapolis/St Paul over the past few years. It has continuously been rated as a gem in the Northwoods.

The website is well crafted and visually beautiful which further bolstered my confidence that I had made a good choice. But it lacks an online reservation system which would be handy considering how difficult it is to get a live person when calling.

We selected the Moonahanis Room and my husband had asked about the size and ambiance of the room since this was a 'romantic' vacation. The owner assured us this was a beautiful room and often the choice of honeymooners. But in actuality it was a small room located on a shared wall with the kitchen and back door. The room was extremely dark with several of the lights not working which made reading in bed impossible.

This resort is now the home base of the owners primary business but as others mentioned - you do not see the owners often. I personally enjoy B&B's with a little autonomy but the owners are a bit too hands off. We stayed in the off season and wondered if the hot tub was available for use but there wasn't anyone to ask.

The lodge is decorated in retro cabin style - much in keeping with the period of time the owners are trying capture (a step back in time) but a bit too far on rustic scale - there were more non-operational lights then there should be and overall there is a very worn out and dusty feeling to the place. Our bed had a giant sag in the middle that sucked us into it every night killing our backs.

At $200 per night it is not a great value. It reminded us of going to a relative's cabin where you are 'roughing it' but we expected a lot more than this for the price.

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank Lainie_70
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My wife found the listing for the lodge and we spent a long weekend there. Strengths: As noted by others, the interior decor is excellent. The owners do this for a living and they do it well. The breakfasts are fantastic. Without the cook I would not recommend the lodge at all. The lodge is located adjacent to many national forrest trails. If you go at the right time of year, you are overwhelmed at the colors from the leaves.
Weaknesses: Although the decor is great, it is very dark. Same for the rooms. We would have preferred more light. The rooms are small and there is limited space for bathrooms. When we at the lodge, we needed assitance our first evening and there was no one available.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I spoke to one of the owners when making the reservation. He told me he had only one room available because a group had reserved the whole lodge and there was one cancellation. He advised me that if I did not take it immediately it would certainly be gone by the end of the day. When we were at the lodge we saw that not all the rooms were reserved and there was no group. I hate it when people are dishonest.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 365traveler365
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Yes, put us in the odd category of people that go north for winter.. :) My wife and I enjoyed it enough last year that we decided to go back again. The lodge is very nicely done, as noted by others. Great selection of books, music, games, snowshoes available, easy accessibility to x-country ski trails, and walks on the lake are always fun, especially when the ice is booming away in spring time. :)

Good selection of local restaurants as well - Lost Land Lake for fish fry friday was great, 77 Club was good for a steak. We'll be trying out some others this year. Roz's breakfasts really were great!

The rooms themselves are cozy - the main lodge however gives everyone plenty of room to either find a corner to curl up in or areas to enjoy with groups of friends, old and new. Fireplace, bottle(s) of wine, cheeses, grapes, what else is there??

Do pay attention to the directions on their website on how to get there though - some GPS's left people about a mile short of the actual location. Ours did get us all the way there.

Looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beaker13_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayward
Comfort Suites
#9 of 35 in Hayward
The Riverside Motel
The Riverside Motel
#3 of 14 in Hayward

Been to Spider Lake Lodge Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!