“Everything you want in a Northwoods cabin”
Review of Ghost Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hayward
Ghost Lake Lodge
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Hayward
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have been to Ghost Lake Lodge several times in the past but it has been 4 years since our last trip. GLL has made some obvious improvements throughout the property.

We stayed in cabin 7 in late July- early August. The cabin was just perfect. It has been redone in a charming fishing cabin style incorporating the old bones and nostalgia with updates that were needed but didn't take away any of the charm. The huge windows in the living room looked out almost on top of the water. The view is breathtaking. The fireplace was a perfect complement to the sunrise/sunset spilling into the room. The bathroom was a nice size with a warm, large shower. The kitchen is so tastefully done keeping the old feel of the cabin but with nice, clean and new appliances. I expected a mess of old, ugly dishes and was so pleasantly surprised with a cupboard full of a variety of hand thrown pottery. What a delight to drink coffee from one of those mugs every day. We have stayed in cabins 0, 1 and 2 in the past and I always loved 0 and 1. After staying in 7, we will definitely request this one in the future.

GLL has so much to do without spoiling the quiet, private atmosphere. My kids loved the clean, heated pool. We enjoyed tennis and the kids loved the "clubhouse" AKA game room out by the tennis courts. There are snowmobile trails that I used for some nice running with the dog. We spent a lot of time fishing without much luck (that said, we NEVER have much luck so that is more of our personal problem then the lake). My kids swam to the swimming platform and also got a lot of use out of the kayaks and canoes. Nathan, the owner, is so accommodating for all of our needs and he has a very friendly staff behind him. He puts a lot into GLL and it is apparent in all of the details. The lodge was much more social then it has been in our past trips. The kids found others to play with and there was always someone behind the bar for friendly story telling and to make you a drink. The nights seem to attract people in the main lodge area but it wasn't intrusive to those who chose to enjoy their personal fire pits in private. The Wi-Fi at the lodge works great and I can even pick it up most of the time from our cabin.

Hayward is such a cute town with everything you need. We loved Rookery's restaurant for some foodie type cuisine and Angry Minnow is a beautiful restaurant with delicious micro-brewed beer.

We have never had a bad trip to GLL but this one was the best because of the cabin and the improvements put into the resort. Our kids are 5 ad 9 and were perfect ages. We just bring some good walkie talkies and let them explore while we unwind with a book, puzzle, game or {ahem} nap :) This is the perfect family retreat to unwind and enjoy each other and nature.

The only thing I wished GLL had was more of a menu so that we can enjoy a lazy night on property without cooking. The only item they offer is frozen pizza which can be fine for a night but nothing special. The mosquitos were annoying but did seem to a lot worse when we wandered away from the property so I wonder if they spray some.

Room Tip: 0 is adorable for a small cabin and the location is very private. 1 has a nice porch and dock. 7 i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank holyschmit
There are newer reviews for Ghost Lake Lodge

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I love this place! Stayed here with my significant other in mid July of this year. We did a lot of research regarding where we should stay in the Hayward area and once we saw GLL online we were decided. But still, you never know. We stayed in Cabin 0. It was the perfect size for a couple. The woodwork and fireplace were beautiful. Really nice, modern bathroom. Awesome screened porch. I've never stayed that close to the water before. Our private pier was 5 feet from the cabin. It was like a movie cabin. Had everything we needed. It was clean as can be. I didn't see the interiors of any other cabins, but they are all nicely spaced apart and secluded. It's woodsy. The lodge and the rest of the grounds were very well-maintained. The lodge is just classic cool. Lots of people come for the fishing which is, by all accounts, fantastic. I loved that they had an outdoor swimming pool, as that wonderful fishing lake was a little weedy for my swimming taste. They have a nice tennis court. The owner and the staff were terrifically pleasant and available if you needed them. They make a good drink at the bar. We had a wonderful week.

Room Tip: Cabin 0 is great for a couple.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Susan H
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This resort is a true gem! Historic, rustic cabins on a beautiful lake! We had one of the nicest vacations in recent memory and we will be back. We were here in early July 2013 and have booked another stay for the fall colors. Our cabin was cozy and clean with great access to Ghost Lake (right on the shoreline), and the fishing was terrific!

The owner is attentive when needed and otherwise respects the privacy of his guests. It has been an epic year for mosquitoes due to more rain than usual and the management was making every effort possible to "knock them back" for the guests. We were very grateful for his efforts and understand that this can be part of the North Woods experience.

The fact that this resort has a pool was one of the reasons we chose this resort and we weren't disappointed! Clean, refreshing and large enough for laps. The cabins were built in the 1930's and are in good shape and very clean. Linens were crisp and clean and we were impressed with how tidy and clean our cabin was.

Cell service is almost non-existent, but free wi-fi in the lodge placated my husband's need to check in and it's amazing how great it felt to unplug! We played more tennis the week we were there than we had in a very long time.

