“Nice setting, Nice People, Good Steak” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ranch

The Ranch
Ranked #14 of 83 Restaurants in Hayward
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Pub, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Supper Club
Western Springs, Illinois
“Nice setting, Nice People, Good Steak”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I ate at The Ranch in July 2011 and July 2012. Both visits were very similar with friendly staff & small crowds. The windows overlooking the trees & lawn was very nice. While our steaks this time were nicely cooked & flavored, the baked potatoes were soft skinned yet firm inside. I was disappointed vegetables were not offered as a la carte sides. Both visits were alright but somehow lacking in ambiance, food presentation & overall satisfaction.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Roscoe, Illinois
“#1, Maybe only in Hayward?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

My son wanted to go to a Wisconsin Supper Club so we decided to head to The Ranch. We made reservations for 7:00pm. We arrived a little early, and were told our table would be ready in a few minutes. We did not have an issue to wait a little as the bar area was very nice and had a drink. Only in Wisconsin, do they know how to make a Brandy Old Fashion. The Ranch had some wonderful ones. We were seated only about 15 min. after our reservation time. We were very surprised that they were not busier as it was a Friday night and prime dinner time.??? Our waitress arrived shortly after we were seated and checked to see if we needed any beverages and came back a few minutes later to take our order. We ordered the Seafood Sampler, Walleye Fish Fry, and Ribeye Steak. Loved the tradional Supper Club relish tray, the bread was wonderful also. My husband and son really enjoyed the clam chowder. Our food arrived hot and promptly. I have to say, it was just ok. My husbands steak was a little bland, the seafood trio was just accepatable. Nothing to brag about. The walleye was fine, but for a fish fry...just not big enough. I have to say the best thing here were the Brandy Old Fashions. Would we return, Maybe??

2 Thank gidget&rocky
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“I disagree with Jeff - this is a 5 star place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Jeff rated the Ranch 2.5 stars for below average service on July 5th. I was there that night and although service was slower than it may be normally, the place was PACKED. We did NOT have a reservation and were fully aware that the wait would be long. We bellied up to the bar and were seated next to several very friendly locals who kept us entertained.

We were seated at 8:15 (again - did i mention the place was jam packed?) and our food was well worth it. Cheryl, Beth and Barney have a good gig going. They work their butts off with a smile on their faces!

My hubby ordered the walleye which had been suggested by one of the locals we sat by at the bar. He loved it! i ordered the petite filet with the walnut bleu cheese butter and added shrimp. I enjoyed every bite.

One thing that you may want to take note of is that Hayward is EXTREMELY busy over the 4th of July. I had poor food and poor service at one of the other restaurants there and we were happy to return to the Ranch on the second night. Cheryl and Beth met us with a smile and our food was just as good as the first night.

We won't be back to Hayward over any holiday ever again, but i can assure you we will go back to the Ranch. Hopefully sooner rather than later...i am jonesin' for one of Cheryl's mojitos and more filet! Keep up the good work, ladies!

Madison, Wisconsin
“Not so fast with this #1 rating.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Here are the facts about our dinner at The Ranch:

We made a reservation for 6pm on a Thursday night, July 5th. We arrived at 6pm on the dot, and there was a line of about 10 people in front of us. There wasn't a host/hostess seating anyone or confirming whether anyone had reservations. We were seated at 6:45 pm., and our drinks arrived shortly after 7 pm.

Salads arrived at 7:20 pm., and consisted of a few leaves of iceberg lettuce, (1) cucumber slice, and (1) tomato slice. I ordered a 12 oz ribeye,and my wife ordered a 16 oz ribeye, which she split with my daughter who ordered the shrimp. The 12 oz ribeye was an unusual cut of meat which resembled more of a flat iron steak than a ribeye. It was only about 3/8" thick. The 16 oz ribeye was the typical thickness - about 3/4". Both steaks were average at best in terms of tenderness, flavor and fat content.

Service during our dinner was very slow, and it didn't appear that there were enough staff on duty.

Overall, I rate our experience at The Rance a 2.5 (average food, and below average service). If this is the best food and dinner service in the Hayward area, then the industry is in some trouble.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Jeff A
“Great steak and ribs!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

We had a group of 6. It was a busy night so we sat at the bar and were served drinks by the owner. Service was slow but the food was very good. The steak and ribs were the big hit for our group. The walleye was just okay as were the pork chops.

• 4 of 5 bubbles