Flat Creek Inn & Suites(Hayward)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 07/27
$105
$102
Hotels.com
Comfort Suites(Hayward)(Great Value!)
$135
AmericInn by Wyndham Hayward(Hayward)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 07/28
Free cancellation until 07/27
$66
$60
Hotels.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsget awaypamhostsfishingboatscabinlake
Reviewed August 12, 2015 via mobile

We just got back from a 4 night stay here and it was wonderful. We love privacy and quiet and that is exactly what we got. When your on the lake you do feel like the only people in the world and the lake itself is beautiful. The pool was clean and the kids loved it and our dog loved the forest with all the trees to roam through. I would give it a 5 star except the upkeep was a little on the unattended side. Nothing was mowed and our screened in porch had quite a few holes in it. I can only speak for cabin #10 but it was nice, just not as spacious as they make it sound and the upkeep on it was OK. We would stay here again because we had such a good up north family experience, but for the cost I think we will try somewhere new next summer.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled with family
5  Thank Ballee3
GhostLakeLodge, Owner at Ghost Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2015

Thank you for the review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are constantly maintaining the cabins and the grounds, but it has been a busy summer and so have some catching up to do.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I spent a few days at the lodge over the 4th of July. The entire property is absolutely gorgeous, so close to the lake! The fishing was amazing and so, so very quiet. The lake is completely surrounded by trees, as are the cabins: as such, the amazing and ancient trees offer the perfect cover for mosquitoes. We knew they would be bad so spent much of our time on the lake.

The cabins are true northern Wisconsin and a little rough but if you are on the lake (or at the pool/tennis courts/having cocktails at the lodge) you don't mind too much. I agree with other reviewers that it seemed to me that all the cabins could use some work and the landscape could be updated but we enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Karen P
GhostLakeLodge, Owner at Ghost Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Our cabins are continually being upgraded and they are priced accordingly as to their condition. They happened to stay in our most rustic cabin, which is why it is also the least expensive, although to some of our guests that have stayed in many cabins it is also their favorite.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Just returned home from a fishing weekend at Ghost Lake Lodge. Had an absolutely amazing time. Six of us stayed in Cabin 3 - very spacious with amazing views of the lake. Literally 15-20 yards from the water. This is a typical northwoods cabin. The cabin was old but the accommodations were clean and comfortable. Nathan (the owner) was fantastic, giving us tips on where to fish and what to use. This lake is virtually a 400 acre private lake that we had all to ourselves. Saturday, opening day muskie season, there were 4 boats on the entire lake... I was shocked. Between the six of us we caught 4 muskie and 4 giant walleye, some bass and panfish, not bad for a couple days of fishing. All of the fish were returned to the lake! What I liked most was that this lake is surrounded by forest. There are only two or three houses on the entire lake. We ventured up to the bar in the lodge nearly every evening where Nathan and Pam greeted us with open arms. They were even able to get the Blackhawks game for us on the satellite t.v. in the lodge. We were able to order pizzas in the evening which saved us the trouble of cooking some nights. Two guys from our crew even took a dip in the pool which was freshly filled and heated. Overall we absolutely loved this place and will undoubtedly return! Thanks Nathan and Pam for making our trip the best we have had so far (20 years running).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Purpleworm22
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We new that the cabins were over 60 years old but they should be better maintained. You do not expect to see bits of kitchen towel in windows and were the walls meet the ceiling to stop the draft from coming in. Kitchen needs to be remodeled and checked over toaster only toasted one side of bread a lot of the kitchen knifes ect were rusty fridge was all so pretty bad.
Bathroom need a remodal as well. Like I said cabins are over 60 years but should be maintained and you could not lock your doors either which I thought was very strange . We will not be returning we also thought it was very expensive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Geraldine M
GhostLakeLodge, Owner at Ghost Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

I am sorry to learn that this guest did not enjoy their stay, and unfortunately once again they did not inform me of any issues while they were here. I do all I can to ensure each guest has an enjoyable stay and will do what I can to rectify any issues brought to my attention. The cabins are almost 80 years old and constantly undergoing maintenance, repair, and upgrading. The most updated cabins have a higher price point which is reflected in their quality and amenities. The cabins here are all in equal to or better condition than most of the other resorts in the northwoods, and additionally I provide more amenities than most. The long term guests have noticed the improvements I continue to make, and really appreciate them and so really have been disappointed that a couple families this year did not appreciate the accommodations. Please take time to read my literature and website, I feel that I have been frank about what to expect.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have been to Ghost Lake Lodge several times in the past but it has been 4 years since our last trip. GLL has made some obvious improvements throughout the property.

We stayed in cabin 7 in late July- early August. The cabin was just perfect. It has been redone in a charming fishing cabin style incorporating the old bones and nostalgia with updates that were needed but didn't take away any of the charm. The huge windows in the living room looked out almost on top of the water. The view is breathtaking. The fireplace was a perfect complement to the sunrise/sunset spilling into the room. The bathroom was a nice size with a warm, large shower. The kitchen is so tastefully done keeping the old feel of the cabin but with nice, clean and new appliances. I expected a mess of old, ugly dishes and was so pleasantly surprised with a cupboard full of a variety of hand thrown pottery. What a delight to drink coffee from one of those mugs every day. We have stayed in cabins 0, 1 and 2 in the past and I always loved 0 and 1. After staying in 7, we will definitely request this one in the future.

GLL has so much to do without spoiling the quiet, private atmosphere. My kids loved the clean, heated pool. We enjoyed tennis and the kids loved the "clubhouse" AKA game room out by the tennis courts. There are snowmobile trails that I used for some nice running with the dog. We spent a lot of time fishing without much luck (that said, we NEVER have much luck so that is more of our personal problem then the lake). My kids swam to the swimming platform and also got a lot of use out of the kayaks and canoes. Nathan, the owner, is so accommodating for all of our needs and he has a very friendly staff behind him. He puts a lot into GLL and it is apparent in all of the details. The lodge was much more social then it has been in our past trips. The kids found others to play with and there was always someone behind the bar for friendly story telling and to make you a drink. The nights seem to attract people in the main lodge area but it wasn't intrusive to those who chose to enjoy their personal fire pits in private. The Wi-Fi at the lodge works great and I can even pick it up most of the time from our cabin.

Hayward is such a cute town with everything you need. We loved Rookery's restaurant for some foodie type cuisine and Angry Minnow is a beautiful restaurant with delicious micro-brewed beer.

We have never had a bad trip to GLL but this one was the best because of the cabin and the improvements put into the resort. Our kids are 5 ad 9 and were perfect ages. We just bring some good walkie talkies and let them explore while we unwind with a book, puzzle, game or {ahem} nap :) This is the perfect family retreat to unwind and enjoy each other and nature.

The only thing I wished GLL had was more of a menu so that we can enjoy a lazy night on property without cooking. The only item they offer is frozen pizza which can be fine for a night but nothing special. The mosquitos were annoying but did seem to a lot worse when we wandered away from the property so I wonder if they spray some.

Room Tip: 0 is adorable for a small cabin and the location is very private. 1 has a nice porch and dock. 7 is perfect for a family of 4 and you can't get any closer to the water without a swimming suit.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family