I just read the review before ours and I guess you just can't please everyone, but that review is simply not characteristic of this resort, the owner or the staff...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Grace M
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our welcoming was friendly and things went smoothly for checking in, but my spouse & I had our concerns just from the look of things – “run down - beyond used up”... Our concerns were beyond true. Having old cabins is one thing maintaining them & keeping them clean is another, cabin #5 was a dump. Clump of hair in tub, bug parts in kitchen ware, soiled smelly linens- so glad we brought some extra pillows - excessive gas smell from fireplace pilot or stove (both) major concern. You wouldn't walk barefoot in this place and as an extra bonus we slept fully sprayed up with mosquito spray because of so many leaks allowing the pest in. We cut our stay short because we just couldn't take it anymore - within the five days of staying there we saw one party of folk’s use the in ground pool, my daughter wouldn't because of all the debris in it. Trying to get something out of our stay at Ghost we played tennis, luckily we brought our own racquets & balls. The kids and I played foosball + billiards, while my spouse touched base using Wi-Fi inside lodge. The rate charged for this dump just made me sick, while in Hayward, WI we stopped at the visitor center and obtain multiple brochures with clean renovated cabins for a considerable lower rate for week rental. Checking out one day early also left me with further frustration - its 9:30am and I woke some strange women inside living quarters within the lodge she placed a phone call in order to get ahold of the owner staying on the grounds but in different dwelling, while on the phone with him I simply stated we wanted to check out. He didn't bother to ask why we were departing early - instead he proceeded to write up a bill at the wrong rate, at this time I stop him and voice my frustration. He then remembers our agreed upon price and proceeds to charge me that rate even though we are leaving a day early. I then told him we were deeply disappointed & just wanted to pay and be ridding of this bad experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Bryan F
GhostLakeLodge, Owner at Ghost Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

I was surprised at this review. We strive to provide clean cabins, and our laundry is sent out and done professionally. We are located in an old growth hemlock grove, so the pool does get debris in it, however it is cleaned daily. This guest did not express any of his concerns to management during the stay and so we were not made aware of any of the stated issues or given a chance to rectify them. The mosquitoes were the worst they have been in 30 years, we do fog to try and keep them down some, but there is only so much we can do against mother nature. I did inquire as to the reason for the early departure, however Bryan declined to answer and just stated he wanted to pay and leave. The Lodge opens at 10 am, his checkout a day early and before opening of business hours was also unusual. We work hard to ensure an enjoyable stay for all and will do anything we can to make sure that occurs.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed in Cabin 0 for a few days in August 2011. The cabin was remarkably clean and very cozy. We had a bit of trouble with the motor on our boat at the dock, when we told them about it they fixed it immediately. Our welcome there was very friendly even though we arrived late. We felt very welcomed and had a wonderful, restful time. Enjoyed boating around the lake, grilling, and sitting by the bonfire. Spent most of our time rowing around the lake, chasing a bald eagle to take pictures of it. Highly recommend this place for a quiet, restful vacation.

Room Tip: Cabin 0 is very private and very close to the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank cleozen
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Absolutely great accommodations! We had a family reunion at Ghost Lake Lodge and everyone enjoyed every bit of a 4 day/3 night event. Rustic but very clean. We felt deep in the woods yet every need met beyond expectations. Great times to really get to know each other ~ visiting to the musical background of Loons & Owls ~ at a camp fire by the lake or in cabin by fireplace; time to explore intruiguing paths (note variety of mushrooms, trees, leaves rustle as little animals scatter). We even spied an Elk ~ awesome! Lots of deer. Viewed the big results of beavers' challenging labors. This is a fantastic location for small - medium sized groups, couples, families wanting to get away from the hoopla of commercialization (& all the man-made madness). Yet a big variety of activities. Amy & Nathan are most delightful and definitely want their guests to thoroughly enjoy this unique and fantastic adventure. Highly recommend! Great memorable times are made at Ghost Lake Lodge!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank CousinCarla
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Stayed at the Ghost Lake Lodge with several groups of extended family (a pseudo-family reunion). All had young children (7/9 under 6 yrs) and did we have a great time! The pool was an unexpected pleasure (clean and accessible) and the access to the lake was unparalleled with the private docks that each cabin is equipped with. Every night at sunset, all the fish fanatics took to the lake for some outstanding muskie fishing and great stories. Wildlife were everywhere - beaver, loons, turtles, frogs, eagles, osprey...even the call of the wolves at night.

Kids could catch pan fish off the dock almost continuously so we've now got a whole new generation addicted to the sport. Amy & Nathan were AWESOME hosts and made the lodge the go-to place for billiards, a few beers and fish stories after the kids were bedded down.

Be prepared to bring your food as restaurants are not right around the corner.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family